Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Coronavirus: testing and travel

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2020, 11:33 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by Dieuwer
Regarding getting tested before flying, it probably is going to be severely cost-prohibitive for a family of 4+. Who is gonna fork over $150+ pp on top on a vacation flight to Europe? Could easily increase your bill 50%. Seems that only the "elites" can afford this ($150+ on top of a J ticket $3,000+ to Europe is just 5%).
I think that a fair number of people would, frankly. My family of three would pay for it. Also, by the time Europe decides to open the cost could have been driven down quite a bit through market innovation.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2020, 11:48 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by JNelson113
I think that a fair number of people would, frankly. My family of three would pay for it. Also, by the time Europe decides to open the cost could have been driven down quite a bit through market innovation.
I doubt that the low-cost WOW type (paying $50 per ticket) is gonna fork over $150+ just for a test.
Old Sep 28, 2020, 12:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
I doubt that the low-cost WOW type (paying $50 per ticket) is gonna fork over $150+ just for a test.
I figured that since this thread is about countries open to US tourists that we're talking about US travelers going to Europe? That ticket is usually $700+. I apologize if something else is being discussed here.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2020, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by JNelson113
I figured that since this thread is about countries open to US tourists that we're talking about US travelers going to Europe? That ticket is usually $700+. I apologize if something else is being discussed here.
From the east coast a typical ticket on TAP/AerLingus/IcelandAir etc can be much less than $700 - basically the college student backpacker trip to europe budget - those kinds of trips are basically over. Also over are short trips to Europe (from the easy coast it was entirely possible to do a 3-5 day trip, but now no one will want to pay $150++ on a test for a short trip). Also over are bigger family trips (say a group-vacation of 2-3 families because there is always a chance that one person's positive covid test result scuttles the entire trip.

Basically the test requirement is a big hurdle in getting things back to normal - its not a simple small ask for regular travel to get tested before every border hop.
LETTERBOY likes this.

Last edited by nomiiiii; Sep 28, 2020 at 1:00 pm
Old Sep 28, 2020, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by nomiiiii

Basically the test requirement is a big hurdle in getting things back to normal - its not a simple small ask for regular travel to get tested before every border hop.
Au contraire, the test requirement is exactly what is needed to get back to normal. Many of us refuse to board a long flight unless everyone on the plane is pretested. And many countries (plus Hawaii) are unlikely to re-open to US visitors without pre-testing.

If the cost is too high then maybe you should consider other cheaper options like national parks or Mexico, or one of the countries listed in the wiki.
Old Sep 28, 2020, 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by Boraxo
Au contraire, the test requirement is exactly what is needed to get back to normal. Many of us refuse to board a long flight unless everyone on the plane is pretested. And many countries (plus Hawaii) are unlikely to re-open to US visitors without pre-testing.

If the cost is too high then maybe you should consider other cheaper options like national parks or Mexico, or one of the countries listed in the wiki.
Cost isn't high for me because I am rich.

I am talking about all the college students and young people - who currently are partying in frat houses and obviously have no problems with getting on a plane due to virus concerns. But they do have a limited budget.

Given how immensely popular Florida/Turkey/Croatia/Mexico etc are now for vacations because they are open vs other places you are likely under estimating how many people are completely okay with travelling but cannot do so due to govt rules around testing/quarantines etc.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2020, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Boraxo
Au contraire, the test requirement is exactly what is needed to get back to normal.
Agree. Got to start somewhere.
JNelson113 likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2020, 1:47 pm

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Testing may be the solution for semi-essential trips, but it will hardly revive tourism or non-essential business travel. It's costly and it's too much hassle. I was intrigued by Iceland's proposition back in May, when everything else was closed. By the time it actually came in force, many other countries opened up (for EU citizens) without test requriement and I completely discarded the idea of going to Iceland (even though I'm very fond of the place and like to visit it every few years).

It's important to keep in mind that virus doesn't care about borders. When we all end up with more or less the same epidemiologic situation, border restrictions will become obsolete (if they are even efficient now, when almost everyone has a comunity spread). Judging by previous pandemics, this should hopefully happen after the second wave - I'm just worried that what we're seeing in Europe right now is not the second wave, but delayed first wave.

Given how immensely popular Florida/Turkey/Croatia/Mexico etc are now for vacations because they are open vs other places you are likely under estimating how many people are completely okay with travelling but cannot do so due to govt rules around testing/quarantines etc.
This! Travel industry keeps trying to appeal to customers by introducing new meassures, restrictions and other hassle that makes travel miserable. Meanwhile, those that pursue strategy of keeping things as normal as possible are the ones who actually achieved at least partial success (considering the circumstances).

I understand IATA's proposal, it will make travel at least possible and it will gain airlines some customers from the niche group of semi-essential travel such as meeting family or maintaining one's own property (as discussed in another thread). But I don't think it will be as revolutionary as some people hope. To revive leisure and business travel we need to get rid of border restrictions.
RedChili and LETTERBOY like this.
Old Sep 28, 2020, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by the810
Testing may be the solution for semi-essential trips, but it will hardly revive tourism or non-essential business travel. It's costly and it's too much hassle. I was intrigued by Iceland's proposition back in May, when everything else was closed. By the time it actually came in force, many other countries opened up (for EU citizens) without test requriement and I completely discarded the idea of going to Iceland (even though I'm very fond of the place and like to visit it every few years).

It's important to keep in mind that virus doesn't care about borders. When we all end up with more or less the same epidemiologic situation, border restrictions will become obsolete (if they are even efficient now, when almost everyone has a comunity spread). Judging by previous pandemics, this should hopefully happen after the second wave - I'm just worried that what we're seeing in Europe right now is not the second wave, but delayed first wave.

This! Travel industry keeps trying to appeal to customers by introducing new meassures, restrictions and other hassle that makes travel miserable. Meanwhile, those that pursue strategy of keeping things as normal as possible are the ones who actually achieved at least partial success (considering the circumstances).

I understand IATA's proposal, it will make travel at least possible and it will gain airlines some customers from the niche group of semi-essential travel such as meeting family or maintaining one's own property (as discussed in another thread). But I don't think it will be as revolutionary as some people hope. To revive leisure and business travel we need to get rid of border restrictions.
Fully agree with you.
Old Sep 28, 2020, 4:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: American Airlines
RE Testing. Is there a pharma company that is close to releasing a $10 per test that takes 15 minutes for results? Wouldn't this be a game changer?
Old Sep 28, 2020, 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by enviroian
RE Testing. Is there a pharma company that is close to releasing a $10 per test that takes 15 minutes for results? Wouldn't this be a game changer?
Again, no. This will likely be an improvement over the current system, but it will absolutely not be a game-changer. Answer me these questions, considering you're a very average leisure tourist who typically does no-hassle package holidays (the majority of tourists):

- Will you be willing to spend 2-3 hours extra at the airport to have this test done (remember, even if the test itself takes only 15 minutes, there are hundreds of people who will need to get this done at the airport and you don't know how long that line will be).
- If the requirement is to not do this at the airport, but beforehand then we are back at the same issue of one extra hassle-step which most leisure tourists won't deal with and simply go somewhere without restrictions.
- Most importantly, are you willing to risk failing this rapid test at the end of your trip, and be stuck in Kenya or Peru or wherever the test was done before your return flight

I am an extremely savvy tech-smart rich traveller without kids or family or work on-site obligations, and even I am hesitant to go anywhere with testing restrictions because of the possibility of too much hassle on failing/delaying of the test. Now imagine the mindset of your typical family with specific dates and specific budget. They will simply not want to deal with it.
LETTERBOY and the810 like this.
Old Sep 28, 2020, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Regarding getting tested before flying, it probably is going to be severely cost-prohibitive for a family of 4+. Who is gonna fork over $150+ pp on top on a vacation flight to Europe? Could easily increase your bill 50%. Seems that only the "elites" can afford this ($150+ on top of a J ticket $3,000+ to Europe is just 5%).
Isn't testing free for most people, or included in their insurance? It is free for all New Yorkers for example. And with my insurance it is also free.
Old Sep 28, 2020, 6:51 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by stimpy
Isn't testing free for most people, or included in their insurance? It is free for all New Yorkers for example. And with my insurance it is also free.
expedited PCR testing charges a premium surcharge. That being said I don’t know if the extra cost is covered.

anyone have any experience?
Old Sep 28, 2020, 7:00 pm
Suspended

Again, no. This will likely be an improvement over the current system, but it will absolutely not be a game-changer. Answer me these questions, considering you're a very average leisure tourist who typically does no-hassle package holidays (the majority of tourists):

- Will you be willing to spend 2-3 hours extra at the airport to have this test done (remember, even if the test itself takes only 15 minutes, there are hundreds of people who will need to get this done at the airport and you don't know how long that line will be).
- If the requirement is to not do this at the airport, but beforehand then we are back at the same issue of one extra hassle-step which most leisure tourists won't deal with and simply go somewhere without restrictions.
- Most importantly, are you willing to risk failing this rapid test at the end of your trip, and be stuck in Kenya or Peru or wherever the test was done before your return flight

I am an extremely savvy tech-smart rich traveller without kids or family or work on-site obligations, and even I am hesitant to go anywhere with testing restrictions because of the possibility of too much hassle on failing/delaying of the test. Now imagine the mindset of your typical family with specific dates and specific budget. They will simply not want to deal with it.
I respectfully disagree. If this test is to be conducted at home (as it’s marketed) then why wouldn’t anyone not go through this step to be able to visit “X” w/o quarantine? Sounds like a no brainer to me.

What country currently requires you to take a test upon leaving? I don’t understand the end of your trip comment. As a US National I’m not required to take a test to re-enter my country.

However I do agree of the test can only be administered at an airport it would be completely useless as the time factor would be too long.
Old Sep 28, 2020, 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by enviroian
What country currently requires you to take a test upon leaving? I don’t understand the end of your trip comment. As a US National I’m not required to take a test to re-enter my country.
Lots of countries in middle east and africa require a covid test to get on a plane, even if your destination does not require it.

E.g. https://qatarairways.zendesk.com/hc/...all-countries- (notice it says *from* not *to*). Emirates, Etihad and lots of other middle eastern international flights have the same requirement. Will you risk being stuck in any of these countries because you cannot get a test in time? Many places require a test even if you're doing just international airside transit (e.g. DXB)

And of course, the world doesn't revolve around US nationals. UAE requires everyone entering the country to have a covid test, even their own citizens. Many many many many other countries have the same requirement, even for their own citizens.

"Test administered at home" will never be an acceptable option specially in africa/asia because people will just fake the results. Photoshop exists. This is why lots of these countries have a specific list of labs where test can be taken, nowhere else.
LETTERBOY likes this.

Last edited by nomiiiii; Sep 28, 2020 at 7:19 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.