Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

At the gate 17 minutes before departure, refused boarding

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

At the gate 17 minutes before departure, refused boarding

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2009, 3:19 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Problem here as I see it, no way to prove arrival time at the gate (with an OLCI boarding pass).
Old Jan 26, 2009, 3:21 pm
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by cova
Problem here as I see it, no way to prove arrival time at the gate (with an OLCI boarding pass).
I'm sure CO has some sort of system that tells them at what time the GA took me off the flight and when my new BP was printed.
Old Jan 26, 2009, 3:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by cova
I think the aforementioned camera-phone trick should suffice, especially if done right in front of the GA so they can see it.
Old Jan 26, 2009, 3:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bocastephen
I think the aforementioned camera-phone trick should suffice, especially if done right in front of the GA so they can see it.
The BB 8800 series unfortunately doesn't have a camera
Old Jan 26, 2009, 3:28 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by tommy777
I'm sure CO has some sort of system that tells them at what time the GA took me off the flight and when my new BP was printed.
The new boarding pass would not prove it, since it was likely printed after time anyway. But the time you were taken off might be available - at least the time that the person assigned to your seat got that seat.

Not clear about how much data is stored in the reservation about checkin, and printing boarding pass times. Maybe someone more in the know can let us know what is stored in the computer in this regard.
Old Jan 26, 2009, 3:32 pm

Programs: Alas, the Gravy Train Hath Ended...just happy to be an OW Sapphire and a ST Ivory...whatever
SEA-IAH-ORD
May I ask why you were flying CO on this route? Seems a bit out of the way, unless you're on a MR or a diehard like me.
Old Jan 26, 2009, 3:56 pm

Programs: UA-1K w/2MM & lifetime U-Club; Marriott-Lifetime Titanium; IHG-Diamond; National-Exec. Elite
I had something VERY similar happen to me with NW in DTW. My NW EWR-DTW flight was delayed because of a mechanical. When it was eventually canceled, I ran out to the counter and asked to be put on the next CO EWR-DTW. I arrived in DTW with 45 minutes to connect to LBE (original connection was over 3 hours). I got the gate 20 minutes before departure and saw the door closed and the jetway moving away from the plane.

When the GA came out, I showed my Platinum card and told her that since I was present within 15 minutes, she had to let me board. She said my original flight was canceled so I was expected to be a no-show for the connecting flight and since everyone was boarded, they were leaving early. When I explained how I had changed to CO for my first flight, she called the captain, repositioned the jetbridge, opened the door, and let me board.

I think in my case, NW got right in DTW what CO got wrong for you in SEA. Sorry you had a tough travel day.
Old Jan 26, 2009, 4:03 pm

...After arriving at the airport half an hour before departure...
While I have no problem in making companies adhere to the technicalities of their rules (given that you can prove your case), I have to say that arriving to the airport 30 mins before departure was a severe rookie move that didn't help your situation. Is that normal for you, or just running late?

Gotta stack the deck in your favor when it comes to flying and 30 mins is not early enough.
Old Jan 26, 2009, 4:05 pm

Programs: Flying Nut
Wouldn't the time that the manifest is printed be in the system?

Also, what about getting the compasionate GA to write the time that you arrived at the gate?

Also the GA admits you were at the gate 1 minute past the 15 minutes and the flight left at 6:06 pm. with this in mind it tells me that the flight was buttoned up well before the time that it should have been. I think it is reasonable to get 1 person on the plane without delaying the plane. I would go through normal means and report this concern and see where it gets you.
Old Jan 26, 2009, 4:52 pm

That is correct. Almost everything thing we do is documented in the history of the flight.
Old Jan 26, 2009, 4:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pptp
While I have no problem in making companies adhere to the technicalities of their rules (given that you can prove your case), I have to say that arriving to the airport 30 mins before departure was a severe rookie move that didn't help your situation. Is that normal for you, or just running late?

Gotta stack the deck in your favor when it comes to flying and 30 mins is not early enough.
He he... Yepp, I was running a little late, it was closer than I would like it to be. But SEA is usually a breeze and it was this time as well. From Hertz in the basement to the gate took a little less than 15 minutes. And I wasn't even running, just hurrying a little bit.

I have missed two flights in my entire life from an originating airport. The first time was in 98, I was pulled over on my way to TRD and was given a big fat ticket and the cop took his sweet time writing/checking if the car was stolen etc etc. I was there at the exact time the flight was supposed to leave and saw the plane pull away.

This was the second time, but since I travel every week, I have heard GAs make "Final calls" thousands of times, but this morning, the GA had decided that I was probably not going to show earlier than 17 minutes before departure, so even if I admit that after a fun night out, it's besides the point, cause I was at the gate before the cut off.

Originally Posted by theblakefish
May I ask why you were flying CO on this route? Seems a bit out of the way, unless you're on a MR or a diehard like me.
I had a few hours stop scheduled at IAH on the way to SEA to visit my friend that works for CO. We were planning on doing some flying on Thursday and then head up to SEA in the afternoon with xyzzy and another FTer who were on the IAH-SEA flight.

Also, price and avoiding UA/AA was a part of the decision.
Old Jan 26, 2009, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: AA Plat / UA NOTHING / Alaska 75K / Hyatt Diamond / SPG LT Plat / Marriott Gold / Priority Club Plat / Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by craz
id say IDB! that is unless the GA put down you showed up say T-12 instead of T-17 and then youd have to fight it out.
I agree with the above. However, I would never plan on showing up at any airport 30 prior to flight. But that's just me and doesn't bear on how the OP was denied boarding.
Old Jan 26, 2009, 4:55 pm

We have two departure times. Currently the posted departure time, on the PDA site, is when the plane pushes back from the gate. The other departure time, which is recorded on another site, is when all aircraft doors (including cargo) are closed.
Old Jan 26, 2009, 4:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sfogate
That is correct. Almost everything thing we do is documented in the history of the flight.
Thanks! Then I'm very confident CO will do the right thing.
Old Jan 26, 2009, 5:34 pm

Programs: CO PLT, HH DIA
Originally Posted by theblakefish
Same way I've done it the last three times I have ben throuh SEA on a paid ticket. (Did it once last year on an award ticket ORD-SEA on AS)

When you are committed to an airline, you accept certain inconveniences. It's worth it to me to always have a connection to fly the best domestic service in the country.

--PP

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.