Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Issues re EMed/Abbot Binaxnow Navica Tests.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 31, 2021, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: gudugan
CHECK THIS LINK FOR YOUR LOT NUMBER ON YOUR BinaxNOW Covid Tests for the extended expiration date:
  • Lot 195-200: https://www.emed.com/hubfs/Case%2001269955-COL-03030%20BinaxNOW%E2%84%A2%20COVID-19%20Ag%20Home%20Test%20%20Product%20Expiry%20Upda te%20-%20Customer%20Letter%20EN%20%20-%20%20US.pdf?hsLang=en
  • Lot 195-200 and 195-100: https://coronavirus.ohio.gov/static/binax-now/scrtechs-0381-v8-binaxnow-covid-19-ag-home-test-product.pdf
  • Lot 195-000: https://www.healthvermont.gov/sites/default/files/documents/pdf/COVID-19-BinaxNOW-Expiry-Extension.pdf

Previously, it was on https://ohio.emed.com/ but the link has been removed.

The good news is that as of mid-Dec 2021, Abbott Labs is apparently shipping only kits with printed expiration dates well into 2022.

*Hat Tip to poster Blue Skye

Print Wikipost

Issues re EMed/Abbot Binaxnow Navica Tests.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2022, 12:55 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K, AAdvantage Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by Dutch101
I wouldn't get too excited yet, Emed refused my test last week that was just outside their own 3 month extension but still within the prior 12 month from manufacture date FDA extension. they have no incentive to extend their own expiration limits.
The date on the extension letter is January 7, so it is likely eMed would not have honored any extensions last week yet. Now they have updated the FAQs on their website to confirm +6 months extension from printed expiration date, so anyone running into issues with a proctor could reference the eMed website.
Old Jan 15, 2022, 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by enviroian
So I have a few kits left that (with the initial 6 month extension) expired 12/6/21. So those are good for another three months?
What’s the printed expiration date? It is 6 months from that. From eMed updated FAQs: “The test has been approved for use for an additional 6 months from this original expiration date. In the example above, the test’s original expiration date is November 8, 2021. This test is authorized for use until May 8, 2022.”
Majuki likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2022, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by FlyingfromDC
What’s the printed expiration date? It is 6 months from that. From eMed updated FAQs: “The test has been approved for use for an additional 6 months from this original expiration date. In the example above, the test’s original expiration date is November 8, 2021. This test is authorized for use until May 8, 2022.”
The printed date on the box is 6/6/21
Old Jan 15, 2022, 1:10 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by coleslaw
If you need to order directly from eMed and they’re not a preferred provider then you can get reimbursed up to $12 per test. But it also seems like there may be a limit of $24 per kit/pack. That piece is less clear. Since eMed sells packs of six you may only get reimbursed for $24 (rather than $12 x 6).
eMed ships a box with six individual kits so that each kit is individually sealed.
Old Jan 15, 2022, 2:12 pm

Programs: SAS Gold, Aegean Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Are the test kits Optum is sending out have the same expiration dates as eMed? Do we have any recent data points?
Old Jan 15, 2022, 10:42 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
The printed date on the box is 6/6/21
The new expiration based on eMed's website would be 12/6/2021. (Did you mean 2022 in your post?)
Old Jan 16, 2022, 4:19 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA ExecPl, AT Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, National
Originally Posted by lskohn
New issue but the thread seems right: I tried to use a BinaxNow with eMed last week...and the Navica app eMed uses could not work right with the camera on my Pixel 3A XL! The proctor saw only a green screen. I had granted the app all permissions requested, but it was no good. And I could not flip from rear-facing to front-facing camera - the app was interfering with camera operation. I tried logging off and reconnecting several times, but the problem persisted. Tech support finally got involved and said that there was a known issue with some Google phones. Great. I did not need "observed" testing so it wasn't a crisis, but now I have to be prepared to use a tablet or laptop when on the road (or do what I did last summer and make an extra trip to the airport for advanced testing.)
Has anyone run into this problem using Navica on a Pixel?
Nope - I've done at least 5 of these proctored tests on my Pixel 5 with no issues.
Old Jan 16, 2022, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by Majuki
The new expiration based on eMed's website would be 12/6/2021. (Did you mean 2022 in your post?)
Correct the expiration date is 12/6/21. What I’m saying is thought there was a new extension that would stretch that 12/6/21 date further. Perhaps I’m losing my marbles.
Old Jan 17, 2022, 6:38 am

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Correct the expiration date is 12/6/21. What I’m saying is thought there was a new extension that would stretch that 12/6/21 date further. Perhaps I’m losing my marbles.
There was the first extension that extended the tests by 3 months compared to the expiration date that was printed on the box. Recently there was an additional 3-month extension. If the original expiration was June 6th, 2021 then the first extension would have extended the validity to September 6th, 2021 and now December 6th, 2021. This means the test you have is still considered expired even with the additional extension.
Old Jan 17, 2022, 9:53 am

Programs: Alaska 100K (aka OWS)
What's with the shipping prices of the eMed tests? It used to be $14, now $40+. No options for ground shipping for those of us who "plan ahead". If it's simply a "supply-demand" price increase, then increase the price, don't try to triple the shipping cost and pretend everything's the same.
Old Jan 17, 2022, 10:27 am

Originally Posted by QT31415
What's with the shipping prices of the eMed tests? It used to be $14, now $40+. No options for ground shipping for those of us who "plan ahead". If it's simply a "supply-demand" price increase, then increase the price, don't try to triple the shipping cost and pretend everything's the same.
You are right! Ordering now, and total cost with shipping to my zip code is $190.68. Does this have something to do with the January 15 rule regarding reimbursement of home tests? Or just supply and demand?
Old Jan 17, 2022, 10:33 am

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by FlyingfromDC
You are right! Ordering now, and total cost with shipping to my zip code is $190.68. Does this have something to do with the January 15 rule regarding reimbursement of home tests? Or just supply and demand?
it’s unlikely to be related to reimbursement.

Have overnight shipping rates increased recently?
Old Jan 17, 2022, 6:02 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA ExecPl, AT Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, National
Originally Posted by QT31415
Yeah - and it's annoying because my insurance reimburses the cost of the test in full but not the cost of shipping. So I sure wish they would have raised the test price instead of the shipping price!
QT31415 and FlyingfromDC like this.
Old Jan 18, 2022, 7:55 am

Programs: TK *G, all statuses that come with Ritz, Amex Plat, Citi Prestige cards
Is anyone aware of any retailer (online or brick-and-mortar) selling eMed or any other brand of video-proctored antigen test kits outside of the US and UK? I've searched the FT and TA forums quite a bit and haven't come up with anything. I failed to foresee omicron before leaving for an extended trip in Europe and the Middle East and would love to find somewhere I could pick up a few spare kits to have on hand.
Old Jan 18, 2022, 8:25 am

Originally Posted by lonelycrowd
Is anyone aware of any retailer (online or brick-and-mortar) selling eMed or any other brand of video-proctored antigen test kits outside of the US and UK? I've searched the FT and TA forums quite a bit and haven't come up with anything. I failed to foresee omicron before leaving for an extended trip in Europe and the Middle East and would love to find somewhere I could pick up a few spare kits to have on hand.
In case all else fails, I have seen many people successfully buy these from other travelers using e.g. Facebook groups to coordinate. The 1-day testing rule for return to the U.S. has made it harder though, but I have seen some offer these up for pick-up from their airport hotel after successfully testing (many travel with an extra pack as advised). Just be careful regarding expiration date, as there are many expired (or about to expire) eMed tests floating around.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.