Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Issues re EMed/Abbot Binaxnow Navica Tests.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 31, 2021, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: gudugan
CHECK THIS LINK FOR YOUR LOT NUMBER ON YOUR BinaxNOW Covid Tests for the extended expiration date:
  • Lot 195-200: https://www.emed.com/hubfs/Case%2001269955-COL-03030%20BinaxNOW%E2%84%A2%20COVID-19%20Ag%20Home%20Test%20%20Product%20Expiry%20Upda te%20-%20Customer%20Letter%20EN%20%20-%20%20US.pdf?hsLang=en
  • Lot 195-200 and 195-100: https://coronavirus.ohio.gov/static/binax-now/scrtechs-0381-v8-binaxnow-covid-19-ag-home-test-product.pdf
  • Lot 195-000: https://www.healthvermont.gov/sites/default/files/documents/pdf/COVID-19-BinaxNOW-Expiry-Extension.pdf

Previously, it was on https://ohio.emed.com/ but the link has been removed.

The good news is that as of mid-Dec 2021, Abbott Labs is apparently shipping only kits with printed expiration dates well into 2022.

*Hat Tip to poster Blue Skye

Print Wikipost

Issues re EMed/Abbot Binaxnow Navica Tests.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2022, 2:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by milehound
I followed the instructions per Abbott's Navica app which did not mention anything about video proctoring, only scanning of QR codes. (I didn't find out about eMed until I already took the test). I sent a screenshot of the results Navica sent back to me, which clearly stated that the test was self-administered. During the ~3 hours I waited for Verifly to get back to me, I panicked that I had made a mistake and alternated between checking the Verifly app, checking the airline app (to make sure my return flight had not been canceled due to staffing shortages like my original outbound flight), and researching in-person antigen testing options near my hotel. I was as surprised as you are that Verifly accepted my unproctored test result. The fact that Verifly did accept it suggests, as one commenter said, that this is another case of "security theater".
Verifly is pretty unreliable... e.g. on a recent trip to the UK, I accidentally uploaded an old Passenger Locator Form. It was accepted/approved within seconds. I've also had Verifly reject my eMed results for another trip to the UK. I deleted the trip and resubmitted the same results and it was approved practically instantly.
milehound likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2022, 8:48 am

I just took my test and got my results but started thinking, my first and last name and DOB are listed but my middle name is missing. I'm a US citizen flying back on Delta, will the missing middle name cause an issue?
Old Jan 4, 2022, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by coleslaw
Verifly is pretty unreliable... e.g. on a recent trip to the UK, I accidentally uploaded an old Passenger Locator Form. It was accepted/approved within seconds. I've also had Verifly reject my eMed results for another trip to the UK. I deleted the trip and resubmitted the same results and it was approved practically instantly.
Same here. I accidently uploaded my Geico certificate of insurance for my car. I was approved to enter the US in 5 minutes.
Old Jan 4, 2022, 9:31 am

Originally Posted by parrotheadmjb
I just took my test and got my results but started thinking, my first and last name and DOB are listed but my middle name is missing. I'm a US citizen flying back on Delta, will the missing middle name cause an issue?
It didn't for me. A DL check-in agent was fine with a CVS paper report on the outbound and Verifly was fine with Navica for the return, neither of which had my middle name. The proctor warned me it could be an issue but I ignored that advice.
Statman likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2022, 9:51 am

Originally Posted by richarddd
It didn't for me. A DL check-in agent was fine with a CVS paper report on the outbound and Verifly was fine with Navica for the return, neither of which had my middle name. The proctor warned me it could be an issue but I ignored that advice.
I had forgotten to enter my middle name into the Navica app when I registered my account and the proctor also gave me the same warning. I ignored it, took the test and uploaded my negative results to Air France's Ready 2 Fly link and was approved in about 15 minutes.

I updated my Navica app to include my middle name for future tests.
remaxmac likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2022, 10:10 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
I purchased the kit from Walgreens, a few weeks before travel and the current shortage of home testing kits.
Walgreens only sells the unproctored kit with two tests for about $24 (Walmart sells it for $14). The direct source for the proctored kit is eMed at $150 for 6 tests.
jebr likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2022, 11:51 am

Programs: Mileage Plus, Flying Blue
When you updated Navica to show your middle name, did you just add it alongside your first name? I don't see a spot in the profile part of the app for middle name. Thanks!
Old Jan 4, 2022, 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by kef1
When you updated Navica to show your middle name, did you just add it alongside your first name? I don't see a spot in the profile part of the app for middle name. Thanks!
Yes, I just added my middle name after my first name in the Navica app.
jmastron and kef1 like this.
Old Jan 4, 2022, 10:50 pm

Programs: UA MM, AA PPro
Originally Posted by MADPhil
The direct source for the proctored kit is eMed at $150 for 6 tests.
Optum Store sells 2- and 3-packs for $70 and $100 respectively, for those who don't need 6 tests.
milehound and MADPhil like this.
Old Jan 5, 2022, 12:21 am

Programs: BA Gold, AS MVPG
Talking

Hopefully this will help someone. For the proctored test (top pic) you will something like COVID 19 Ag card with the big red "Do not open until instructed to do so" hence the "proctored" part. You'll see the QR code to download the app to get the proctored person to stare at you (silently) while you shove something up your nostrils...

For the non-proctored pic (bottom), it will say "selt test" . and it doesnt' have the QR box to download the app. Hope that'll help someone to know which.

Oh, I bought the 6 packs on emeddd for the proctored test $50 each test (uses my FSA/HSA card). The self-test BINAXNOW, I bought them at Walmart for $14.99+taxes. Just FYI.
milehound likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2022, 9:35 am

Programs: AA 1MM, Hyatt GP Platinum, *wood Gold
The upshot of all this is that I won't be traveling abroad again (except for work and family reasons) until I don't have to jump through so many hoops to get there and back. I canceled a ski trip to Switzerland, and long weekends in European capitals will be replaced by train rides to Philadelphia and Washington DC. My last trip for pleasure was Madrid, which only required one test for a return to the US for the fully vaxxed pre-omicron, and even that was enough of a nuisance to make me reconsider such trips in the future. Getting visas to travel to Russia and China pre-2020 was a breeze compared to this.
Old Jan 5, 2022, 9:40 am

I had the same issue with my ipad last week. Luckily, my husband's ipad worked just fine. Our camera and privacy settings are all the same, the only thing we can think of was that I didn't have the latest update on my ipad (iOS 15.2) -- which is odd because I have it set to automatically update. Lesson learned. Anyhow, once I was able to connect, it was as easy as pie.
Old Jan 5, 2022, 9:40 am

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Getting visas to travel to Russia and China pre-2020 was a breeze compared to this.
Come on now... doing an antigen test the day before you travel is a minor inconvenience. Even if you had to go to a local testing provider in Madrid (/anywhere in Europe) and pay the EUR 25 for an antigen test, that's still just an extra hour or so of your time.
QT31415 likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2022, 11:16 am

Programs: Alaska 100K (aka OWS)
Getting visas to travel to Russia and China pre-2020 was a breeze compared to this.
You must have a travel department at your office! My visas to Russia and China took days to do. I can test, get results, fill out my PLF, and upload Verifly in 30 minutes all from the comfort of my hotel room or train, and I can do it in any country with reasonable wifi (does not work well in 3G countries).
Old Jan 6, 2022, 4:54 am

Programs: AA 1MM, Hyatt GP Platinum, *wood Gold
Originally Posted by coleslaw
Come on now... doing an antigen test the day before you travel is a minor inconvenience. Even if you had to go to a local testing provider in Madrid (/anywhere in Europe) and pay the EUR 25 for an antigen test, that's still just an extra hour or so of your time.
Clarification: Getting visas to travel to Russia and China pre-2020 was a breeze compared to the four tests I had to take for my trip to the UK, including a Day 2 PCR test which required me to isolate for several hours while waiting for test results.

Fortunately, the UK just announced that antigen tests will now suffice for Day 2 if you are fully vaxxed.
LETTERBOY likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.