Copa and PTY

Old Oct 14, 15, 9:46 am
Original Poster

Copa and PTY

Does anyone know who is going to occupy the new south terminal when it opens at pty? Whenever that is? Possibly the the current one star alliance and the south terminal the others? But Copa codeshares with a few non alliance partners. Or the south terminal for USA only? Downside of that is a lot of people have to change terminals and the tight connections will no longer work.

20 gates and space for the big planes to land.

Also any plans to open another lounge?
Old Oct 15, 15, 11:06 pm

Programs: UA Gold, CM nada
I fly out of PTY and I wish I knew. Another frequent flyer once commented that it would be nice if PTY had converted that new north wing to be "US only" gates so that one could pass a convenient and efficient secondary security check for US flights (mind your liquids!) instead of suffering the ridiculous "gate re-check" process with the feeble rent-a-cops.

What is planned for the new south terminal, I don't know. I do know that they are constructing a pedestrian airside connection between the two terminals (south side of existing terminal to new terminal).
Old Oct 17, 15, 6:01 pm
Original Poster

Good to know there will be an airside link. Although it would be quite the walk from the far end of the terminal to the far end of the south terminal.

As a United club member the best way I see it is if another copa club gets built in the south terminal. Also flying in/out of pty I do not worry about connection but realize easy connections is what makes Copa and pty work.
Old Nov 14, 15, 9:41 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Passed through this week. Still very much under construction. Rough interior foundation structure seems complete, partial roof. But looks nice from a design point Not sure when its suppose to open, but my eyes say another year.. However, I am no expert in construction times. As to the user, I would surely think CM will occupy the space..
Old Nov 14, 15, 1:12 pm

Programs: LATAMPASS, Copa ConnectMiles Gold
Originally Posted by Flying Machine View Post
Passed through this week. Still very much under construction. Rough interior foundation structure seems complete, partial roof. But looks nice from a design point Not sure when its suppose to open, but my eyes say another year.. However, I am no expert in construction times. As to the user, I would surely think CM will occupy the space..
Just happened to read a story about the airport expansion in one of the Panama papers when I passed through there a week ago. Said they're looking at the new terminal being ready for 2017. So yeah, another full year of work ahead.
Old Nov 14, 15, 5:35 pm
Original Poster

Copa CE0 talked about 2017 as well in the earnings report. My guess is that Copa is too big or the the non star alliance airlines are too small for Copa to take over the new south terminal on their own.

Ideally its Star alliance/non star alliance or us/non us.
Old Nov 14, 15, 7:32 pm
Original Poster

Good news is with the closing Albrook Tocumen will gain as a domestic airport. For Copa Pty - DAV and would be nice pty - bocas del toro . Viva colombia already flies into the airport that albrook will move to.

I am hoping for more domestic feeder routes to pty. But doubt it.
Old Nov 20, 15, 3:54 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
A US only section would kinda make sense.

What would make more sense IMO is just having PTY adopt those standards. There's no reason to do the extra security check...except maybe intl connections?

I know in Colombia you can take liquids through security...but I'm not sure about INTL security, I've never tried.

Search this Thread