Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Coronavirus: testing and travel

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2020, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YYCCL3
How easy is it to falsify testing results in RU?

/edit: the second comment says it all: "The answer to all your questions is “The flight operated from Moscow”."
Falsifying or just sloppy work?

And I'm sure if they were isolating it was together, not separately.
Old Oct 21, 2020, 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel

Could be sloppy work, too.

With respect to the isolation, how likely is it that it wasn't only together, but also the crews had some "company" for their last nights at home before heading off on their tours of duty.
Old Oct 21, 2020, 9:15 pm

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
Originally Posted by 13901
One Mile at a Time reports a story of a fishing factory crew ...
I see that the fishing crews from Russia and Ukraine are being held at the Sudima Hotel in Christchurch.

Interesting that the passengers stayed on the plane in Singapore, reminding me of the distinction between direct and nonstop.
Old Oct 21, 2020, 10:46 pm

Originally Posted by SJCFlyerLG
I'm currently in South Florida (Port St. Lucie) and will be flying to our winter home in Antigua soon. Antigua is requiring a negative PCR test (taken within 7 days of flying). Yes, that is pretty useless, but what can you do? I have not been able to find a test provider that will do a test for travel purposes - they require you to be symptomatic, or that you have been exposed to symptomatic people. I'd rather not lie and say I have been exposed (which might mean questions about contract tracing, which would expose a lie). Does anyone know of a testing facility in South Florida that will do a test for travel purposes?

Alternatively, we can do one of the mail in tests - they don't require any reasons for the test.
Avecina - Jacksonville
Access Labs - Jupiter
Old Oct 22, 2020, 3:19 am

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel

most likely they were isolating together , maybe in a hotel , but they still mingle among each other, having meal together.

So there are 2 positive cases which was detected before the flight n thus the rest or close contact should be continued isolating for another 2 weeks. As the rest should be in incubation period.
Old Oct 22, 2020, 3:41 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by DaveS
They can't have been self isolating then..
I am very familiar how 'self-isolating' works in practice in Russia.
So, unless these people were locked in for 2 weeks somewhere without external contacts, counting on 'self-isolation' is useless.

P.S. There is an expression in Russian - 'суровость законов в России компенсируется необязательностью их исполнения'. Translation - the harsh laws in Russia are conpensated by unnecessity to follow them,
Old Oct 22, 2020, 7:50 am

The problem is that if testing and self-isolation can't be relied upon then it's impossible that these will be used as a mean to revive travel (and reduce the need for draconian quarantines on arrival).
Old Oct 22, 2020, 9:17 am

Programs: M&S Elite+
Originally Posted by 13901
The problem is that if testing and self-isolation can't be relied upon then it's impossible that these will be used as a mean to revive travel (and reduce the need for draconian quarantines on arrival).
The trouble in this case is that neither worked. We know that self isolation is not fully observed in the UK. With a change in attitude by the government here, we could most likely make testing work. But you cannot rely on everything being done correctly outside of the UK, so the testing really needs to be here.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2020, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by DaveS
The trouble in this case is that neither worked. We know that self isolation is not fully observed in the UK. With a change in attitude by the government here, we could most likely make testing work. But you cannot rely on everything being done correctly outside of the UK, so the testing really needs to be here.
In an ideal world we'd have at least a European level of testing but knowing the UK (and it's not just recent - DfT has always, strenuously, forbidden tail-to-tail transfers of bags even when from the EU) it won't happen... Plus if we add the current state of affairs I very much doubt we'll get some testing in November, or this year. Despite the industry screaming for it. Maybe some sort of face-saving pilot will be introduced but it'll still require quarantine and it'll be bloody expensive.
DaveS likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2020, 1:13 pm

I posted it earlier in the Canada forum as well, but I'm super excited to share that my home jurisdiction is launching a test on arrival program valid from ANY origin. The main condition is that you have to enter Canada only through Calgary airport, which has limited international service these days (likely why they chose YYC over busier airports).

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...ilot-1.5772637
Old Oct 22, 2020, 6:11 pm

Programs: VS Silver, BA Blue - finally; but hotels.com Gold :)
I posted it earlier in the Canada forum as well, but I'm super excited to share that my home jurisdiction is launching a test on arrival program valid from ANY origin. The main condition is that you have to enter Canada only through Calgary airport, which has limited international service these days (likely why they chose YYC over busier airports).

Well done Alberta!
Good its a pilot as highly likely it'll need to be fine-tuned (re-tuned) after real world results and behaviors.

Not quite sure I follow this bit: "If the test comes back negative, travellers will be allowed to leave their place of quarantine as long as they commit to getting a second test on day six or seven after arrival, at a community pharmacy participating in the pilot program, the province said. "

So, test at Day 0. Quarantine for 2 days. The 'result' is released after 2 days. Free to go (with conditions) if the test is negative.

What is gained by quarantining for the two days? Why not just give the result in an hour (LAMP) or within 8 hours like Jersey is now doing?
There will need to be very strong incentives and policing of the scheme to ensure the second tests are completed and secure good data for the pilot. But as above, all a bit pointless if a Day 6 test has a 48 hour turnaround time.

The jury is still out on this but hopefully strong science will emerge to allow the Day 4 vs Day 5 vs Day 6 vs Day 7 trade-offs to be fully understood and a policy chosen. Day 0 should be a given!

Meanwhile any updates from the YYZ pilot?
Old Oct 22, 2020, 11:05 pm

Originally Posted by littlefish

So, test at Day 0. Quarantine for 2 days. The 'result' is released after 2 days. Free to go (with conditions) if the test is negative.
The quarantine for 2 days is because it's a standard PCR test that will be processed in batches - the initial headlines stated "rapid testing" but it's not. Hence the waiting period as batches are processed.
littlefish likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2020, 2:32 am

You can count on Canada to teach the world a thing or two on being smart and level-headed. Well done.

And I like the fact it's being conducted as a study for those who could already enter the country (at least initially). I'm hopeful that if it works it'll be extended.

It will be available for foreign essential workers — truckers, health-care workers and other workers who are exempt from the current federal travel ban — and any Canadian citizens returning to the country through Alberta.

If the test comes back negative, travellers will be allowed to leave their place of quarantine as long as they commit to getting a second test on Day 6 or 7 after arrival, at a community pharmacy participating in the pilot program, the province said.

"Our twin goal here is protecting both lives and livelihoods, and that is especially important in Alberta with the depth of the energy price collapse and its economic impact," Kenney said.

But as federal Health Minister Patty Hajdu pointed out, the pilot program only applies to Canadian residents and foreign nationals who are already allowed to come to Canada.

"There are no changes now at the border to be clear," Hajdu said. "And so this is a controlled study with a willing province that has the tools and the capacity to be able to manage the study."
Old Oct 23, 2020, 10:26 am

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
FYI, just got this in an email, but Costco now sells at home PCR kits, which are FSA eligible. $129 w/o video observation and $139 w/ video observation.

Features:
  • PCR tests are the gold standard testing method with the most accurate sensitivity and specificity currently on the market
  • Emergency Use Act-Authorized at-home self-administered PCR saliva test with video observation for travelers
  • Test for COVID-19 infection at home without a painful nasal swab
  • Get your shareable results in 24-48 hours from the time the lab receives your kit (contiguous U.S. only) online through the HIPAA-secure AZOVA app
  • Note: You must register for a lab order with AZOVA after checkout for each person who is taking the test. You will receive a coupon code to redeem on AZOVA.com/costcotest to receive your at-home test kit
  • FSA Eligible Item
https://www.costco.com/covid-test.html
aztimm likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2020, 10:29 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
Austrian Airlines just started a rapid testing initiative, starting in November for flights to Berlin. Results in 15 minutes, linked to the BP: only negative results allowed to board.
seigex likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.