Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Copa | ConnectMiles
Reload this Page >

Copa and its new horrible Business Class seats

Old Nov 11, 15, 1:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Lm silver / MileagePlus / Aadvantage / Amex platinum / stargold points silver

I have purchased a business class ticket PTY-SAP when I have boarded the plane I notice that there is no business class, my surprise is that I asked the crew member and She told me rows 1 to 3 are business, guess what? those rows are on an embraer 190 economy class seat with more legroom, I felt that Copa stole money from me, I sent a complaint letter and Copa told me that business class is more than a seat its a compliment of benefits that I used, to me business class is a more confortable seat, now I know that PTY to SAP flight 503 is an embraer with 12 business class seats which are economy class seats with more legroom and food, have you tried this with Copa. I have flow business class withing europe which are economy seats with more legroom but at least they block the seat next to you.
Old Nov 11, 15, 4:35 pm

Programs: Free Agent
According to seatguru.com, Copa has 2 versions of E190. I've flown the real biz class on their E190 with the 1 seat on the left and 2 on the right. Although www.seatguru.com does not specifically give the seating chart for your flight PTY-SAP, my clue would have been when choosing seats online, there is no business class seats to choose. Maybe you were not able to choose the seat prior, and I understandly would have been equally as unpleasantly surprised. I didn't know until now that Copa has 2 versions of the E190. Even LAN's premium economy comes with the middle seat blocked, but on a 2-2 seating arrangment I guess that's not offered.
Old Nov 11, 15, 8:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG75K; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
They should refund the difference between Y and J. But Copa customer service is so horrible, that will probably be more trouble than it's worth.
Old Nov 11, 15, 8:11 pm

Programs: UA Gold, CM nada
I took that flight earlier this year. PTY-SAP was in a standard 190 with 10 in clase ejecutiva. For SAP-PTY I kept waiting for an upgrade notice and never got it. I was surprised when I boarded to see no first class. It was Copa Airlines Colombia metal (at least you get more pleasant colombian flight attendants).

Interestingly, trying to book that flight again, I see a scenario described above on the seat maps, with 3 rows of 2x2 for 1st class, with a separator from coach. Seat guru still shows the configuration I took. Row 5 starts on the starboard side, with row 6 starting behind the door.

I would say that touting those 3x2 seats as First Class is something of a ripoff. However, the title of this thread is a tad misleading. The seats only apply to a few shorter routes in some of the airline's E190s.
Old Nov 14, 15, 4:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Lm silver / MileagePlus / Aadvantage / Amex platinum / stargold points silver
I did contact Copa and asked for a refund but they told me that Clase Ejecutiva is more than a seat and thats the new business class. I asked for a compensation but they told me that I was not elegible to get anything.

Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
They should refund the difference between Y and J. But Copa customer service is so horrible, that will probably be more trouble than it's worth.
Old Nov 14, 15, 5:46 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Gold, United Premier Silver, Connect Miles Plat, Marriott Plat,
It's sold as business class and what you do get is business class treatment (metter meal, lounge access etc). The configuration of the aircraft, however, doesnt give you a very satisfying hard product. Calling it Y and asking for compensation is a bit far fetched in my opinion.

That said, I have come across this arrangement twice (on a PTY-POS-PTY) and I was very disappointed as well.
Old Nov 17, 15, 2:18 pm

Funny they would argue it's the business class treatment. When I flew business class from ORD to BOG (connection in PTY), I got no choice of meal, no open lounge in Chicago, and soaking wet luggage due to rain storm in Panama. But hey, I got a melted sundae out of the deal!!
Old Nov 18, 15, 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by gatzdon View Post
...and soaking wet luggage due to rain storm in Panama.
Putting aside the fact that a business class seat does not include good weather among the other benefits, if they had waited with unloading till the rain was over, it could have lasted for quite some time. I think that complaining about that is sort of unfair, especially considering the workers who also got soaked by getting the luggage out of the hold on time (connections!!!).

Last edited by KLouis; Nov 18, 15 at 9:41 pm
Old Nov 20, 15, 3:49 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
So is the determination that this is NEW?

I've flown a few of the E190s and they've always had J. Now as with all Copa flights (that I know of) that means there's just a recliner and food.

I quite like CM service, flown J only twice and both were short flights, but even in Y I like that you get food and drink even on short flights. I'm not sure I'd wanna take one of their longer haul flights but I'm very open to trying at some point when it makes sense financially.

Flying ORD-PTY in Dec in J, so I'm interested to see how that turns out.
Old Nov 20, 15, 4:06 pm

No indication this is a new standard but rather on a few flights marketed by Copa but operated by Copa Colombia, there are no J seats.
Old Nov 21, 15, 9:59 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG75K; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
OP, the CM website indicates the B version of the E190 has the normal Y seat, but 40" pitch in business class - considerably better than the 31" in Y. Is that correct?
Old Nov 21, 15, 10:43 am

Hmm, but those flights aren't restricted to Colombia clearly. This is odd, I guess you'd only be able to tell after seeing the seat map?

I'd hope they wouldn't sell it as J. Unless it's part of a bigger itinerary, they could sell it as mixed cabin.
Old Nov 21, 15, 2:08 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by drvannostren View Post
Hmm, but those flights aren't restricted to Colombia clearly.
Which raises the question, why is AeroRepublica operating the PTY-SAP flight?
Old Nov 22, 15, 8:00 am

Can't explain that.

To my knowledge all the PTY-MDE flights regardless of equipment have J seats. I would think the AeroRepublica planes would fly domestically since, lets be real, those flights don't need J. I see LOTS of empty J seats on Avianca domestically. The flights that are full in J I generally presume are elite upgrades, because the fares themselves are a joke and I can't see anyone or any company justifying them. Combined with longer haul, sure fine but when MDE-BOG is like $80 and business is $300 not even providing a meal, you're essentially just paying to get off first.
Old Nov 22, 15, 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
Which raises the question, why is AeroRepublica operating the PTY-SAP flight?
They do operate some CM routes. I flew on an AeroRepublica E90 on PTY-STI back in 2010.

Search this Thread