Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Copa | ConnectMiles
Reload this Page >

Is this normal for Copa Business Class (Clase Ejecutiva)?

Old Aug 23, 15, 5:34 pm
Original Poster

First time ever for my family of four to fly business class (never flown first either). Saved up enough credit card miles to splurge on ourselves.

Round Trip from Chicago to San Jose with ~50 minute connections in Panama City (did I say that right?)

There were a lot of nice things to say about the business class compared to economy, but what actually frustrated me was the meal service.

On the flight down, all four of us selected the steak option. When the meals were served, we were brought one steak and three raviolis without comment or explanation. After inquiring, we were told they were out of the steak. After some back and forth, we were offered the 'meat' option from the economy meal service. Unfortunately, the business class steak was really good and it kind of set the mood to only get one out of four ordered. We were in row 4, so our orders were taken last.

Then on the return flight, the same thing happened. Meal options were chicken or fish. This time they told us when ordering that they only had one chicken meal left. Myself and both kids simply don't like fish. My wife settled for the fish, I settled for the economy class chicken meal, and then the kids fought over who would get the business class chicken or economy class chicken (they are young). Even though we were in row 1 this time, we were the last to board in business class and hence, our orders were taken last again.

On the return flight, I think this is even worse because anyone who doesn't like fish will tell you, they tend to really not like fish. Even worse, there were only 8 people in the 16-seat business class section.

Another slap in the face was the soaking wet luggage we got in San Jose. Apparently, Copa doesn't cover your luggage when it's raining, and it really poured in Panama City during our connection.

Lastly, even though lounge access is supposed to come with business class, there was no lounge open for us in Chicago.

I also wanted to ask advice on which way to complain would be most fruitful in getting a response. I booked the tickets on United Airlines using Mileage Plus Miles. Should I send a complaint to United, Copa, or Both. I know some people can get miles from complaining about these types of experiences, but I didn't know if Copa would be more generous with their new miles program.
Old Aug 29, 15, 7:42 am

Programs: UA PP, CM Platinum
Par for the course...

Sorry for the frustration, especially with your family in tow.
So it has been my experience that meal choices do run out quickly and the order in which they are taken has a big impact on that. The amount of people in the cabin is redundant as it's been my experience that they only pack enough meals for those onboard, with no extras to better provide choices. For instance, once it was just myself and another gentleman in J and there was one of each. I got the fish since I was asked second. (serves me right for preferring window seats! )
As for customer service and complaints.... you can see other threads about that on here. I would not hold my breath for a reply and certainly not for compensation.
Old Sep 1, 15, 7:28 pm
Original Poster

Just wanted to share with the crowd. After complaining through United's website, they sent an apology email, then 4 $100 travel credits (1 for each of us).

I don't agree with how Copa runs the meal menu in Business. I understand not stocking extra meals for Economy Class, but Business Class isn't cheap and there aren't that many seats.

$400 for our next trip was more than I expected.
Old Nov 10, 15, 7:31 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
I was in 4F and the FA said "todays choices" is chicken. I said why don't you just say all we have left is chicken, rather than choices? Offered me a Y meal then I pressed and said I would really like fish, he had a resounding no. Guess what, I was served fish Kinda funny..
Old Nov 13, 15, 7:14 am

Programs: UA 1K, .7MM
Something similar happened to me the other day. I was in row 1 and the passenger next to me asked if I could change seats with her spouse who was in row 4. I didn't care so I switched. And of course... when they asked for my food order, there was only one left... the one I didn't want. I told the FA that I was originally in row 1 and that I should have gotten my option. He said that next time, as soon as I walk into the cabin, ask the FA what are the choices and let them know what you want. That way you get first dibs.
Old Nov 22, 15, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
On other airlines, when the option(s) is/are things I don't like, the FA's have always found something in y. They usually arrange to look perfectly fine for business and first.

Search this Thread