Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Copa | ConnectMiles
Reload this Page >

Copa: Complimentary Upgrade Experiences under ConnectMiles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Copa: Complimentary Upgrade Experiences under ConnectMiles

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2016, 1:24 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by pmarrsouth
You have vastly confused what the quoted poster is referring to. The answer to his question is "Yes".

What vouchers are you talking about? I have been CPUd on every Copa flight I have taken apart from 1, which was a last minute booking where F was already full. I normally buy tickets a couple of months in advance to take advantage of their promo fares (L, etc class), never not been upgraded with them
The three upgrade vouchers issued for Platinum members. We were talking about United flights.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 8:53 pm

Programs: AA EP, CM PP, AV GM, UA Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Accor Plat
I'm 100% as PP on the 14 flights I have taken since ConnectMiles started. Also seured an airport upgrade for an employee who shared one segment on a separate PNR to a different destination. Between PTY and MCO, I was the only passenger one way, and one of only two the other.

They still have truckloads of IT problems, though. I'm sure my unlucky day will come. Flying to/from LAS next week and to/from MCO next month. It all looks good on the screen, but... We are talking Copa IT here.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 3:46 pm

Programs: UA Explorer card, AA Plat, Copa Plat, IHG Plat,
8 for 8 for me

I am 8 for 8 so far as a plat and 4 for 4 when my son was with he. His upgrades cleared with no problem
Old Jan 20, 2016, 8:43 pm

Programs: UA
2015 results

For calendar year 2015, I was MileagePlus 1K, then matched to PresidentialPlatinum on ConnectMiles.

I was 10 out of 10 post-ConnectMiles separation. In total, I was 18 out of 19. I lost out on LAX-PTY. This included longer flights to GRU and ASU.

I also flew a E190 SAP-PTY with a single cabin.

There are many complaints about Copa IT systems, and I generally agree. However, I have to say that whenever I book my own simple round-trip flights on their website, after logging in with my FF #, I have had no problems with seat assignments and check-ins and upgrades and miles allocations. On the other hand, anytime I've hand anything more complicated than simple roundtrips booked online, yes, sometimes things tend to go haywire.
Old Jan 25, 2016, 6:15 am

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, SAS Eurobonus Silver, Connect Miles Gold, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hyatt Disc.
I'm hopping up to GUA tomorrow and back to PTY Thursday.

Got upgraded on both segments already.

100% complementary upgrade hit rate so far.
Old Jan 25, 2016, 12:23 pm

Yep. For revenue flights chances are almost always good to great.

For award flights, since November they are enforcing the rules. Especially from PTY, only upgrading if you are flying on a "G" fare. The fare of the award using "Standard" miles (more expensive).

For "Saver awards"...they can now deny you outright. Even if J is empty. Regardless of status.
Old Jan 28, 2016, 6:33 am

Programs: AA
I'm Copa Silver and will traveling with wife + 1 lap child on one ticket. Will only I be considered for an upgrade or would they consider the entire group? If only one seat is available, will I get upgraded or they would only upgrade if two seats are available?
Old Jan 28, 2016, 7:41 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by soriano
I'm Copa Silver and will traveling with wife + 1 lap child on one ticket. Will only I be considered for an upgrade or would they consider the entire group? If only one seat is available, will I get upgraded or they would only upgrade if two seats are available?
In my experience, flying with others on your PNR will prevent you from an automatic upgrade at T-whatever based on your status. I have never gotten an automatic upgrade in these cases, but I have scored at-the-gate upgrades for me and my companion before, after check-in at the counter and specifically requesting such from the agent. For comparison, United will automatically split me from family members and upgrade me; I haven't experienced that on Copa.

I think you should call Copa and go through the options related to splitting the ticket and whether you want to risk traveling alone in clase ejecutivo, etc.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 6:58 am

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, SAS Eurobonus Silver, Connect Miles Gold, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hyatt Disc.
Another short hop in Central America this week (PTY-TGU/SAP-PTY) and complementary upgrades on both flights again.
I maintain 100% upgrade rate under ConnectMiles.

Let's see for SJO next week...
Old Feb 16, 2016, 7:43 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, CM Presidential / *A Gold, Hertz 5*
PTY-MCO tomorrow and upgraded at the 48 hour mark. 6 seats open and I believe that there are just 2 other elites on the flight (2x gold), so hopefully the gf will get the usual companion upgrade without issue at the gate - currently 10/16 booked

EDIT - just checked COPA site and now only 8/16 booked

---

EDIT 2 - gf cleared without issue. Was #1 on the list and cleared an hour before departure, as usual. Then the rest instantly filled with non revs. First time the person at check in desk has proactively asked if we want her on the upgrade list, I have always had to ask until now. Now if only they come up with the way to seat us together automatically when she upgrades, rather than having to ask one of the people sitting beside us if they could swap

Last edited by pmarrsouth; Feb 17, 2016 at 5:39 am
Old Feb 21, 2016, 12:28 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, CM Presidential / *A Gold, Hertz 5*
And both upgraded on the way back. Myself 2 morning ago and the gf about 30 minutes ago
Old Feb 24, 2016, 9:59 pm

Using Copa RPU's

Is "I" the correct fare code for upgrade to Business on Copa flights using RPU's?

I see "I" space on EF and UA but agents keep saying nothing is available. And the online upgrade request form keeps saying "success" but nothing really happens.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 4:09 pm

Last week it happened for the first time since the inception that I was not upgraded to business.
I was on a E190 from SJO to PTY, that was packed in J. All seats sold to revenue passengers, so despite being no 1 on the upgrade list, no upgrade was available.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 9:18 pm

Programs: AA EP, CM PP, AV GM, UA Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by Milkman
Last week it happened for the first time since the inception that I was not upgraded to business.
I was on a E190 from SJO to PTY, that was packed in J. All seats sold to revenue passengers, so despite being no 1 on the upgrade list, no upgrade was available.
Flights between PTY & SJO are the most likely I have found within Latin America for a CPU to be missed. Actually, it's the only route I have personally missed, and it has happened on a handful of occasions. Those misses weren't limited to 190s, either. I've missed it on a couple of 737s.

Those flights seem to have a high number of North Americans flying to/from SJO. My theory is that many (like me) prefer a PTY connection to IAH, MIA, ATL and even SAL. There are also quite a few Latin American FFers who prefer to connect at PTY vs. BOG.

The good news is that it is a very short flight. Even a cabin snob like me can survive it.

On another note, my last trip to MCO used the 737-800s with the new seats in both directions. The FA on the way up told me that there had been a swap, so I shouldn't expect it. Having heard that, I was even more pleasantly surprised to board the same type of aircraft a week later on my return. And yes, flying from MDE I was CPUed on all 4 segments.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 10:10 pm

PTY-MCO has 2 new and 2 old 800s per day now it seems. I generally target these flights (first flight in morning from PTY, last flight in the day from MCO).

I have been disappointed with a swap just once on this route (taken about 10 legs worth) when the plane was swapped the morning of - to a 700! Myself and the 2 (deadheading?) pilots had it to ourselves though

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.