FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Coronavirus: testing and travel
View Single Post
Old Oct 22, 2020, 6:11 pm
littlefish

Programs: VS Silver, BA Blue - finally; but hotels.com Gold :)
Originally Posted by YYCCL3
I posted it earlier in the Canada forum as well, but I'm super excited to share that my home jurisdiction is launching a test on arrival program valid from ANY origin. The main condition is that you have to enter Canada only through Calgary airport, which has limited international service these days (likely why they chose YYC over busier airports).

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...ilot-1.5772637
Well done Alberta!
Good its a pilot as highly likely it'll need to be fine-tuned (re-tuned) after real world results and behaviors.

Not quite sure I follow this bit: "If the test comes back negative, travellers will be allowed to leave their place of quarantine as long as they commit to getting a second test on day six or seven after arrival, at a community pharmacy participating in the pilot program, the province said. "

So, test at Day 0. Quarantine for 2 days. The 'result' is released after 2 days. Free to go (with conditions) if the test is negative.

What is gained by quarantining for the two days? Why not just give the result in an hour (LAMP) or within 8 hours like Jersey is now doing?
There will need to be very strong incentives and policing of the scheme to ensure the second tests are completed and secure good data for the pilot. But as above, all a bit pointless if a Day 6 test has a 48 hour turnaround time.

The jury is still out on this but hopefully strong science will emerge to allow the Day 4 vs Day 5 vs Day 6 vs Day 7 trade-offs to be fully understood and a policy chosen. Day 0 should be a given!

Meanwhile any updates from the YYZ pilot?