Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

US reopened on 8 November 2021 (& subsequent entry restrictions for non-citizens)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 15, 2021, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
New thread for discussing 1-day test requirements for travellers arriving in the US by air
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/coronavirus-travel/2060730-us-require-air-travelers-provide-negative-test-within-1-day-departure.html

Entry ban from eight southern African countries starting on November 29, 2021

Most non-U.S. citizens who have been in South Africa, Botswana, Zimbabwe, Namibia, Lesotho, Eswatini, Mozambique or Malaw within the prior 14 days will not be allowed into the United States.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/presidential-actions/2021/11/26/a-proclamation-on-suspension-of-entry-as-immigrants-and-nonimmigrants-of-certain-additional-persons-who-pose-a-risk-of-transmitting-coronavirus-disease-2019/

Entry ban by air to be lifted on November 8, 2021 - All travelers should refer to CDC for travel requirements.

3 day pre-flight testing requirement will continue (US citizens/LPR not vaccinated will have to test no earlier than 1 day prior) Children under 2 years old do not need to test.

Children under 18 are exempt from vaccination requirement
Accepted vaccines will include:
  • AstraZeneca
  • BIBP/Sinopharm
  • Covishield
  • Janssen/J&J
  • Moderna
  • Pfizer-BioNTech
  • Sinovac
Vaccination certificates must come from an official source
There is a face mask mandate when flying to/from the USA, with effectively no exemptions, and including children two and above years old
Airlines need to provide some sort of contact tracing information for potential follow-up cases

Update on U.S. travel policy requiring COVID-19 vaccination
Last Updated: October 25, 2021

As announced by the White House today, the new travel policy requiring foreign nationals traveling to the United States to demonstrate proof of full vaccination against COVID-19 will take effect November 8. The CDC’s website explains that, for purposes of entry into the United States, the accepted vaccines will include FDA approved or authorized and WHO Emergency Use Listing vaccines.

COVID-19 Travel Restrictions and Exceptions - U.S. Department of State, Bureau of Consular Affairs
Last updated: October 25, 2021

The presidential proclamations described on this page will no longer be in effect on November 8, 2021. For additional information, please see Safely Resuming Travel by Vaccine Requirement and Rescission of Travel Restrictions on Brazil, China, India, Iran, Ireland, the Schengen Area, South Africa, and the United Kingdom (travel.state.gov).

To protect the public health, there are four presidential proclamations that suspend entry into the United States of all noncitizens who were physically present in any of 33 countries during the 14-day period preceding their entry or attempted entry into the United States. They are Presidential Proclamation 9984 (China); Presidential Proclamation 9992 (Iran); Presidential Proclamation 10143 (Schengen Area, United Kingdom, Ireland, Brazil, and South Africa); and Presidential Proclamation 10199 (India).

What we know so far is
- Confirmed to start on 8 November
- Children under 18 are exempt from the vaccine restrictions, so the varying international standards on jab ages won't be an issue here.

- Vaccines that are OK will include Pfizer, Moderna, AZ, J&J and the two Chinese vaccines.
- Some exemptions from vaccinations are potentially allowed, notably for US citizens, though my guess is airlines will be expecting to see vaccine certificates

- 3 day pre-flight testing requirement will continue, so this needs to be a documented antigen/Lateral Flow test or PCR.
- 3 days is potentially more than 72 hours, departure on a Friday afternoon means a test on Tuesday morning or thereafter.
- NHS Lateral Flows and PCRs can't be used.
- Children over 2 years old travelling with vaccinated travellers have to be tested on the same basis (3 days).
- 1 day testing for unvaccinated USA legal residents (testing on or the day before departure), including their children.

- All passengers need to sign an attestment to confirm their negative test result and also a statement to confirm full vaccination status.
- Children who are not vaccinated do not need to get vaccinated but do need to get a "viral test" 3 to 5 days after arrival in the USA
- As a result there is a separate attestion question for unvaccinated children to confirm that the viral test is arranged.

- Vaccination certificates must come from an official source. The NHS COVID Pass app and EU DCC are specifically mentioned as acceptable.
- Vaccination is counted as two weeks from dose2, or 2 weeks after the sole dose in the case of J&J.
- Antibody certification is not a replacement for the need for vaccination, at least for non USA residents.
- 14 clear days need to elapse before travel. So if jabbed on 1 October then 15 October is when you are good to go.
- Booster vaccinations are not a factor here, they don't count towards or against the primary dose process.

- There is a face mask mandate when flying to/from the USA, with effectively no exemptions, and including children two and above years old.
- Airlines need to provide some sort of contact tracing information for potential follow-up cases.
- These restrictions do not apply at the land border.

Note that a lot of interpretation onus falls on airlines. For example there is no language requirement for vaccine certificates as far as the CDC is concerned, however you can imagine Air France may be hesitant in accepting a vaccine certificate issued in the Welsh language, to take one example.

CDC link
https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2...el-System.html

Print Wikipost

US reopened on 8 November 2021 (& subsequent entry restrictions for non-citizens)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2021, 2:58 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by TomMM
Would you feel better if the border remains closed.
Its either open or closed when one needs it. If it’s closed then it’s unusable. If it’s unusable then pointing to some point in the future when it may be open is no great succor.
lhrsfo and Silver Fox like this.
Old Oct 1, 2021, 6:07 pm

Would you feel better if the border remains closed.
I'm really not sure how that's relevant? I have a flight on the 2nd for an event on the 6th, and not being able to attend that event will have a very significant effect on my life for the next two years.

What happens with the border after that point is meaningless to me.
Old Oct 1, 2021, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RG1X
I'm really not sure how that's relevant? I have a flight on the 2nd for an event on the 6th, and not being able to attend that event will have a very significant effect on my life for the next two years.

Not possible to utilize one of workarounds to attend the event?
Old Oct 1, 2021, 6:39 pm

Such as?

I live, work and pay taxes in the USA on an E-1 Visa.
I have to go to the UK to assist with an office closure and company reorganization 9th October.
I have an event to go to in Napa Valley on 4th November.
At the moment, I plan to go to the UK and then leave with sufficient time to spend two unnecessary weeks in Vancouver.
I will apply for a National Interest Exception but I can't do that until I land in the UK as the US Embassy in London won't consider an application in advance which is more BS. The chances of a decision on the NIE from the US Embassy arriving in time are probably close to zero.
As I've said before, the government totally sucks.

I might get extremely lucky and the US Government might decide to permit travel to the USA from Nov 1 but I'm not expecting it to happen.

Do you have any workarounds you can suggest for me? If I'm missing something obvious please enlighten me.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2021, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G

Originally Posted by golfmad
Such as?

I have to go to the UK to assist with an office closure and company reorganization 9th October.
At the moment, I plan to go to the UK and then leave with sufficient time to spend two unnecessary weeks in Vancouver.
I will apply for a National Interest Exception but I can't do that until I land in the UK as the US Embassy in London won't consider an application in advance which is more BS. The chances of a decision on the NIE from the US Embassy arriving in time are probably close to zero.

I might get extremely lucky and the US Government might decide to permit travel to the USA from Nov 1 but I'm not expecting it to happen.

Do you have any workarounds you can suggest for me? If I'm missing something obvious please enlighten me.
I'm confused, do you have two accounts?

Is there a chance your company does NOT need you there physically in October?

Last edited by Smiley90; Oct 1, 2021 at 7:33 pm
Old Oct 1, 2021, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Such as?

Seems like you have it figured out, two unnecessary weeks in Vancouver. Yes it stinks but adult situations require adult decisions which you made. Going back to post I was responding to, if I had an event that if missed would affect the next two years of my life I’d be making a similar adult decision. Absolutely stinks but you gotta do what you have to do.
Xyzzy, downinit, ExpatExp and 1 others like this.
Old Oct 1, 2021, 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by Smiley90
I'm confused, do you have two accounts?
Is it so hard to imagine that there are thousands of people affected by this nonsense?
You have two examples right here and I can assure you we are separate people

Originally Posted by Smiley90
I
Is there a chance your company does NOT need you there physically in October?
No, not really. It's my company. The office we need to close is full of stuff that I need to go through. The simple stuff has already been done.
Old Oct 2, 2021, 3:37 am

No, not unless I fancy going out of business anyway.

Even if I could, I realistically couldn't afford to.
Old Oct 2, 2021, 7:55 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Is it so hard to imagine that there are thousands of people affected by this nonsense?
You have two examples right here and I can assure you we are separate people

No, not really. It's my company. The office we need to close is full of stuff that I need to go through. The simple stuff has already been done.
No, not unless I fancy going out of business anyway.

Even if I could, I realistically couldn't afford to.
But... the easing of the travel ban came completely out of the blue and seemed to be quite unexpected by everyone (on both sides), so what were your previous plans to deal with these "unmovable, life changing" events?

Regards
Old Oct 2, 2021, 8:02 am

Originally Posted by scubadu
But... the easing of the travel ban came completely out of the blue and seemed to be quite unexpected by everyone (on both sides), so what were your previous plans to deal with these "unmovable, life changing" events?

Regards
My plans are clear. I stated them above.
Old Oct 2, 2021, 8:31 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
My plans are clear. I stated them above.
Fair enough, apologies should have not quoted you in my reply.

Regards
Old Oct 2, 2021, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by scubadu

Regards
There wasn't one. It's been booked since last year and I've been waiting patiently for some sort of sensible step forward by the US government.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2021, 2:42 am

Programs: FB Gold
Is it just me, or have airfares shot back to pre-pandemic levels for the Christmas ? Last year with trans-Atlantic travel severely curtailed it was nice to score good deals ex-EU =>US but it looks like fares are back to pretty high levels this time around.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2021, 3:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by mlin32
Is it just me, or have airfares shot back to pre-pandemic levels for the Christmas ? Last year with trans-Atlantic travel severely curtailed it was nice to score good deals ex-EU =>US but it looks like fares are back to pretty high levels this time around.
it's not just you. After the announcement of US borders reopening, fares have increased significantly with the dual effects of a lot of bookings and airlines revenue management who saw an opportunity to have more revenues after those months of diet.
Silver Fox and mlin32 like this.
Old Oct 3, 2021, 7:12 am

Programs: FB Gold
Originally Posted by Goldorak
it's not just you. After the announcement of US borders reopening, fares have increased significantly with the dual effects of a lot of bookings and airlines revenue management who saw an opportunity to have more revenues after those months of diet.
Shouldn't have sat on my hands a couple weeks when I did my searches; losing 20XP (or 150-200 €) cuz of my usual "mehhh that's a lot of money let's wait" mentality

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.