Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

USA halts entry of visitors who’ve been in UK, Ireland, Schengen countries

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 11, 2020, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
US Department of Homeland Security Announcement: https://www.dhs.gov/news/2020/03/11/...l-proclamation
Whitehouse.gov Proclamation (more detail): https://trumpwhitehouse.archives.gov/presidential-actions/proclamation-suspension-entry-immigrants-nonimmigrants-certain-additional-persons-pose-risk-transmitting-2019-novel-coronavirus/

Sec. 5. Effective Date. This proclamation is effective at 11:59 p.m. eastern daylight time on March 13, 2020. This proclamation does not apply to persons aboard a flight scheduled to arrive in the United States that departed prior to 11:59 p.m. eastern daylight time on March 13, 2020.
Section 1. Suspension and Limitation on Entry. The entry into the United States, as immigrants or nonimmigrants, of all aliens who were physically present within the Schengen Area during the 14-day period preceding their entry or attempted entry into the United States is hereby suspended and limited subject to section 2 of this proclamation.

For purposes of this proclamation, the Schengen Area comprises 26 European states: Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, and Switzerland

Release Date:
March 11, 2020(WASHINGTON) Today President Donald J. Trump signed a Presidential Proclamation, which suspends the entry of most foreign nationals who have been in certain European countries at any point during the 14 days prior to their scheduled arrival to the United States. These countries, known as the Schengen Area, include: Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, and Switzerland. This does not apply to legal permanent residents, (generally) immediate family members of U.S. citizens, and other individuals who are identified in the proclamation.

Won't affect lawful permanent resident, spouse of US citizen/PR, .... (see list of exceptions below, taken from whitehouse.gov link above)
Sec. 2. Scope of Suspension and Limitation on Entry.

(a) Section 1 of this proclamation shall not apply to:

(i) any lawful permanent resident of the United States;

(ii) any alien who is the spouse of a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident;

(iii) any alien who is the parent or legal guardian of a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident, provided that the U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident is unmarried and under the age of 21;

(iv) any alien who is the sibling of a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident, provided that both are unmarried and under the age of 21;

(v) any alien who is the child, foster child, or ward of a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident, or who is a prospective adoptee seeking to enter the United States pursuant to the IR-4 or IH-4 visa classifications;

(vi) any alien traveling at the invitation of the United States Government for a purpose related to containment or mitigation of the virus;

(vii) any alien traveling as a nonimmigrant pursuant to a C-1, D, or C-1/D nonimmigrant visa as a crewmember or any alien otherwise traveling to the United States as air or sea crew;

(viii) any alien

(A) seeking entry into or transiting the United States pursuant to one of the following visas: A-1, A-2, C-2, C-3 (as a foreign government official or immediate family member of an official), E-1 (as an employee of TECRO or TECO or the employee’s immediate family members), G-1, G-2, G-3, G-4, NATO-1 through NATO-4, or NATO-6 (or seeking to enter as a nonimmigrant in one of those NATO categories); or

(B) whose travel falls within the scope of section 11 of the United Nations Headquarters Agreement;

(ix) any alien whose entry would not pose a significant risk of introducing, transmitting, or spreading the virus, as determined by the Secretary of Health and Human Services, through the CDC Director or his designee;

(x) any alien whose entry would further important United States law enforcement objectives, as determined by the Secretary of State, the Secretary of Homeland Security, or their respective designees, based on a recommendation of the Attorney General or his designee;

(xi) any alien whose entry would be in the national interest, as determined by the Secretary of State, the Secretary of Homeland Security, or their designees; or

(xii) members of the U.S. Armed Forces and spouses and children of members of the U.S. Armed Forces.

(b) Nothing in this proclamation shall be construed to affect any individual’s eligibility for asylum, withholding of removal, or protection under the regulations issued pursuant to the legislation implementing the Convention Against Torture and Other Cruel, Inhuman or Degrading Treatment or Punishment, consistent with the laws and regulations of the United States.
Print Wikipost

USA halts entry of visitors who’ve been in UK, Ireland, Schengen countries

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2020, 1:54 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by NWplatinum
I must be in Germany next month. The ban is suppose to be lifted April 18th, I arrive Germany April 20th. I have hotel booked and going through DXB.

Still wondering if I will make it? Others on here seem to be more acquainted with restrictions than I do and I want to make sure I am not overlooking anything at this current time.
Given the overall mood here, I think you should assume you will not be admitted unless you meet certain specific requirements.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 2:31 am

Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Given the overall mood here, I think you should assume you will not be admitted unless you meet certain specific requirements.
forgetting moods and emotions for a minute- am I incorrect in saying that Germany is planning (as of now) to open their borders to tourists April 18? Or am I wrong? If this changes I will cross that bridge when it comes.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 2:38 am

Programs: Miles&More SEN; ITA Premium, Asante Gold, IHG Platinum, BAEC Bronze, Accor Silver, Radisson Premier
forgetting moods and emotions for a minute- am I incorrect in saying that Germany is planning (as of now) to open their borders to tourists April 18? Or am I wrong? If this changes I will cross that bridge when it comes.
You are correct. Initially a 30 day restriction for entry for non-Schengen/EU citizens without an urgent reason for travel. See https://www.bmi.bund.de/SharedDocs/f...97140bodyText3 for latest information from the German interior ministry.
NWplatinum likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 2:40 am

I wouldn't put it that way. An order has been made forbidding most people from entering Germany (I'm not going to re-iterate the specific exceptions here, but [1]). The order expires on April 18 (I didn't verify this exact date but it sounds right) if it's not extended. It is very, very, very likely that it will be extended, and you should plan accordingly. Don't confuse a bureaucratic process (making fixed-length orders and renewing them) with an actual intent to open the border to tourists on that date.

[1] There are exceptions to the order that extend beyond just citizens / long-term residents. You have provided very little information, and I'm sure you have reasons for that, but if you can provide bona fide evidence of an urgent need to travel, you may be able to gain entry. That would be between you and the German authorities.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 3:00 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by bobbytables
I wouldn't put it that way. An order has been made forbidding most people from entering Germany (I'm not going to re-iterate the specific exceptions here, but [1]). The order expires on April 18 (I didn't verify this exact date but it sounds right) if it's not extended. It is very, very, very likely that it will be extended, and you should plan accordingly. Don't confuse a bureaucratic process (making fixed-length orders and renewing them) with an actual intent to open the border to tourists on that date.

[1] There are exceptions to the order that extend beyond just citizens / long-term residents. You have provided very little information, and I'm sure you have reasons for that, but if you can provide bona fide evidence of an urgent need to travel, you may be able to gain entry. That would be between you and the German authorities.
I would echo this. Again, you should assume (and plan accordingly) that this travel ban into the EU will be extended. There is talk of Germany completely sealing its borders. The situation is very fluid at the moment, but the probability that you will not be permitted entry on 20 April is higher than that you will be permitted entry. Can you be a bit more specific about the nature of the trip?
Old Mar 20, 2020, 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by bharat91
Preface: I am not allowed to post URLs yet, so I will describe how to get there instead...
Summary: I am exempt from the proclamation (US spouse) but my ESTA has been prematurely expired.

Hi all,

So I was following the following thread (hehe) to see if anyone had this issue. No one seemed to be in the same boat, so I've created a new thread.
Thread I was following: FlyerTalk > Coronavirus and travel > USA halts entry of visitors who’ve been in UK, Ireland, Schengen countries
A new thread I have started to follow as it may contain useful info: FlyerTalk > British Airways | Executive Club > BA got my ESTA cancelled

I came here to see if anyone else was in my boat, to see if they had any guidance, and to let you know what I have done so far for any others with similar issues.

My spouse is a US Citizen, I am not, nor am I a LPR. Under the current proclamation though, I am exempt from the travel ban.
However, judging from online forums, the USA is cancelling/expiring ESTA's of travellers with tickets to the USA indiscriminately.
My travel plans are outlined at the end of this post. The following is my attempt to have the exemption enforced.

Attempt at enforcing exemption - Round 1
I looked at the ESTA website; it says if your ESTA was cancelled and you believe you are exempt, to contact your airline, and airlines should contact RCLG for guidance.
Official ESTA CBP DHS website > United Kingdom Ireland Travel Proclamation Help > My ESTA was cancelled but I fall into an exemption...

I called United, told them my ESTA will be cancelled within a few days, and can they contact RCLG (Regional Carrier Liaison Group) as I am exempt.
After a long hour of chasing my tail, they said they do not call anyone, nor had they heard of the RCLG. I'll give them some credit, they stayed on the phone, and didn't get curt until the very end. They followed through on the ESTA website to verify what I said, and the link on the RCLG which gave airline guidance. However, at that point I hit a brick wall with them. Worryingly, the inital lady I spoke to had zero clue about the exemptions; as far as she was concerned only USC and LPR were allowed in.
RCLG Guidance: Google "Regional Carrier Liaison Group" > Follow the link to the official CBP website
On the right hand side, under bulletins, is "Coronavirus Guidance". I referred the United rep to the last bullet point.

United instructed me to call my consulate, which I did. Their automated message for travel to the USA said to call the Department of State.
I called the Dept. of State, and they agreed I am exempt, but I will need to talk to the airline and/or CBP about it.
So I rang CBP; they agreed that I am exempt, but told me to call the airline, and tell the airline to call RCLG. I mentioned that is exactly what I did earlier. CBP said to ask the United rep for their manager, and go through that way.

After all of this, I later received an email today to check my ESTA. I checked online, and it has now been expired prematurely. I am certain it is premature as I have a printout of if showing it expires at the end of April. (I also checked it earlier today and it stated Authorisation Approved").
So now my next steps are to call CBP again to ask about the premature expiration, to call the airline and try to get them to contact the RCLG, and then to try and reapply for an ESTA if so instructed. I am wary about reapplying without being told to though as I fear that will throw an additional spanner into the works.

Fun times!

Attempt at enforcing exemption - Round 2
I reached out to CPB once more to clarify that now my ESTA has been forced into early expiry, do I still need to go via the airline, and is there anything they can do.
The answer was a resounding, talk to your airline and tell them to contact RCLG. I must say, thus far everyone i spoke to from the US Govt. had been helpful, and had some clarity on what to do or who to reach out to.
So I called United. Eventually when I got through to an agent, I told them my story. They were at first confused, understandably, because as far as they could tell I was just trying to fly on an expired ESTA. After a short back and forth, they understood what I meant, but had never heard of the RCLG. She spoke with her supervisor, and after a while of being hold they came back to me.
RCLG is generally contacted after you check in, once you are the airport. So apparently I have to go to go to the airport, check in there, and they will contact RCLG to find out if I will be allowed to board or not, and allowed to enter or not... Interesting times are ahead... So we shall see on the morning of my flight if that works or not! I'll update here after that...

Travel Plans
LHR - SFO Friday 20th March, SFO - LHR Saturday 28th March (I am looking to change my ticket to return two weeks later than currently booked, of the exemption is approved)
The reason for my travel; I have study leave that I can take so I had planned to visit my wife for a week. She'll be working every day so I can study in the day time, and we can chill afterwards. Some time is better than no time as we don't get enough time in the year together.
Given that my current plans are one week, which is less than the quarantine period, I fear that may raise some issues too.
However, since I have some leave from work, I was planning to change my ticket and return in mid-April (so 3 weeks later); I still need to be back in the UK to sit some exams by the end of April.

If I get anywhere with having the exemption applied, I'll update here.
I am sure there must be others who fall under the exemption, who wanted to travel under an ESTA, and have hit issues.
Please update us (me) with your stories!

Happy travels all,
B.
Bharat, not sure if you will read this before you fly. Also the spouse of a US citizen. I flew on an ESTA to the US yesterday. Before I could board the flight the airline staff had to see my marriage certificate and a copy of my spouse’s US passport. At the gate before I could board I had to show the docs again to a Homeland Security representative. I was allowed board no problem, everyone was very polite and professional, no issues.

My ESTA was cancelled mid air - I landed to a similar email to the one you mentioned and thanks to reading your post the day before I flew, I was pretty sure I knew what had happened. When I arrived in the US, I did the usual immigration lark (after being welcomed by CDC at the plane and having to submit a form etc as other flyers have reported) and was told I didn’t have an ESTA and had to go to secondary immigration.

Secondary immigration required my marriage certificate again and asked a number of questions about my marriage, whether we had applied for a spouse visa, when etc. They explained that the cancellation of my ESTA was a blanket action but because I met the exception rules i.e spouse of a US citizen, I could enter and have been put on a B2 for duration of my trip. They knew exactly what had happened and were very courteous. You will need to isolate for 14 days when you get here though.
Safe travels and good luck.
GUWonder and Unionruler like this.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
To answer my own question from above. FDF/PTP/SXM etc, are not considered for the ban. Anyone can fly in from those into the US.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by bharat91
Preface: I am not allowed to post URLs yet, so I will describe how to get there instead...
Summary: I am exempt from the proclamation (US spouse) but my ESTA has been prematurely expired.

Hi all,

So I was following the following thread (hehe) to see if anyone had this issue. No one seemed to be in the same boat, so I've created a new thread.
Thread I was following: FlyerTalk > Coronavirus and travel > USA halts entry of visitors who’ve been in UK, Ireland, Schengen countries
A new thread I have started to follow as it may contain useful info: FlyerTalk > British Airways | Executive Club > BA got my ESTA cancelled

I came here to see if anyone else was in my boat, to see if they had any guidance, and to let you know what I have done so far for any others with similar issues.

My spouse is a US Citizen, I am not, nor am I a LPR. Under the current proclamation though, I am exempt from the travel ban.
However, judging from online forums, the USA is cancelling/expiring ESTA's of travellers with tickets to the USA indiscriminately.
My travel plans are outlined at the end of this post. The following is my attempt to have the exemption enforced.

Attempt at enforcing exemption - Round 1
I looked at the ESTA website; it says if your ESTA was cancelled and you believe you are exempt, to contact your airline, and airlines should contact RCLG for guidance.
Official ESTA CBP DHS website > United Kingdom Ireland Travel Proclamation Help > My ESTA was cancelled but I fall into an exemption...

I called United, told them my ESTA will be cancelled within a few days, and can they contact RCLG (Regional Carrier Liaison Group) as I am exempt.
After a long hour of chasing my tail, they said they do not call anyone, nor had they heard of the RCLG. I'll give them some credit, they stayed on the phone, and didn't get curt until the very end. They followed through on the ESTA website to verify what I said, and the link on the RCLG which gave airline guidance. However, at that point I hit a brick wall with them. Worryingly, the inital lady I spoke to had zero clue about the exemptions; as far as she was concerned only USC and LPR were allowed in.
RCLG Guidance: Google "Regional Carrier Liaison Group" > Follow the link to the official CBP website
On the right hand side, under bulletins, is "Coronavirus Guidance". I referred the United rep to the last bullet point.

United instructed me to call my consulate, which I did. Their automated message for travel to the USA said to call the Department of State.
I called the Dept. of State, and they agreed I am exempt, but I will need to talk to the airline and/or CBP about it.
So I rang CBP; they agreed that I am exempt, but told me to call the airline, and tell the airline to call RCLG. I mentioned that is exactly what I did earlier. CBP said to ask the United rep for their manager, and go through that way.

After all of this, I later received an email today to check my ESTA. I checked online, and it has now been expired prematurely. I am certain it is premature as I have a printout of if showing it expires at the end of April. (I also checked it earlier today and it stated Authorisation Approved").
So now my next steps are to call CBP again to ask about the premature expiration, to call the airline and try to get them to contact the RCLG, and then to try and reapply for an ESTA if so instructed. I am wary about reapplying without being told to though as I fear that will throw an additional spanner into the works.

Fun times!

Attempt at enforcing exemption - Round 2
I reached out to CPB once more to clarify that now my ESTA has been forced into early expiry, do I still need to go via the airline, and is there anything they can do.
The answer was a resounding, talk to your airline and tell them to contact RCLG. I must say, thus far everyone i spoke to from the US Govt. had been helpful, and had some clarity on what to do or who to reach out to.
So I called United. Eventually when I got through to an agent, I told them my story. They were at first confused, understandably, because as far as they could tell I was just trying to fly on an expired ESTA. After a short back and forth, they understood what I meant, but had never heard of the RCLG. She spoke with her supervisor, and after a while of being hold they came back to me.
RCLG is generally contacted after you check in, once you are the airport. So apparently I have to go to go to the airport, check in there, and they will contact RCLG to find out if I will be allowed to board or not, and allowed to enter or not... Interesting times are ahead... So we shall see on the morning of my flight if that works or not! I'll update here after that...

Travel Plans
LHR - SFO Friday 20th March, SFO - LHR Saturday 28th March (I am looking to change my ticket to return two weeks later than currently booked, of the exemption is approved)
The reason for my travel; I have study leave that I can take so I had planned to visit my wife for a week. She'll be working every day so I can study in the day time, and we can chill afterwards. Some time is better than no time as we don't get enough time in the year together.
Given that my current plans are one week, which is less than the quarantine period, I fear that may raise some issues too.
However, since I have some leave from work, I was planning to change my ticket and return in mid-April (so 3 weeks later); I still need to be back in the UK to sit some exams by the end of April.

If I get anywhere with having the exemption applied, I'll update here.
I am sure there must be others who fall under the exemption, who wanted to travel under an ESTA, and have hit issues.
Please update us (me) with your stories!

Happy travels all,
B.
So what happened in the end? Were you able to travel? I am interested as my scenario is very similar to yours.
Old Apr 24, 2020, 7:05 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, AA 4MM Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
I too would love to know how you got on.
Old Apr 26, 2020, 1:48 am

Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
I’m making an assumption. But when someone doesn’t follow up on here with their story, things usually worked out.

Again, just a guess.
Old Apr 26, 2020, 1:17 pm

I take it you have to actually be married for this exception to work? Not just partners living together?

But of a disaster since marriages here have been stopped!
Old Apr 26, 2020, 1:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Many states in the USA have long recognized "common law" marriages, but usually it had to be two otherwise unmarried individuals who had cohabited together for at least seven years, perhaps with a requirement that they had been presenting themselves to others as husband and wife. Typically the common law spouse would have been entitled to alimony(when/where it exists), child support, inheritance (especially if there's no will), and property rights in a divorce, for example in community property states.
Old Apr 26, 2020, 3:51 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Dan1113
I take it you have to actually be married for this exception to work? Not just partners living together?

But of a disaster since marriages here have been stopped!
For the exception to work requires convincing the airline and/or the USG that the person is eligible for the exemption to the ban. It doesn’t necessarily involve having to be actually married for the exemption to be used, but the ban’s exemption for some foreign nationals wasn’t intended to be applicable to run-of-the-mill boyfriend-girlfriend and other such “romantic” relationships even if the couple are living together.
Old Apr 26, 2020, 4:55 pm

So when will this ban end?
Old Apr 27, 2020, 3:39 am

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Eurobonus Silver, ALL Gold
Originally Posted by Owenc
So when will this ban end?
Subscribe to the thread here and check the linked IATA page. This gets updated very regularly
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/coro...r-country.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.