Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Copa | ConnectMiles
Reload this Page >

Copa: Complimentary Upgrade Experiences under ConnectMiles

Old Jul 27, 15, 7:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LATAMPASS, Copa ConnectMiles Gold

Have my first trip with Copa under the new ConnectMiles program on Thursday.

I'm curious, for those who have flown Copa since July 1, how has everyone else found the new system to work when it comes to complimentary upgrades? Are you getting automatic e-mail notices?

As a new Platinum member, I should have received an upgrade notice today (72 hrs in advance) for my MEX-PTY flight, but didn't receive anything. I checked the flight availability on ExpertFlyer, and looks like it should be fine -- I see business availability as C6 J6 D6 today. And on the business class seat map, just 1 of 16 seats is occupied.

Also, the seat map shows economy class at just 1/3 full, and none of the first three economy rows, dedicated to Prefer members, are occupied. (Copa.com would not even allow me to select a seat in these rows.)

I spoke with an agent this evening, and she said her system isn't showing any space in their "upgrade class" ('Z', I believe?). When I look at EF, I see Z listed as "zero" across the board in every single Copa flight I looked at. Hmmm.

It occurred to me that it could simply be them dealing with "bugs" in the system in these early days of the new ConnectMiles program.

Last edited by DarrenChannel; Jul 27, 15 at 7:40 pm
Old Jul 27, 15, 7:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG75K; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Let us know how this turns out!

Originally Posted by DarrenChannel View Post
When I look at EF, I see Z listed as "zero" across the board in every single Copa flight I looked at. Hmmm.
The fine print in the ConnectMiles terms and conditions says they don't have to upgrade elites into empty J seats:

Upgrades are subject to the availability on upgrade class (Z) and are not necessarily tied to actual capacity of the Business Class.

So they're basically reserving the right to send the flight out with 15 open J seats and a load of elites stuck in Y. Although I doubt that's the intent.
Old Jul 28, 15, 10:59 am

But DarrenChannel, glad to hear you finally got your match!
Old Jul 28, 15, 11:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Viajero Millero View Post
But DarrenChannel, glad to hear you finally got your match!
Thanks! Finally came through.

I'm not worried about getting an upgrade on my flights Thurs -- both still look almost completely empty in biz. I'm just mostly curious to see how the system is working in these early days of the new program. And upgrade or not, at least I'll get the 75% bonus miles and lounge access regardless.
Old Jul 28, 15, 12:00 pm
Original Poster

Update: Now under 48 hours before my flight, I haven't gotten an email notification about the upgrade, but when I just went in to Copa.com to check my reservation, suddenly my assigned economy seat disappeared, and it's now showing my MEX-PTY flight as 'Z' class, so I guess that means an upgrade. (And EF has also changed to C5 J5 D5 from C6 J6 D6.)

The three remaining segments of the trip are still showing "Promo (L)" under the fare class.

Edit: The email notice arrived, about 30 min later.

Last edited by DarrenChannel; Jul 28, 15 at 1:32 pm
Old Jul 28, 15, 9:46 pm

Programs: VA Plat, NZ Jade
Hi

How long did it take to get status match?
Old Jul 29, 15, 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by johnnyfive View Post
Hi

How long did it take to get status match?
Anywhere within 12 and 72 hours. You can read more experiences in the last few pages over here.

Anybody able to upgrade award redemptions with their ConnectMiles # yet?
Old Jul 30, 15, 12:06 pm

Programs: UA PP, CM Platinum
I haven't received e-mail confirmations about the upgrades like I used to when it was MP but I have been upgraded every time since July 1 (8 flights). I think it's more of a IT bug issue for which Copa is notorious.
Old Jul 30, 15, 9:33 pm
Original Poster

Got the upgrades for both of my flights today (MEX-PTY, PTY-MDE). So, as a Platinum member, I got my email notifications about 40 hours in advance of each respective segment.

MEX-PTY looked fairly empty in biz even 24 hours out, but all 16 seats were filled. PTY-MDE ended up with 8 of 12 biz seats occupied. Didn't check the back of the plane to see how full they were though.

Speaking of MDE, has anyone used the new(ish) Copa Club there? Any idea what time they open? Am on the 6:59 am departure Monday (to PTY). Their first flight of the day is 5:23 am, so would assume they'll be open by then.
Old Aug 5, 15, 8:59 am
Original Poster

4/4 on upgrades on my first trip under ConnectMiles. Notification for the final two segments also arrived ~40 hours ahead of departure time.
Old Aug 5, 15, 2:24 pm

Nice! Good to hear. Just curious, what fare code was your original booking in?
Old Aug 5, 15, 3:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Viajero Millero View Post
Nice! Good to hear. Just curious, what fare code was your original booking in?
My flights were L fare class (economy promo). So, to be able to get complimentary upgrades even when buying the cheapest fare available (unlike LAN and others who require a higher fare class), it was a great deal!
Old Nov 3, 15, 10:12 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
I received an email and upgrade at about the 72 hour window this week. Thanks Copa
Old Nov 7, 15, 3:26 am

Programs: Free agent
The three upgrade vouchers received with Copa Platinum Status, can those be used on UA flights?
Old Nov 7, 15, 6:13 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by miamiflyer8 View Post
The three upgrade vouchers received with Copa Platinum Status, can those be used on UA flights?
From what have read, yes. However, on very specific fare classes. That part of the program is suppose to roll out in Q1 2016 from what I understand. Safe Travels

Search this Thread