Community
Wiki Posts
Search

lockdown and who pays the bill

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2020, 8:46 am

Programs: DL DM, 2 MM, UA Silver (thanks Marriott!), Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by helvetic
I'm in the Maldives right now. Sadly the St. Regis is not in lockdown so I guess I'll have to leave. Can someone please get Coronavirus here in the next couple days?
Its already there according to this map from Johns Hopkins University which is tracking the spread worldwide... 8 confirmed cases -
Old Mar 11, 2020, 10:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by resolute
Its already there according to this map from Johns Hopkins University which is tracking the spread worldwide... 8 confirmed cases -
Are any of the eight staying at the StR?
Old Mar 13, 2020, 4:11 pm

Getting stuck at all inclusive - Covid19

Hi All,

If we were to head out on our trip to Antigua (from Canada) and once there for some reason beyond our control like Canadian Government closing its border due to Covid19 for some time we get stuck in Antigua, who ends up paying for us to stay/eat in Antigua until the travel ban is lifted?

The trip is fully an Air Canada Vacations trip start to finish.

Thoughts ?
Old Mar 14, 2020, 12:32 am
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Are any of the eight staying at the StR?
No, different resorts. They did put the resorts under lockdown, everyone stuck 14 days. So terrible haha
Old Mar 14, 2020, 1:08 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Well we were joking about this… but guess I found out the answer.

Spent one night at the Sheraton Maldives before flying out after a week at the St. Regis. We're now under Wuhan lockdown due to a guest having symptoms. They're keeping us locked down here until further notice.

So much for spending a quick overnight before my flight. Would've been nicer to still be stuck at St. Regis.

They're supposedly hosting us free with basic full board until we can get out.

Will I get nightly credit for this? Ughh.
Adelphos likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 2:04 am
Suspended

I'm in the Maldives right now. Sadly the St. Regis is not in lockdown so I guess I'll have to leave. Can someone please get Coronavirus here in the next couple days?
If your hotel were to be locked down, you will be asked to stay in your room AT ALL TIME. It's not like you can still enjoy the facilities (pool, gym, lounge, bars, restaurants). You stay in your room and they deliver basic standard meals (unless you pay extra out of your pocket) to your door. No house keeping, no room services. Does this sound fun to you?

Last edited by Mama; Mar 14, 2020 at 2:35 am
Old Mar 14, 2020, 2:22 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by GUWonder
https://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2020...ir-force-base/ has a take on who pays.

An American living in China returned to the US with his daughter and they were in quarantine for some time. The bill came to the house of the guy’s mother and it amounts to something like $3500-5500. It’s not being covered by insurance from his employer in China. The majority of the cost was from an ambulance service.
And what he did was, raised money from Gofundme, and received a lot more money than he needed to pay for this expense, he then kept the rest all to himself. Well, he claimed he'd use the rest of money to buy a health insurance, but those money is way more than a full year of the most expensive health insurance premium for two people, so who knows. Talk about a selfish guy that takes advantage of people's generosity.
SamirD likes this.

Last edited by Mama; Mar 14, 2020 at 2:35 am
Old Mar 14, 2020, 2:37 am

Originally Posted by Mama
If your hotel were to be locked down, you will be asked to stay at your room AT ALL TIME. It's not like you can still enjoy the facilities (pool, gym, lounge, bars, restaurants). You stay in your room and they deliver basic standard meals (unless you pay extra out of your pocket) to your door. No house keeping, no room services. Does this sound fun to you?
With a 2br overwater villa with direct ocean access and a well stocked minibar it doesn't sound like the worst thing.

But sure, it's not _actually_ desirable. It was a joke.

Which may have earned me some bad karma given the Sheraton lockdown I'm stuck in now…
Old Mar 14, 2020, 4:29 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Which may have earned me some bad karma given the Sheraton lockdown I'm stuck in now…
What are your next plans? If there are no flights, any contingency?
Old Mar 14, 2020, 7:29 am

Originally Posted by Mama
If your hotel were to be locked down, you will be asked to stay in your room AT ALL TIME. It's not like you can still enjoy the facilities (pool, gym, lounge, bars, restaurants). You stay in your room and they deliver basic standard meals (unless you pay extra out of your pocket) to your door. No house keeping, no room services. Does this sound fun to you?
Also, for the record that's not the case. The Sheraton is under lockdown but all facilities are still available, restaurants, activities, etc. House keeping and room service still works. Meals can be had at restaurant (order anything off the menu and it's comp'd). Pools / gyms / etc all open. Resort is as usual, we just can't leave.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 10:24 pm

Programs: SPG, AA, United
Originally Posted by Stickboy46
If it's on lockdown, they aren't making money from that room whether you stay or not so really it comes down to costs. You minimize costs.. eliminate extra amenities during the lock down if needed. Cut back housekeeping if needed. Cut back free food etc
Being in the hospitality industry most of my life, it is unfortunately not that simple because the bulk of the expenses for operating a property are the debt service (mortgage) and payroll--and you can't cut anything out on those. You could close all amenities, remove all housekeeping and laundry services and all free food and dent less than 10% of the monthly expenses needed to keep afloat.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 10:25 pm

Programs: SPG, AA, United
Originally Posted by reclusive46
I guess you could cancel the credit card before they had a chance to authorise the additional nights stay. Not much the hotel could do if you reside in a different country (would be extremely costly to try and collect)
This typeically won't work because the second you extend your stay, the card is re-authorized and if it is rejected, the guest is contacted for an alternate payment method--standard operating procedure at any hotel front desk.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.