FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Coronavirus and travel (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/coronavirus-travel-773/)
-   -   When biz travel is likely to resume (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/coronavirus-travel/2024388-when-biz-travel-likely-resume.html)

gruimed Sep 2, 2020 8:16 am

When biz travel is likely to resume

Currently many large corporations ban biz travel till June 2021. Undust your crystal ball - when do you think biz travel will resume?

GadgetFreak Sep 2, 2020 8:47 am

Originally Posted by gruimed (Post 32647210)
Currently many large corporations ban biz travel till June 2021. Undust your crystal ball - when do you think biz travel will resume?

Well, some is happening now. However, I’m guessing possibly sometime in 2022 before it really starts coming back. And I don’t think it will ever be completely back. Because, even if it is greatly slowed until June 2021 as you say, companies will come up with accommodations to compensate for that in the meantime. They already have. So I think a lot will be based on a decision that if they haven’t spent the money for travel for 18 months or so, why restart? Some similar decisions are being made with office space as well. I don’t think the world will be the same, even when the virus is somehow contained.

Emma1420 Sep 2, 2020 8:51 am

I think late 2021 or early 2022. Even if we get a vaccine towards the end of this year or in Q1 of 2021, it's going to take probably 6-9 months to get distributed. Plus, I tend to think that we're going to need more than just a vaccine to fully return to normal. So I'm hoping that by mid-2021 we have some more effective therapeutics. I think with therapeutics and a reasonably effective vaccine we can get back to normal. Providing of course that organizations decide that business travel is worth the cost, which I'm not sure that all will.

gruimed Sep 2, 2020 8:58 am

Originally Posted by GadgetFreak (Post 32647278)
Some similar decisions are being made with office space as well.

Well, on this point some actually start to realise that WFH is (at least in many cases) is not as great as originally perceived...

DTWflyer Sep 2, 2020 9:24 am

I don't mind some WFH and the flexibility, but man 100% WFH now almost 6 months in is driving me insane. If I am going to be 100% WFH through all of 2021, I may seriously reconsider my career choice after another 6-9 months of this.
I am going stir-crazy here.

GadgetFreak Sep 2, 2020 9:45 am

Originally Posted by gruimed (Post 32647295)
Well, on this point some actually start to realise that WFH is (at least in many cases) is not as great as originally perceived...

And in many cases it’s better. No commuting with lost time and traffic, less office space to pay for and the ability to recruit talent that don’t want to move in some cases.

Originally Posted by DTWflyer (Post 32647363)
I don't mind some WFH and the flexibility, but man 100% WFH now almost 6 months in is driving me insane. If I am going to be 100% WFH through all of 2021, I may seriously reconsider my career choice after another 6-9 months of this.

Part of that might be attributed to the lock down in general, not strictly WFH. If you could WFH but still go out as readily as before it might be different.

gruimed Sep 2, 2020 9:48 am

Originally Posted by DTWflyer (Post 32647363)

You are not the only one

DTWflyer Sep 2, 2020 9:49 am

Meh....the ideal of me every day, day-in, day-out for the next ~15 years of rolling into the home office next to my bedroom and staring at a screen of Zoom meetings and Excel spreadsheets doesn't excite me in the least.

I need to leave the house.

gruimed Sep 2, 2020 9:51 am

Originally Posted by GadgetFreak (Post 32647426)
less office space to pay for and the ability to recruit talent that don’t want to move in some cases.

In theory. In practice for many companies it would not be so easy to get rid of their offices. As for recruiting talent "that don't want to move" - pray to god it would never happen, because that talent most likely will be in another country.

Originally Posted by GadgetFreak (Post 32647426)
Part of that might be attributed to the lock down in general, not strictly WFH. If you could WFH but still go out as readily as before it might be different.

For sure, but only part. On top of that, imagine what it looks like to WFH if you don't have a spare room (which is the case for many outside of US).

gruimed Sep 2, 2020 9:53 am

It is interesting how quickly the conversation drifted from biz travel to WFH :). I guess for many it is much more real problem. In my case, though, my job in a "normal world" requires lots of travel...hence the question.

stimpy Sep 2, 2020 10:01 am

I only stopped for two and a half months and have been traveling quite a lot since June 1st. Mostly business, but vacation travel too.

If you look at the airlines, you can see a lot of increase in flights, especially trans-Atlantic. For instance Air France went from 3 times a week to JFK, to once a day, and now it is two flights per day and next month will be 3 flights per day. Plus DL flies the same route. UA as well from EWR. Since there isn't much tourist travel, that means that there are mostly business people. Lots of TATL business travel going on now. Note also that the CDC dropped even the recommendation for a quarantine after international travel. I've taken two TATL flights this summer and a whole lot of US domestic travel.

So in short, I'd say that hard core business travel is already back. But the less important travel such as for conferences won't be back til sometime next year.

littlefish Sep 2, 2020 10:04 am

The question may end up be answered in a slightly different way. Who will be the new business travellers in 2021 and 2022?

gruimed Sep 2, 2020 10:26 am

Originally Posted by stimpy (Post 32647480)
If you look at the airlines, you can see a lot of increase in flights, especially trans-Atlantic.

That's encouraging

gruimed Sep 2, 2020 10:27 am

Originally Posted by littlefish (Post 32647483)
The question may end up be answered in a slightly different way. Who will be the new business travellers in 2021 and 2022?

Good point. Ideas?

GadgetFreak Sep 2, 2020 10:59 am

Originally Posted by gruimed (Post 32647444)
In theory. In practice for many companies it would not be so easy to get rid of their offices. As for recruiting talent "that don't want to move" - pray to god it would never happen, because that talent most likely will be in another country.

For sure, but only part. On top of that, imagine what it looks like to WFH if you don't have a spare room (which is the case for many outside of US).

A lot of it already is from other countries. But point taken. I was thinking of not wanting to live in a big city for instance. Clearly not everyone is going to work from home for a variety of reasons. I don’t think I implied that I thought it was binary, all at home or all in the office. It wasn’t even that before the pandemic But I can’t see there not being a shift to more working from home.