Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

COVID-19: Lounge thread for thoughts, concerns and questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 11, 2020, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Ocn Vw 1K
In order to reduce noise in the Coronavirus / Covid-19 : general fact-based reporting thread, and to create a central place to invite any member to ask a basic question about the impact of COVID-19 on travel, your moderators have decided to open this separate "lounge" thread for related discussion that isn't strictly fact-based reporting.
Any member who can provide a constructive, helpful answer to a question; or post constructively in reply to a member's point-of-view, is welcome to post.

All FT rules apply, including avoiding personalized, snarky, political, other off-topic, commercial, and repeatedly disruptive content.

Discussion of general economic impacts of Covid-19 belongs in the OMNI forum, not here.
Discussion and critique of political/government actions to aid the economy or which is far more political than related to COVID-19 is for the OMNI/PR forum, not here.

This is a protocol for posting adopted by the forum Moderator team:Please follow this protocol, based on FlyerTalk Rules and long-standing FlyerTalk best practices. Doing so will help keep the thread open, and allow our moderator team to aid members, rather than having to resort to discipline.

•Constructive, respectful posts, views, opinions, questions, and replies, related to the topic are welcome. Avoid commenting on members personally, or posting off-topic or political messages.

•While respectful disagreement of a posted view is allowed, don’t call-out posters to prove their points. FlyerTalk has never required discussion standards at the level of a Ph.D. dissertation defense, or a trial court witness cross-examination.

•After a reasonable exchange of views on a point, please yield the floor so that others may bring up different topics, questions or points.

•Especially important in this time of pandemic, when normal life and travel have been upended: please take regular breaks from the thread.
Please stay healthy,

your FT Coronavirus and Travel Moderator Team.

Print Wikipost

COVID-19: Lounge thread for thoughts, concerns and questions

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2020, 6:45 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by stimpy
One joint? Why not compare with one cigarette per day for a completely useless statistic. My post was about the screaming news headlines about young people dying left and right, especially in California. Young people who like to consume marijuana do not smoke just one joint per day. Nor just two. And it isn't a competition between marijuana and tobacco. Smoking anything, or inhaling the output of a two-stroke leaf-blower engine, is bad for your lungs.
Where are people getting that the hospitalized “young” in San Francisco and NYC hospitals are generally potheads? The doctors I know to be working in San Francisco and in Manhattan whom I asked about this were sort of like “what whacky stuff are you inhaling?” when I asked for their thoughts on the background of cases they were seeing in the hospitals. Could it be that marijuana meddles with receptors in the respiratory tract and make people more susceptible to getting hit harder by this virus? I guess that would depend if it sort of works like some medicines prescribed for hypertension that may meddle with some receptors so as to make people more susceptible to this virus.

Yemenis and some Horn Africans smoke a lot of khat, but are they seeing a lot of hospitalized “young” from getting hit hard by this virus at this point? If so, that would be news to me.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 6:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Tonight's data out of NYC once again shows that coronavirus is a very deadly disease, but only if you are old or very sick. The percentage of deaths to victims with serious pre-existing illnesses has ticked up to a whopping 97%, and half the deaths are from people 75 years and older. In other words, almost nobody young and healthy dies from coronavirus.

https://www1.nyc.gov/assets/doh/down...ary-deaths.pdf
Old Mar 26, 2020, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Young people are hospitalized, though, and some end up with lung damage. It's not just about death.
GUWonder, Temedar and ajGoes like this.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Where are people getting that the hospitalized “young” in San Francisco and NYC hospitals are generally potheads?
Nobody said that.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by iahphx
Tonight's data out of NYC once again shows that coronavirus is a very deadly disease, but only if you are old or very sick. The percentage of deaths to victims with serious pre-existing illnesses has ticked up to a whopping 97%, and half the deaths are from people 75 years and older. In other words, almost nobody young and healthy dies from coronavirus.

As long as "almost nobody" means that people 18-64 are dying at at least 10-60 times the rate they die of from the flu (since a *lot* fewer young "almost nobodys" die of the flu also than older groups). And, best I can calculate (I can share my napkin math later), both the 18-44 and 45-67 age groups have already had half as many deaths in New York City (16 and 77 respectively) from COVID-19 in the last couple weeks as in an entire typical flu season. From a virus that is spreading and killing exponentially because nobody has immunity (only 5-20% of the US population gets the flu each year) and with no known seasonal end. And that's without talking about hospitalization, capacity, life quality impacts of survivors, etc.

Young people shouldn't panic...but they also shouldn't "almost nobody" either. It's not *just* about grandma in the nursing home.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 8:06 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by allset2travel
Even if (big if) some (or most) businesses partially (or fully) return to operation, I personally would not travel by air unitl July. Just me!
I was thinking the same but I'm even afraid to book for July without knowing if/when all these restrictions would be lifted so I would be allowed entry at my destination and also not be required to quarantine.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 8:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Originally Posted by iahphx

What percentage of those infected who are 75 and older die?

What percentage of those infected with "serious pre-existing illnesses" die?

You're not saying 97% of people in these categories die if they get infected?
Old Mar 26, 2020, 8:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Germophobes are having their moment but things will go back to normal.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by wco81
What percentage of those infected who are 75 and older die?

What percentage of those infected with "serious pre-existing illnesses" die?

You're not saying 97% of people in these categories die if they get infected?
No, they clearly aren’t saying that. 97% of people who died in NY were either 75+ or had an existing serious illness.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by jmastron
From a virus that is spreading and killing exponentially because nobody has immunity (only 5-20% of the US population gets the flu each year) and with no known seasonal end.
I think it’s pretty clear at this point that there is the usual temperature effect already known with other coronaviruses. Just have a look at how well it spreads in Europe/USA right now vs in tropical countries eg south east Asia. There was also a study out of China that showed a pretty clear relationship between transmission and temperature/humidity.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 9:49 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Originally Posted by Visconti
I'm sensing there comes a point where the anxiety from not being able to earn a living will for many Americans exceed the panic of contracting a pathogen with a mortality rate that is likely well south of 1%.
The mortality rate can be discussed when we are not at the start of pandemic in the USA. Rather, a more reliable indication can be obtained 6 months after the start of the pandemic. Of greater importance is the cost of the current medical crisis. The care of the ill has disrupted medical care. There is collateral damage for patients who can no longer get a hospital bed for general surgery or cannot receive oncology treatment etc. Hospital care in the USA is expensive and ICU care can easily run into the thousands if not tens of thousands per day. If the NYC crisis is an indication of what to expect in large urban centers then the USA is about to incur a medical bill that will be massive.. You want anxiety, consider the impact of having to deal with caring for high risk relatives. We cannot just abandon 1/4 or more of society. It would cause a loss of civil society cohesion. This isn't Sparta.

Last edited by Transpacificflyer; Mar 26, 2020 at 9:55 pm
Old Mar 26, 2020, 10:04 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by bobbytables
For a decade or so we’ll be much better prepared to handle the next pandemic. During that time there will be no pandemic, so after a decade or so people will start to wonder whether that money could be better spent elsewhere. The funding for the measures will be picked at, bit by bit, as an easy target for funding other things. By the time the next pandemic rolls around we’ll be basically where we were this time.
Don't forget the empire building and mission creep/drift of bureaucracies and bureaucrats. *cough*CDC*cough*
Old Mar 26, 2020, 11:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by rustykettel
Don't forget the empire building and mission creep/drift of bureaucracies and bureaucrats. *cough*CDC*cough*
We are just in the middle of an epic pathetic failure of the CDC and the administration's lack of support for it to handle a crisis that is costing lives and destroyed the economy, and your concern is that the CDC will be too powerful and bureaucratic in the future? Unbelievable...
ajGoes likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 11:16 pm

Originally Posted by Visconti
I've dealt with mathematical models my entire life. Predictive ones are generally uncertain, at best. Soon enough, we in the USA will have plenty of data to analyze. For the price I and my fellow Americans were coerced into paying by fiat, I want an accounting of who was right, wrong, or anywhere in between.

I just care that they were right. If they were wrong, I care about that too. This isn't a game, and we're playing with the highest stakes here, and the consequences for being right or wrong should be consistent with those stakes.
It's interesting. Why will none of these states publish the models and data into the public domain, for them to actually be peer reviewed/critiqued? If these experts are so sure that their modelling is correct, let others review it and confirm it. Until then I'm left baffled how one model can predict 60% of the population will be infected, Minnesota is stating 40% of their population will ikely be infected, meanwhile I had a colleague send me an update today that Illinois department of health is finding only expecting 1% of their population to be infected.

Originally Posted by PaulMSN
Another example -- someone points out that the number of young people being hospitalized is fairly high. Response -- they're just getting oxygen that they could get at home. Again, no proof that this is the case. Quibbles.
No proof? Sorry I can't post people's medical records online showing what interventions the vast majority of non-ICU patients are receiving. And when I did make an argument for this, the reply was deflecting to a different reason then, "we can't treat people at home because healthcare system putting them on dangerous medications that need to be monitored in the hospital" [they don't, which I addressed in my earlier response], and "people can't go home if they're infected because they can infect others in their building via central duct systems" [only if they don't maintain distancing, but this is not an aerosol spread virus, and 90% of positive cases are already being handled at home, which I also pointed out in my earlier response]. Which my replies were then ignored because the person had already made up their mind that obviously no one could be treated at home and they just parroted the same responses. The other thing I said was suggesting we should do that, BECAUSE DOCTORS IN ITALY SAID THEY WISHED THEY TREATED MORE PEOPLE AT HOME and pleaded with other countries to do that, for their own sake. https://www.statnews.com/2020/03/21/...ients-at-home/
Visconti likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 11:22 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
It sure will. The question is when.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.