Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

When biz travel is likely to resume

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

When biz travel is likely to resume

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2020, 9:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by stimpy
Well as that is a distant future prediction, I will argue against that as I believe it will absolutely return. Humans like travel and will revert to form soon enough. As I've said before, it is like 9/11. Back then people, mostly Americans, were afraid of terrorism and did not travel. And corporate workers instantly moved to conference calls. But over time people got over the fear and went back to corporate travel and corporate tourism. People, many of them here on Flyertalk, will invent reasons to have a industry group meeting in Bali. It will happen eventually.
September 11 was a discrete event, not something that something that lasted months. The technology was far less refined then for video conferencing and work from home. As a comparison, my wife, who works in IT, worked in WTC1. I think she was back to work at an alternate site within 2 days of September 11. She has been working from home since March now. In addition to safety, companies have figured out how much they can save by reducing their office space footprint. The post about Pinterest upthread shows that. Some big employers, I seem to recall Google for instance, are shifting a lot of people to work from home.

It isn’t just the pandemic. It’s the pandemic happening at the same time the virtual meeting technology is really maturing that is driving this. And I think it is a very fundamental change in the way a lot of people work.
nerdbirdsjc likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2020, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
September 11 was a discrete event, not something that something that lasted months.
Not true at all. Have you forgotten the Shoe Bomber and all the other terrorism scares? And the likes of CNN blasting out terror, terror, terror? It was not a discrete event but something that lasted for several years.

The technology was far less refined then for video conferencing and work from home.
That is only true for video and document collaboration. For many of us our WFH is audio and email mainly. No different from 2001. Some companies are more into video and collaboration, but not all.
the810 likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2020, 4:21 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Some travel and meeting in person will assuredly return but a lot of the discussion about "competitive advantage" sounds like wishful thinking to me (not all but a lot). The personal touch sometimes helps close a deal but straightforward numbers do as well.

I do a lot with Microsoft Teams and other collaboration software since WFH started and sometimes there is no substitute for getting into a big room with a lot of whiteboards. In some areas, we've gotten far more efficient and effective because the pandemic forced us to think differently and we found collaboration tools worked for us. In other areas, it has caused weeks of delay or flat-out inability to do the job as desired.

I suspect a lot of the business travel in the future will be more heavily scrutinized than it was pre-pandemic. Not surprisingly, those who do the scrutinizing will be more likely to deem their own travel as "necessary". Conferences and symposia that were really just tourism on the company's dime will likely diminish severely (some people will always be able to make it sound like their trips will save the world). Ultimately, I expect this event will be as transformative as 9/11 was albeit in different ways.

With winter colds and flu complicating the picture, I expect some biz travel may start resuming in spring 2021 but conferences and such probably won't resume until companies can see the lay of the land so not until late summer 2021 IMO.
Old Sep 4, 2020, 6:26 pm
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

Originally Posted by DTWflyer
I don't mind some WFH and the flexibility, but man 100% WFH now almost 6 months in is driving me insane. If I am going to be 100% WFH through all of 2021, I may seriously reconsider my career choice after another 6-9 months of this.
I am going stir-crazy here.
I'm your opposite. I've started working from home about 2 years before the 'rona hit. I went into the office (40 miles away) maybe once a quarter. I haven't been to my office now since early December 2019. I imagine it has a nice layer of dust covering everything. Don't care - I love working from home.
kiwifrequentflyer likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2020, 8:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gruimed
Currently many large corporations ban biz travel till June 2021. Undust your crystal ball - when do you think biz travel will resume?
Define your meaning of "resume" more precisely please?

It's one thing to resume a little bit, it's another thing (possibly never?) to resume back to pre-Covid levels. (And there's a zillion levels of resumption between those two.)

The moment just a few business fliers start flying for business again, the first condition has been met (resume a little bit).

OTOH, given the success of meetings with Zoom, etc, it's likely that online meetings will replace at least part of business travel "forever". So it may require overall population and travel growth to bring business travel back to pre-Covid levels, not just the economy coming back, because even when the economy comes back, some businesses will find that online meetings work just as well (with less time lost on the travel itself) than in-person meetings. Not for all situations, but for enough of them to noticeably reduce the amount of business travel compare to pre-Covid and thus (for many businesses) pre-Zoom/etc.
Adelphos likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2020, 7:05 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
[Mod edit]

The fact in one technology company with >100k employees is that Teams/Slack/Zoom works. For 99% of cases and management says that when things go back to resembling ‘pre-corona normal’, things will stay as is.
Silver Fox likes this.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Sep 6, 2020 at 8:22 am Reason: Redacted reference to a post which has since been deleted by a moderator
Old Sep 6, 2020, 10:19 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
Originally Posted by stimpy
Well as that is a distant future prediction, I will argue against that as I believe it will absolutely return. People, many of them here on Flyertalk, will invent reasons to have a industry group meeting in Bali. It will happen eventually.
Like doctors and medical suppliers. If you believe that medical conferences in PR won’t come back I have some land just west of Miami up for sale.
Adelphos and Spanish like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.