Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Using Copa RPUs on United

Search this Thread

Old Feb 29, 2016, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
This is huge! So the three free upgrades we got from Copa, are those GPUs or RPUs?
Old Feb 29, 2016, 10:24 am

Programs: UA Plat, Copa Pres. Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG LT Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by alanro
I just received an email from Copa this morning stating that "...the technology to use these certificates on United is now available" and extending the expiration date of the certificates to 12/31/2016.
Got the same email, looking forward to making use of it! ^
Old Feb 29, 2016, 11:25 am

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Turkish Gold, Copa Platinum, airberlin Gold
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
This is huge! So the three free upgrades we got from Copa, are those GPUs or RPUs?
If they matched to Platinum, they should be RPUs. Mine are.
In theory, they should show under your ConnectMiles account (assuming you can get into the site, it can be very slow sometimes).

From their email and regional map, I guess they can be used from the US to go as far as Oceania, which is nice.
Can't tell if they would be permitted on any of the lie-flat routes, though - doesn't United tend to restrict those? (Not real familiar with United these days)

Here's their regions link:
https://connectmiles.copaair.com/sit...yRegion_EN.pdf

Edit as of March 20 - vdostoi1 added the following correction to my post above, I did not properly understand how Copa distinguished between Global and Regional -this should clear that up:
"Just to be clear - you can use your RPU WITHIN a certain region but not to GO to a certain region. You cannot use an RPU, for instance, to go from EWR to GUM. Maybe that was not the intent of your post but it sounded like you were saying that. "

Last edited by Tychian; Mar 20, 2016 at 9:23 pm
Old Feb 29, 2016, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Tychian
If they matched to Platinum, they should be RPUs. Mine are.
In theory, they should show under your ConnectMiles account (assuming you can get into the site, it can be very slow sometimes).

From their email and regional map, I guess they can be used from the US to go as far as Oceania, which is nice.
Can't tell if they would be permitted on any of the lie-flat routes, though - doesn't United tend to restrict those? (Not real familiar with United these days)

Here's their regions link:
https://connectmiles.copaair.com/sit...yRegion_EN.pdf
I am assuming these are transferable like UA RPUs.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 5:05 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Anyone know if theres a limitation in segments or if its directional like UA certs?
Old Feb 29, 2016, 8:01 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Turkish Gold, Copa Platinum, airberlin Gold
Originally Posted by keitherson
Anyone know if theres a limitation in segments or if its directional like UA certs?
From what I read on their site, it's one cert per segment.
Not sure on the transferability - their site doesn't really seem complete in terms of documentation.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 10:14 pm

Programs: UA MM, AS MVP Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by EWR764
The functionality is alive and it works... but it is a fairly involved process. As noted, the fare/region restrictions for UA RPU/GPU are the same.

I spoke with a Copa supervisor who took my United record locator and eticket number. Only one passenger can be upgraded at a time, so PNRs with multiple pax must be split. The process is manual but does appear to require supervisor-level assistance at Copa and calls to United to verify inventory.

Copa will not accept fees on United tickets, so once the upgrades are processed on Copa's end, call United to make sure your ticket is in sync, especially if the upgrade triggers an add/collect (e.g. departing the UK).

It took some time but the PNRs appear to be cleaned up and upgrades confirmed. Next question is whether it is possible to waitlist with a Copa RPU/GPU, or whether they must confirm into R.

Anyway, big ^. Major benefit that was not of much use on CM metal.
From what I was told, Copa can't put you on the upgrade waitlist, but can only confirm you on flights with R inventory available at the time you call.
Old Mar 1, 2016, 8:28 am

Has anybody been able to apply a COPA GPU on United operated flight when R space was available? So far the reports have been of COPA Regional upgrades.
Old Mar 4, 2016, 6:53 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by Aries123
Has anybody been able to apply a COPA GPU on United operated flight when R space was available? So far the reports have been of COPA Regional upgrades.
Yes. Mine was a GPU on a longhaul UA flight.
Old Mar 4, 2016, 7:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Yes. Mine was a GPU on a longhaul UA flight.
Thanks for the report. Very useful information!
Old Mar 4, 2016, 8:41 am

Programs: DL FO
anyone know if Copa is enforcing these fare class restrictions or if the RPU restrictions are instead the same as UA?

- Connect Regional Upgrades are not valid on the following classes on Copa Airlines and Copa Airlines Colombia-operated flights: L and T.
- Connect Regional Upgrades are not valid on the following classes on United-operated flights: Z, P, S, T, K, L, G and N.
Old Mar 4, 2016, 12:10 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by hoth300
anyone know if Copa is enforcing these fare class restrictions or if the RPU restrictions are instead the same as UA?
The restriction will be embedded in the instrument. You're not going to get around it.
Old Mar 4, 2016, 12:39 pm

Programs: DL FO
The functionality is alive and it works... but it is a fairly involved process. As noted, the fare/region restrictions for UA RPU/GPU are the same.
Originally Posted by Kacee
The restriction will be embedded in the instrument. You're not going to get around it.
I'm wondering if anyone has experience using a Copa RPU on a United Z, P, S, T, K, L, G fare since UA allows RPUs to be used on these fares. Pretty different if RPUs require the same minimum fare class (W) as a GPU.
Old Mar 5, 2016, 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by hoth300
I'm wondering if anyone has experience using a Copa RPU on a United Z, P, S, T, K, L, G fare since UA allows RPUs to be used on these fares. Pretty different if RPUs require the same minimum fare class (W) as a GPU.
That's a fair question. But I'm skeptical, as I do believe the restrictions are embedded in the instruments.
Old Mar 5, 2016, 7:17 pm

Programs: AA EP, CM PP, AV GM, UA Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by Aries123
I successfully used three CM GPUs this week on three UA itineraries. ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.