Community
Wiki Posts
Search

lockdown and who pays the bill

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2020, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by sbrower
What if you are allowed to leave the hotel, but not leave a six-block radius? So it has nothing to do with the hotel.
Same scenario. Also has nothing to do with the client. Hotel takes it up with the government.

Though in this scenario the hotel has the ability to "kick out" guests... Though I have a feeling the negative PR would heavily outweigh the costs of housing people in rooms that you would likely be leaving empty otherwise
Old Mar 10, 2020, 12:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Sick people sleeping in the street would be great for the hotel's reputation and neighborhood attractiveness.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 12:40 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Global Adventurer
The US government bears the responsibility for insuring the health and safety of the individual imprisoned and held against their will, including life's basics, food, shelter and water.
If only the did "insure" it...
Old Mar 10, 2020, 2:28 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
A truly unfortunate situation would be someone using points for an aspirational stay at an extremely expensive resort getting stuck there (local quarantine, entry requirements for next destination, or flight cancelations) and being forced to pay (either in real money or by attempting to buy enough points) for fourteen additional days.
Hopefully it’s not a country that has de facto debtors’ prisons (even as the prisons for debtors may be the same as for others who may be considered criminals of a more common sort). So which countries have a recent history of imprisoning people for unpaid financial debts? The UAE comes to mind, but it may not be alone.
SamirD likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 3:02 pm
jmw

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
A truly unfortunate situation would be someone using points for an aspirational stay at an extremely expensive resort getting stuck there (local quarantine, entry requirements for next destination, or flight cancelations) and being forced to pay (either in real money or by attempting to buy enough points) for fourteen additional days.
Best case scenario:
1) Pay rack rate in cash for 14 days. Points payment not allowed.

2) Pay it on a credit card. Then dispute it once you are safely repatriated. The credit card company rules against you because you occupied the room. You get sued by the CC company and get a judgment against you which leads to bank levy and wage garnishment. If you don't show up at a debtor's exam or provide evasive or misleading answers to avoid paying, judge rules you in contempt and you go to debtor's jail in the US.

Worst case scenario:
You are a points blogger without a real job so you have no substantial cash to pay rack rate. You are quarantined for 14 days and there are no flights out. Points/miles redemption not allowed. Debit/cash only. You don't pay, you get blocked by immigration and go to jail. You ask for your one phone call to the embassy and the prison guard says there is no such thing. You find out later from your embassy that you got canned from your job because you abandoned your position (if you're not a blogger).

Don't go unless you have deep pockets of cash. Not points. Not miles.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 3:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Hopefully it’s not a country that has de facto debtors’ prisons (even as the prisons for debtors may be the same as for others who may be considered criminals of a more common sort). So which countries have a recent history of imprisoning people for unpaid financial debts? The UAE comes to mind, but it may not be alone.
Good point. I would assume KSA, but maybe France too as IIRC there was a Saudi royal arrested when she tried to skip out on a huge Paris hotel bill.

Of course, in Japan one can be imprisoned for a long time before a trial occurs for financial crimes.
SamirD likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 4:17 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jmw
Best case scenario:
1) Pay rack rate in cash for 14 days. Points payment not allowed.

2) Pay it on a credit card. Then dispute it once you are safely repatriated. The credit card company rules against you because you occupied the room. You get sued by the CC company and get a judgment against you which leads to bank levy and wage garnishment. If you don't show up at a debtor's exam or provide evasive or misleading answers to avoid paying, judge rules you in contempt and you go to debtor's jail in the US.

Worst case scenario:
You are a points blogger without a real job so you have no substantial cash to pay rack rate. You are quarantined for 14 days and there are no flights out. Points/miles redemption not allowed. Debit/cash only. You don't pay, you get blocked by immigration and go to jail. You ask for your one phone call to the embassy and the prison guard says there is no such thing. You find out later from your embassy that you got canned from your job because you abandoned your position (if you're not a blogger).

Don't go unless you have deep pockets of cash. Not points. Not miles.
I guess you could cancel the credit card before they had a chance to authorise the additional nights stay. Not much the hotel could do if you reside in a different country (would be extremely costly to try and collect)
Old Mar 10, 2020, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by s0ssos
I'm not sure about that either. On the wikipedia page it lists:
The definition of "extraordinary circumstances" will be further clarified to include natural disasters or air traffic control strikes, and to exclude technical problems identified during routine maintenance
Originally Posted by Annalisa12
Because you don't want to be there. Why should the hotel make a profit forcing you to stay there.
I think most would only charge a "cost" rate.

Originally Posted by jmastron
This is the distinction as I see it:

If *I* break a leg or get sick and *I* have to stay in a place for longer than planned, then of course I expect to pay, potentially via whatever insurances I carry to cover things that happen to me.

If the *entire hotel* is locked down and I am prevented from leaving because the hotel allowed an infectious disease on site (which may or may not be their fault/negligence, but certainly isn't mine), there is a 0% chance I will pay the hotel extra.

Yes, there were posts (perhaps joking, was hard to tell) at the beginning wondering what rate the Diamond Princess passengers would be charged for their quarantine. Of course that was a ridiculous idea too, and Princess not only didn't charge extra, but refunded the entire cruise (which had been mostly complete by that point). A hotel that tried to do the same would be (rightfully) widely roasted on social media and probably in court.
Yes PR wise, bad move. Legally though it's a sound move

Originally Posted by ft101
The "extraordinary circumstances" get out will remove any right to compensation, but it doesn't remove the duty of care obligation.

Whether it's applicable here is another issue.
Incorrect . Duty of care ALWAYS applies under EC261. The stated exclusions are in regard to compensation. However I dont think EC261 applies here. The flight is still operating , the airline isnt refusing carriage, the government is the preventing you from even getting to airport.

Originally Posted by Stickboy46
It's simple if you are not allowed to leave, you don't pay. The entity is on the hook for paying is the one requiring the lockdown. The hotel takes it up with the government after it's all over.

If it's on lockdown, they aren't making money from that room whether you stay or not so really it comes down to costs. You minimize costs.. eliminate extra amenities during the lock down if needed. Cut back housekeeping if needed. Cut back free food etc
Legally you are the one on the hook to pay hotel if government doesn't. Absent a law saying the government assumes the liability, the liability is yours. I don't agree with government not paying, but that is a governmental decision.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 5:19 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Another question here is what rate the hotel "can" charge (on the scale of "basement discount" to "nosebleed walk-up")...for example, if a hotel was going for $125/night at booking but they try to hit you for $399/night for a lock-in...
SamirD likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Couple of hotels in Maldives on lockdown! The news article states that the hotel has closed all activities and food is being rationed. I wonder what the guests will have to pay.
SamirD likes this.

Last edited by onlysuites; Mar 10, 2020 at 5:51 pm
Old Mar 10, 2020, 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO
I think most would only charge a "cost" rate.

Yes PR wise, bad move. Legally though it's a sound move

Incorrect . Duty of care ALWAYS applies under EC261. The stated exclusions are in regard to compensation. However I dont think EC261 applies here. The flight is still operating , the airline isnt refusing carriage, the government is the preventing you from even getting to airport.

Legally you are the one on the hook to pay hotel if government doesn't. Absent a law saying the government assumes the liability, the liability is yours. I don't agree with government not paying, but that is a governmental decision.
That depends on the country im sure. If I'm not allowed to leave, I'm not paying. Simple as that. It can go to court.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 9:07 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by onlysuites
Couple of hotels in Maldives on lockdown! The news article states that the hotel has closed all activities and food is being rationed. I wonder what the guests will have to pay.
I'm in the Maldives right now. Sadly the St. Regis is not in lockdown so I guess I'll have to leave. Can someone please get Coronavirus here in the next couple days?
Old Mar 11, 2020, 5:45 am

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Incorrect . Duty of care ALWAYS applies under EC261. The stated exclusions are in regard to compensation . . . .
That's what I said so what makes it incorrect?
Old Mar 11, 2020, 8:21 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Sort-of answering my own question, at least within the US I'd expect to fight back against any attempt to charge that exceeded the government rate (on the theory that, in so many words, I wasn't "on my own reservation" so much as it was a government-commandeered room that I was being housed in) presuming that the hotel accepted said rate (and I would probably push for that even if they didn't). Below that it would get stickier (I'd probably push back against a "high season" government rate as well). Mind you, I don't travel much outside of North America, Europe, and Australia/New Zealand (my time elsewhere, in my lifetime, consists of one night in Bangkok Singapore, one afternoon in Hong Kong, and depending on one's definitions three trips to the Cayman Islands for vacations over the years).

(Mind you, I'd probably also be looking at how to milk the situation in terms of a chain's award program if I'm at a chain. Put a different way, if I've just had to spend two weeks at your hotel, I'd like to knock that off of my end-of-year/lifetime status chase requirements.)
Old Mar 11, 2020, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by helvetic
I'm in the Maldives right now. Sadly the St. Regis is not in lockdown so I guess I'll have to leave. Can someone please get Coronavirus here in the next couple days?
Hoping to be a test case for the group?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.