Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

When biz travel is likely to resume

When biz travel is likely to resume

Old Sep 2, 20, 8:16 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: TLV
Programs: UA 1K
Posts: 97
When biz travel is likely to resume

Currently many large corporations ban biz travel till June 2021. Undust your crystal ball - when do you think biz travel will resume?
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
gruimed is offline  
Old Sep 2, 20, 8:47 am
  #2  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: NY Metro Area
Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Posts: 44,178
Originally Posted by gruimed View Post
Currently many large corporations ban biz travel till June 2021. Undust your crystal ball - when do you think biz travel will resume?
Well, some is happening now. However, Iím guessing possibly sometime in 2022 before it really starts coming back. And I donít think it will ever be completely back. Because, even if it is greatly slowed until June 2021 as you say, companies will come up with accommodations to compensate for that in the meantime. They already have. So I think a lot will be based on a decision that if they havenít spent the money for travel for 18 months or so, why restart? Some similar decisions are being made with office space as well. I donít think the world will be the same, even when the virus is somehow contained.
GadgetFreak is online now  
Old Sep 2, 20, 8:51 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 286
I think late 2021 or early 2022. Even if we get a vaccine towards the end of this year or in Q1 of 2021, it's going to take probably 6-9 months to get distributed. Plus, I tend to think that we're going to need more than just a vaccine to fully return to normal. So I'm hoping that by mid-2021 we have some more effective therapeutics. I think with therapeutics and a reasonably effective vaccine we can get back to normal. Providing of course that organizations decide that business travel is worth the cost, which I'm not sure that all will.
largeeyes likes this.
Emma1420 is offline  
Old Sep 2, 20, 8:58 am
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: TLV
Programs: UA 1K
Posts: 97
Originally Posted by GadgetFreak View Post
Some similar decisions are being made with office space as well.
Well, on this point some actually start to realise that WFH is (at least in many cases) is not as great as originally perceived...
gruimed is offline  
Old Sep 2, 20, 9:24 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: DTW
Programs: DL - PM, (NW - Plat), AA - Gold, Marriott - Plat, Avis - First
Posts: 858
I don't mind some WFH and the flexibility, but man 100% WFH now almost 6 months in is driving me insane. If I am going to be 100% WFH through all of 2021, I may seriously reconsider my career choice after another 6-9 months of this.
I am going stir-crazy here.
DTWflyer is offline  
Old Sep 2, 20, 9:45 am
  #6  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: NY Metro Area
Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Posts: 44,178
Originally Posted by gruimed View Post
Well, on this point some actually start to realise that WFH is (at least in many cases) is not as great as originally perceived...
And in many cases itís better. No commuting with lost time and traffic, less office space to pay for and the ability to recruit talent that donít want to move in some cases.

Originally Posted by DTWflyer View Post
I don't mind some WFH and the flexibility, but man 100% WFH now almost 6 months in is driving me insane. If I am going to be 100% WFH through all of 2021, I may seriously reconsider my career choice after another 6-9 months of this.
I am going stir-crazy here.
Part of that might be attributed to the lock down in general, not strictly WFH. If you could WFH but still go out as readily as before it might be different.
GadgetFreak is online now  
Old Sep 2, 20, 9:48 am
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: TLV
Programs: UA 1K
Posts: 97
Originally Posted by DTWflyer View Post
I don't mind some WFH and the flexibility, but man 100% WFH now almost 6 months in is driving me insane. If I am going to be 100% WFH through all of 2021, I may seriously reconsider my career choice after another 6-9 months of this.
I am going stir-crazy here.
You are not the only one
Goldorak and ryandc99 like this.
gruimed is offline  
Old Sep 2, 20, 9:49 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: DTW
Programs: DL - PM, (NW - Plat), AA - Gold, Marriott - Plat, Avis - First
Posts: 858
Meh....the ideal of me every day, day-in, day-out for the next ~15 years of rolling into the home office next to my bedroom and staring at a screen of Zoom meetings and Excel spreadsheets doesn't excite me in the least.

I need to leave the house.
DTWflyer is offline  
Old Sep 2, 20, 9:51 am
  #9  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: TLV
Programs: UA 1K
Posts: 97
Originally Posted by GadgetFreak View Post
less office space to pay for and the ability to recruit talent that donít want to move in some cases.
In theory. In practice for many companies it would not be so easy to get rid of their offices. As for recruiting talent "that don't want to move" - pray to god it would never happen, because that talent most likely will be in another country.

Originally Posted by GadgetFreak View Post
Part of that might be attributed to the lock down in general, not strictly WFH. If you could WFH but still go out as readily as before it might be different.
For sure, but only part. On top of that, imagine what it looks like to WFH if you don't have a spare room (which is the case for many outside of US).
gruimed is offline  
Old Sep 2, 20, 9:53 am
  #10  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: TLV
Programs: UA 1K
Posts: 97
It is interesting how quickly the conversation drifted from biz travel to WFH . I guess for many it is much more real problem. In my case, though, my job in a "normal world" requires lots of travel...hence the question.
gruimed is offline  
Old Sep 2, 20, 10:01 am
  #11  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Mandarin Oriental Contributor BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Posts: 32,497
I only stopped for two and a half months and have been traveling quite a lot since June 1st. Mostly business, but vacation travel too.

If you look at the airlines, you can see a lot of increase in flights, especially trans-Atlantic. For instance Air France went from 3 times a week to JFK, to once a day, and now it is two flights per day and next month will be 3 flights per day. Plus DL flies the same route. UA as well from EWR. Since there isn't much tourist travel, that means that there are mostly business people. Lots of TATL business travel going on now. Note also that the CDC dropped even the recommendation for a quarantine after international travel. I've taken two TATL flights this summer and a whole lot of US domestic travel.

So in short, I'd say that hard core business travel is already back. But the less important travel such as for conferences won't be back til sometime next year.
stimpy is offline  
Old Sep 2, 20, 10:04 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: London, Sth Africa or LAS
Programs: BA Silver but hotels.com Gold :)
Posts: 1,742
The question may end up be answered in a slightly different way. Who will be the new business travellers in 2021 and 2022?
littlefish is offline  
Old Sep 2, 20, 10:26 am
  #13  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: TLV
Programs: UA 1K
Posts: 97
Originally Posted by stimpy View Post
If you look at the airlines, you can see a lot of increase in flights, especially trans-Atlantic.
That's encouraging
gruimed is offline  
Old Sep 2, 20, 10:27 am
  #14  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: TLV
Programs: UA 1K
Posts: 97
Originally Posted by littlefish View Post
The question may end up be answered in a slightly different way. Who will be the new business travellers in 2021 and 2022?
Good point. Ideas?
gruimed is offline  
Old Sep 2, 20, 10:59 am
  #15  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: NY Metro Area
Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Posts: 44,178
Originally Posted by gruimed View Post
In theory. In practice for many companies it would not be so easy to get rid of their offices. As for recruiting talent "that don't want to move" - pray to god it would never happen, because that talent most likely will be in another country.


For sure, but only part. On top of that, imagine what it looks like to WFH if you don't have a spare room (which is the case for many outside of US).

A lot of it already is from other countries. But point taken. I was thinking of not wanting to live in a big city for instance. Clearly not everyone is going to work from home for a variety of reasons. I don’t think I implied that I thought it was binary, all at home or all in the office. It wasn’t even that before the pandemic But I can’t see there not being a shift to more working from home.
GadgetFreak is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: