lockdown and who pays the bill

Old Feb 28, 2020, 9:23 am
Original Poster

lockdown and who pays the bill

in the news were several lockdowns of hotels .tenerife ,austria
When you stay there your stay could become a lot longer.
Hotel pay for it , or the governement ??
I asked RIVM dutch office for healht issues and one of the hotels we will stay coming month
Comments of TUI on internet is its new we dont know
I asked AMEX travel insurance about it ,answer when you are not sick then its only delay of travel insurance max 200 euros p.person
Any body knows something about this subject??
greetings
cornelis
Old Feb 29, 2020, 5:30 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Originally Posted by nkob
in the news were several lockdowns of hotels .tenerife ,austria
When you stay there your stay could become a lot longer.
Hotel pay for it , or the governement ??
I asked RIVM dutch office for healht issues and one of the hotels we will stay coming month
Comments of TUI on internet is its new we dont know
I asked AMEX travel insurance about it ,answer when you are not sick then its only delay of travel insurance max 200 euros p.person
Any body knows something about this subject??
greetings
cornelis
Theres two hotels in Abu Dhabi still on lock down too. One is the "W".
Old Feb 29, 2020, 6:49 am
Original Poster

I heard that too
I asked a hilton where we made reservations beginning april frontoffice will ask the GM and send me email about it
I dont know if there is a general Hilton policy in this subject
meaby Hilton Ambassador can give a answer about it
greetings
cornelis
Old Feb 29, 2020, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
1. I don't see how any hotel can charge you, if you are forced to stay there against your will.
2. It would be ridiculously bad PR to charge quarantined hotel guests, who could easily go to the press and raise a fuss

However if you are stuck in country because of flight cancellations or the airline refuses to carry you, you are probably stuck making your own arrangements, although potentially the airlines would have "duty of care" responsibilities.
strickerj likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 8:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Global Adventurer
Theres two hotels in Abu Dhabi still on lock down too. One is the "W".
The other is a Crowne Plaza.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by craigthemif
1. I don't see how any hotel can charge you, if you are forced to stay there against your will.
2. It would be ridiculously bad PR to charge quarantined hotel guests, who could easily go to the press and raise a fuss

However if you are stuck in country because of flight cancellations or the airline refuses to carry you, you are probably stuck making your own arrangements, although potentially the airlines would have "duty of care" responsibilities.
Why would the airline have duty of care? 'Pandemic' is an act of God.
Why should the hotel eat it? In China many people could not return. Does that mean they do not pay rent?
Old Mar 1, 2020, 8:23 pm

Programs: Delta PM, AA PlatPro
I would assume if I was quarantined in a hotel for 2 weeks, that I would be expected to pay for my room.
Why would it be any other way?
Beano likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 8:27 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by s0ssos
Why would the airline have duty of care? 'Pandemic' is an act of God.
Why should the hotel eat it? In China many people could not return. Does that mean they do not pay rent?
EC 261 says that airlines do have a duty of care if EC261 applies to the carrier and route. Airlines paid for lodging and food when people were trapped for long periods after a volcano erupted some years ago.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
EC 261 says that airlines do have a duty of care if EC261 applies to the carrier and route. Airlines paid for lodging and food when people were trapped for long periods after a volcano erupted some years ago.
The exact situation someone was saying if the airline refuses to carry you or cancels flights. So far as I know, there is no place you cannot fly to yet (as in absolutely no carrier will take you there). And as for refusal to carry you, you mean if you have the virus? I'm not sure how that works.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by s0ssos
The exact situation someone was saying if the airline refuses to carry you or cancels flights. So far as I know, there is no place you cannot fly to yet (as in absolutely no carrier will take you there). And as for refusal to carry you, you mean if you have the virus? I'm not sure how that works.
I am simply saying that EC261 mandates duty of care during an "act of God."
craigthemif likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 9:25 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by WestCoastPDX
I would assume if I was quarantined in a hotel for 2 weeks, that I would be expected to pay for my room.
I don't know the exact situation here, but there's a zero percent chance I'd willingly pay a hotel if I was forced to stay there against my will.

Obviously there are scenarios where I would pay, but it would not be willingly.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 9:52 pm

Programs: AA, DL Gold, UA Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by WestCoastPDX
When I book a hotel room, I'm only expecting to pay what I agreed to up front. Additionally, who determines the fair room rate here, assuming that you aren't even able to use all of the hotel facilities if you are quarantined. What if you just don't have the money to pay for two additional weeks at an expensive hotel? If I am forbidden from leaving the property against my will, that becomes a problem between the government who forced the quarantine and the hotel.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 10:58 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I am simply saying that EC261 mandates duty of care during an "act of God."
I'm not sure about that either. On the wikipedia page it lists:
The definition of "extraordinary circumstances" will be further clarified to include natural disasters or air traffic control strikes, and to exclude technical problems identified during routine maintenance
Old Mar 1, 2020, 11:12 pm

Programs: Delta PM, AA PlatPro
I dont get it.

You break a leg and need surgery - you pay.
Could be someone elses fault... but you gotta pay for treatment.

You might not want to but, you pay.

You may not want to pay for two weeks extra of hotel nights, but, what does that matter?
You stayed 2 weeks, the hotel is due compensation.
Why would the person who stayed in the room not pay?
Old Mar 1, 2020, 11:24 pm

Originally Posted by etch5895
When I book a hotel room, I'm only expecting to pay what I agreed to up front. Additionally, who determines the fair room rate here, assuming that you aren't even able to use all of the hotel facilities if you are quarantined. What if you just don't have the money to pay for two additional weeks at an expensive hotel? If I am forbidden from leaving the property against my will, that becomes a problem between the government who forced the quarantine and the hotel.
And if you die, then you will sue the government for giving you the virus?

But going off your logic, who is going to pay the housekeeping staff? The kitchen staff? I presume they will work for free?
Beano likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.