Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

COVID-19: Lounge thread for thoughts, concerns and questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 11, 2020, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Ocn Vw 1K
In order to reduce noise in the Coronavirus / Covid-19 : general fact-based reporting thread, and to create a central place to invite any member to ask a basic question about the impact of COVID-19 on travel, your moderators have decided to open this separate "lounge" thread for related discussion that isn't strictly fact-based reporting.
Any member who can provide a constructive, helpful answer to a question; or post constructively in reply to a member's point-of-view, is welcome to post.

All FT rules apply, including avoiding personalized, snarky, political, other off-topic, commercial, and repeatedly disruptive content.

Discussion of general economic impacts of Covid-19 belongs in the OMNI forum, not here.
Discussion and critique of political/government actions to aid the economy or which is far more political than related to COVID-19 is for the OMNI/PR forum, not here.

This is a protocol for posting adopted by the forum Moderator team:Please follow this protocol, based on FlyerTalk Rules and long-standing FlyerTalk best practices. Doing so will help keep the thread open, and allow our moderator team to aid members, rather than having to resort to discipline.

•Constructive, respectful posts, views, opinions, questions, and replies, related to the topic are welcome. Avoid commenting on members personally, or posting off-topic or political messages.

•While respectful disagreement of a posted view is allowed, don’t call-out posters to prove their points. FlyerTalk has never required discussion standards at the level of a Ph.D. dissertation defense, or a trial court witness cross-examination.

•After a reasonable exchange of views on a point, please yield the floor so that others may bring up different topics, questions or points.

•Especially important in this time of pandemic, when normal life and travel have been upended: please take regular breaks from the thread.
Please stay healthy,

your FT Coronavirus and Travel Moderator Team.

Print Wikipost

COVID-19: Lounge thread for thoughts, concerns and questions

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2020, 8:08 am

Programs: AA, DL, TK
Originally Posted by arlflyer
... For example, more restroom doors that open outward ...
The best practice I've seen is a touchless hand-level sensor to open the door (as is often seen for paper towel dispensers). Then the directionality becomes immaterial.
GBBob likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 8:13 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
Originally Posted by echoamen
It is difficult time for the wolrd , lots of people stay home .

even though in such beautiful spring , few people have their trip in their countries or foreign countries

i wonder if there is any measures to protect myself in trip ,if it is safe to have a trip now ? if there is any recommend place

really want to go to trip

thank you in advance
”Trip” in the sense of flying on a plane or going on a boat probably not a good idea right now. We’ve debated ad nasuem about potentially catching the virus and spreading, etc., but to in this very moment that’s irrelevant. Anywhere you would go places are almost certainly to be severely curtailed or in this case of Taiwan, Singapore, impossible to get to in this time.

Where do you live? Perhaps it’s a nice time to take the car and do a low risk activity, like hiking a trail or having a picnic in a National park away from others.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 8:16 am

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
Most airport bathrooms have no doors IAD, DCA, DFW, and EGE come to mind. I'm sure there will be more of these at those airports that do not.

Most airport lounges do have doors; IAD BA lounge, DCA AC, DFW AC, QF LAX F Lounge (actually has 2 doors post hand wash), CX Pier, and others I am sure.
Loren Pechtel and arlflyer like this.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 8:21 am

Originally Posted by echoamen
i wonder if there is any measures to protect myself in trip ,if it is safe to have a trip now ? if there is any recommend place
Ah, traveling to a foreign country would pose a risk where you may find yourself imposed with a 14 day quarantine or restricted from leaving should things escalate. I'd say if one lived in country with a large landmass, such as the United States, it's an acceptable risk to travel in a car, especially to a second or vacation home. In addition, it's probably safer to be an a less dense areas than large cities.

Not sure what kind of trip this would be, but driving with yourself or your family to relatively remote areas to enjoy the outdoors stuff, e.g., cabin in the woods thing. I've never tried one of those road trips to the middle of the country, but, assuming they'd ever let me leave SF, I may consider it.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 8:22 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by TravelingZoomer
As a trained psychologist, I implore you to stop using psychological terms incorrectly.

Groupthink occurs when people withhold their true beliefs because they don’t want to disrupt the harmony of group, “not rocking the boat”. People disagreeing with you, even if you’re in the minority opinion (and I’m not making judgements about wrong or right in this sense), is not groupthink.

Groupthink can be right or it can be wrong, although most people think about it in terms of when things go wrong. Classic example is JFK’s decision to green light the bay of pigs.
Oh but it is. What if people are disagreeing with contrary viewpoints because they are too scared of reaction from peers if they were to say, "hang on a minute, you might be onto something".

I, too, share some concerns that policy makers are making blinkered decisions and deferring all decision making to "eminent" experts who are well accomplished in their own fields but necessarily lacking in expertise from other fields (you cannot be good at everything) without listening to contrary viewpoints from people in the same or different fields (e.g. economics, social science etc).

It is so important right now that anyone who notices something unusual, whether it is with individual patients, populations, biomedical investigations, economic impact etc actively challenge the status quo to ensure there is constant debate and questioning of current strategy. If we just blindly follow a path which is conveniently carved out for us by a small group of people (regardless of the fact that they are acting in the best of intentions) in a situation where virtually everything is uncertain, we are sure to falter. We must not stop thinking and questioning the status quo. After all, we are in this mess because we failed to listen to Li Wenliang, ostensibly not an "expert" in epidemiology/pandemics but an astute ophthalmologist who noticed something bad was happening but was suppressed because his views were contrary to the status quo.
wrp96 and rustykettel like this.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 8:23 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Where do you live? Perhaps it’s a nice time to take the car and do a low risk activity, like hiking a trail or having a picnic in a National park away from others.
Keep in mind, that quite a few parks are closed or closing.

Here's something about the Appalachian Trail, for instance:

March 23, 2020: The Appalachian Trail, given its ever-increasing popularity over the past weeks, is no longer a viable space to practice social distancing. Read the letter from ATC President & CEO Sandra Marra asking all hikers to postpone A.T. hikes of any length until further notice.

Old Mar 26, 2020, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by Gerbs
The best practice I've seen is a touchless hand-level sensor to open the door (as is often seen for paper towel dispensers). Then the directionality becomes immaterial.
The foot-grabber thingies sometimes mounted on the bottoms of doors are pretty cool too, though on some heavier doors I've nearly torn a hip flexor using them!
Eyenigma likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 8:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by GUWonder
If everyone did this with every grocery item, we would eat a whole lot less.

Reusable cloth bags that some people use for groceries and other shopping are more awful fomites than plastic bags .... at least for stuff stored in the open at a room temperature for people.

The tunnel-visioned and stove-piping “save the world” types are going to struggle with what how to align all the messages they jump on.

Well, plastic bags are illegal in NY but I believe the virus lives longer on plastic than paper anyway. We have been getting food, wiping the outside of the container with disinfectant and transferring to another container in some cases and asking sure stuff is well cooked.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 8:41 am

Police in India allegedly beat man to death shopping for milk

India is on nationwide lockdown, but an exception is being allowed to go out shopping for food. That apparently did not work out so well for one man who went shopping for milk, and seems not to have been believed by police who allegedly beat him so severely that he died.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/202...olice-beating/

I guess be suspected of evading lockdown can have some pretty severe consequences some places.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 8:43 am

Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
Well, plastic bags are illegal in NY but I believe the virus lives longer on plastic than paper anyway. We have been getting food, wiping the outside of the container with disinfectant and transferring to another container in some cases and asking sure stuff is well cooked.
The real problem are the reusable shopping bags which harbor germs for the next time you go shopping.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 8:45 am

Originally Posted by doctoravios
Oh but it is. What if people are disagreeing with contrary viewpoints because they are too scared of reaction from peers if they were to say, "hang on a minute, you might be onto something"
Right.

When all (it's never all, but most will remain quiet for the reasons you've mentioned) of your peers are in agreement, there is extraordinary risk, both financial and reputational, to be the lone contrarian. If you go with the consensus, there's little price to pay for being wrong. I mean, it wasn't just me? It was all of us! Conversely, if you were the lone contrarian on the wrong side, your career would be over, and reputation forever shattered.

With our peers, our reputation is everything.
The_Bouncer likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by skijump
How are others dealing with the situation? Right now, Im thinking of waiting til mid april...
Currently, I've placed all plans to abroad on hold, and will remain Stateside until we have more visibility how this thing is progressing. While I'm optimistic by nature, I'm not sure when, as an American, the 14 day quarantines will be lifted.

I'm, as they say, data dependent, at this point.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 9:08 am

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt
As a trained psychologist, I implore you to stop using psychological terms incorrectly.

Groupthink occurs when people withhold their true beliefs because they don’t want to disrupt the harmony of group, “not rocking the boat”. People disagreeing with you, even if you’re in the minority opinion (and I’m not making judgements about wrong or right in this sense), is not groupthink.

Groupthink can be right or it can be wrong, although most people think about it in terms of when things go wrong. Classic example is JFK’s decision to green light the bay of pigs.
What falls into the "abundance of caution" and the placing of value of a life no matter how old above the huge cost to a lot of younger people suffering both economically or physically if they get it. Who gets to make that decision. We have people that express that thought in extreme ways that can distort the larger underlying choice we as a society or country or individual need to make.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
Well, plastic bags are illegal in NY.
Hah! Tell that to all the NYC grocery stores that double bag with plastic. If there is such a law, I don't see anyone following it.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 9:11 am

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt
Originally Posted by Carolinian
India is on nationwide lockdown, but an exception is being allowed to go out shopping for food. That apparently did not work out so well for one man who went shopping for milk, and seems not to have been believed by police who allegedly beat him so severely that he died.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/202...olice-beating/

I guess be suspected of evading lockdown can have some pretty severe consequences some places.
A tragedy indeed, but how do you make people follow the most strict measure w/o some risk of severe ramification. Then the larger population of billion make the necessary adjustments regardless of the personal costs and the larger group has huge reward/benefit?

Take the very different debate now happening with POTUS who wants to turn at Easter.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.