Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Issues re EMed/Abbot Binaxnow Navica Tests.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 31, 2021, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: gudugan
CHECK THIS LINK FOR YOUR LOT NUMBER ON YOUR BinaxNOW Covid Tests for the extended expiration date:
  • Lot 195-200: https://www.emed.com/hubfs/Case%2001269955-COL-03030%20BinaxNOW%E2%84%A2%20COVID-19%20Ag%20Home%20Test%20%20Product%20Expiry%20Upda te%20-%20Customer%20Letter%20EN%20%20-%20%20US.pdf?hsLang=en
  • Lot 195-200 and 195-100: https://coronavirus.ohio.gov/static/binax-now/scrtechs-0381-v8-binaxnow-covid-19-ag-home-test-product.pdf
  • Lot 195-000: https://www.healthvermont.gov/sites/default/files/documents/pdf/COVID-19-BinaxNOW-Expiry-Extension.pdf

Previously, it was on https://ohio.emed.com/ but the link has been removed.

The good news is that as of mid-Dec 2021, Abbott Labs is apparently shipping only kits with printed expiration dates well into 2022.

*Hat Tip to poster Blue Skye

Print Wikipost

Issues re EMed/Abbot Binaxnow Navica Tests.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2022, 10:33 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by SJCFlyerLG
Has anyone ordered the emed tests recently? What is the leadtime? Their site does not say anything about that, and I know they have been slow to deliver in the past.
Last month I ordered over a weekend and received them that Wednesday.
Old Mar 7, 2022, 10:50 am

Originally Posted by Xyzzy
They still say that if your rder is received and approved by 6pm on a weekday it will ship the same day.
I ordered a pack this morning & already have notification of the shipment (which Fedex tracking confirms).

A couple of questions:
  • Are there issues these days with proctor availability or wait times for remote BinaxNow tests? (E.g., if I'm doing it at 9am in Italy & it's 3am on the US east coast, will I be SOL or are proctors on duty 24/7?)
  • How do the timestamps for BinaxNow remote tests work? If I test at, say, 1215am in Italy, is the certified result going to carry the date where I am or the earlier date in the US? (Is the answer here just "wait until it's the same date in both places"?)
I read posts going back to mid-January but did not see any discussion of either point.

Thanks.
2RETIREDTRAVELERS likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2022, 11:18 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by beltway
  • Are there issues these days with proctor availability or wait times for remote BinaxNow tests? (E.g., if I'm doing it at 9am in Italy & it's 3am on the US east coast, will I be SOL or are proctors on duty 24/7?)
I've done one at a similar time, and didn't have to wait more than a minute.

• How do the timestamps for BinaxNow remote tests work? If I test at, say, 1215am in Italy, is the certified result going to carry the date where I am or the earlier date in the US? (Is the answer here just "wait until it's the same date in both places"?)
Timestamps are in UTC.
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2022, 11:20 am

I ordered a pack this morning & already have notification of the shipment (which Fedex tracking confirms).

A couple of questions:
I read posts going back to mid-January but did not see any discussion of either point.

Thanks.
proctor came on in about 1 minute when I used in Italy on Feb 22. Not sure about date, mine shows EST in the app. Just take it when you wake up the day before you fly home.

edit-time showed GMT +1 at the time I took the test
Old Mar 7, 2022, 2:39 pm

A couple of questions:
We did two BinaxNow tests this morning in Paris and the wait time for proctor was under one minute for each. As already noted, time is UTC.
Old Mar 7, 2022, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Can anyone comment on shipping costs for these - specifically planning on ordering a 6-pack through eMed (Probably through UA TRC, though does it really matter if it's there are not). Also, this would be 4 people - I know they recommend having two tests per person in case. Is that really necessary for everyone? I'm thinking having a couple of extra would probably be smart, but I feel like 2 per person is a bit of overkill. Any thoughts on this?
Old Mar 7, 2022, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by emcampbe
Can anyone comment on shipping costs for these - specifically planning on ordering a 6-pack through eMed (Probably through UA TRC, though does it really matter if it's there are not). Also, this would be 4 people - I know they recommend having two tests per person in case. Is that really necessary for everyone? I'm thinking having a couple of extra would probably be smart, but I feel like 2 per person is a bit of overkill. Any thoughts on this?
Total verkill. We've used over 20 of these and have had zero problems. I'd have a spare just in case but that's about it. And if you order 6 more later on you'll still have that one spare...
Old Mar 7, 2022, 9:00 pm

Was about $18 for shipping. Plus tax.

Agree that two per person is way overkill. Just packing the recommended two for a single person takes up enough space as it is.
Old Mar 9, 2022, 12:43 am

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
With the new expiration dates, I was able to use one of the tests with an original October expiration date (and the last of my original 6) on Sunday for a Monday flight home. Now onto the next batch whose expiration date I think is now in May... I have another box of 6 with expiration dates near the end of 2022, but hopefully the testing requirement has gone away before then.

I was flying Alaska Airlines out of CUN on Monday. AS has its own partner with Azova, so there's no mention of eMed on the website. I had no issues.
Old Mar 10, 2022, 5:21 am

Originally Posted by mhy
The test is perfectly doable on just a smartphone (visit the eMed website on your mobile browser). I did both my pre-departure and return tests on my iPhone XS and I had no issues.
For those who have taken the BinaxNow test through the website (as opposed to downloading yet another app), can you do a short rundown of the process?

Based on a quick visit to the eMed site, it looks as if the process isIf you have more than one family member traveling, can all of them test in the same monitored session (and under a single NAVICA login), or do you need a separate account & session for each person tested?
Old Mar 10, 2022, 7:10 am
mhy

Programs: JGC
If I remember correctly, you log in to NAVICA while in the process of starting the test. Then you wait for an agent (wait was anywhere from 5 to 30 minutes for me) and the test itself is a 15 minute online session using your phone's web cam.

The way the thing is designed, I suspect every person needs their own NAVICA account, but I haven't tried it as I traveled alone
Old Mar 15, 2022, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
For those who have taken the BinaxNow test through the website (as opposed to downloading yet another app), can you do a short rundown of the process?

Based on a quick visit to the eMed site, it looks as if the process isIf you have more than one family member traveling, can all of them test in the same monitored session (and under a single NAVICA login), or do you need a separate account & session for each person tested?
Each person needs their wn NAVICA account. Each test needs to be initiated in a separate session. Results are emailed in a PDF file. I'm pretty sure that you don't actually need to load the app.
beltway likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2022, 9:05 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium (Lifetime Gold), Caesars Diamond
Confirmed you need a NAVICA account and can do it through a computer and not bother with the app.
beltway likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2022, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
Each person needs their wn NAVICA account. Each test needs to be initiated in a separate session. Results are emailed in a PDF file. I'm pretty sure that you don't actually need to load the app.
what about minors? I’ve got a 7 and 3 yo - they need their own account as well, or are they able to be added to an adult account? And for starting sessions, does this mean each person needs to wait ‘in line’ separately, ie, first tester logs in to start session, opens test/completes, then next person goes in, repeats process with whatever wait time? I suppose we can do roughly concurrently on separate devices? Are wait times an issue, for the most part?

Any difference between using the app or the web? I assume the app is helpful to be able to show results, but from what I’m understanding, at least for UA, you can simply enter the approval number (or whatever it’s called) in TRC and it will automatically verify the results
Old Mar 15, 2022, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

what about minors? I’ve got a 7 and 3 yo - they need their own account as well, or are they able to be added to an adult account? And for starting sessions, does this mean each person needs to wait ‘in line’ separately, ie, first tester logs in to start session, opens test/completes, then next person goes in, repeats process with whatever wait time? I suppose we can do roughly concurrently on separate devices? Are wait times an issue, for the most part?

Any difference between using the app or the web? I assume the app is helpful to be able to show results, but from what I’m understanding, at least for UA, you can simply enter the approval number (or whatever it’s called) in TRC and it will automatically verify the results
Wait times are no issue at present -- at least not for me or anyone else who has posted recently. Regarding minors, I've not used these tests for minors but Google led me to this text: "If the patient to be tested is a minor (age 17 or younger), tap the TEST SITE icon at the bottom of the NAVICA app and then tap the profile
icon at the upper right of the screen to add a MANAGED PROFILE for the minor to be tested."

Regarding the app or the web, the nly way to get tested is to use the web site, not the app. The app is mainly used to display test results.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.