Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

At the gate 17 minutes before departure, refused boarding

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

At the gate 17 minutes before departure, refused boarding

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2009, 12:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Boston_Bulldog
Geez, crybaby -- let me get my violin out and set this big life-and-death-
whine to music ... GET OVER IT ALREADY ! Move on with your life!...
Yet another completely unhelpful, snarky, and rabid post. Honestly, why bother? Try some kava tea, it helps.

OP - you were in the right, and I'm sure appropriate compensation will be forthcoming. If the contract of carriage says I must be on board or in line to board 15 minutes before departure, and I show up at the gate to board 16 minutes before departure, my seat better be there, or I expect IDB.

End of Discussion.
Old Feb 15, 2009, 12:02 pm

Programs: Delta PM/3MM/FC Marriott Platinum
The thing that I don't get here is that although they had given the OP's first class seat away, the plane was not full. They still could've gotten him on the flight, and he would have made his connection in Houston.

Why, at the very least, did they refuse to board him? At the very least, get the man on the plane!!

AG
Old Feb 15, 2009, 1:24 pm

Programs: DL MM/FC/FO; UA PS; AA GLD
Geez, crybaby -- let me get my violin out and set this big life-and-death-
whine to music ... GET OVER IT ALREADY ! Move on with your life!

Obama at the White House? I'm sure either will just shrug their shoulder
and say "sorry" -- AND that you willl NOT get any other satisfaction
than the 5,000 miles you were offered and rejected.
Any idiot knows that today you need to be AT THE GATE at least 30 minutes
not 15, not 17, not 20 minutes BEFORE your flight to be assured of getting
boarded.

Go on and complain to the DOT if you want, or gee, why not call

PLATS are special nothing today. There are THOUSANDS of whining
cry-baby primos... maybe you think you're 'special' because of your
FT status?

That and $5 will get you your Starbucks latte, but you BETTER HAVE
THE $5.00 !

Welcome to the facts of life regarding the NEW DAYS OF FLYING and
trying to outcry CRY, CRY, CRY, the other primos at the gate
whining on and on and on about much ado about nothing ....

You got put on the NEXT flight,. That's ALL you're entitled to. Period.

Don't lijke it? DON'T FLY. Take the Greyhound.

END OF DISCUSSION.
What grade are you in? Tenth? That would explain the sophomoric post.

There is really nothing to discuss about the gate agent's closing the flight early. The cut-off is T-15. The OP was there at T-17. The "upgrading" to FC just added insult to injury, IMO.
Old Feb 15, 2009, 2:14 pm
Suspended

CO cant have its cake and eat it too

If I showed up 2 mins late I can be denied boarding or even check-in. heck try showing up and checking in a bag after the computer closed the flight but yet its 25 mins till flight time and an easy walk to the gate. SOL my friends

So too if CO has min times that they will apply against us then it should apply to them as well. The OP was off loaded T-18 thats 3 mins too early and should never have been!, even if the GA could clearly see there was no one in sight, no problem getting everything ready to actually do it at T-15 but Nothing should have been done till then.
Old Feb 15, 2009, 5:06 pm

Programs: Continental, United, AA
Originally Posted by bocastephen
OP - you were in the right, and I'm sure appropriate compensation will be forthcoming. If the contract of carriage says I must be on board or in line to board 15 minutes before departure, and I show up at the gate to board 16 minutes before departure, my seat better be there, or I expect IDB.
+1

This isn't something a customer should have to prove with independent evidence. The OP is a Plat and as such likely provides CO with a steady revenue stream. What ever happened to "the customer is always right"? In any event, there is a notation that supports the OP's assertion about timing and that the GA did not follow S.O.P. and closed out the flight too early. To the extent CO wants independent evidence or verification of the OP's story, that's about as close as it will get. I'm sure this will be resolved, but it might take a little more time and effort.
Old Feb 15, 2009, 8:21 pm

Programs: UA 1k MM;*A Lifetime Gold; Marriott Lifetime Platinum; HiltonHonors Gold. Hyatt Globalist
calling last boarding at T-25

I flew from EWR-ORD today on the 4:45pm flight. Through no fault of my own I arrived quite late at the airport (3:55pm) and was horrified to see a massive line to check in at Elite, so ran to non-elite and managed to get my bag checked by 4:12pm. (I always check my bag because I am a shortie and have difficulty lifting it into the overheads!) As I have been following this thread, I was very acutely aware of the need to be at the podium in good time!!!

Ran upstairs to go through security, begged and pleaded my way to the front of the security line (grateful thanks to all those passengers who graciously allowed me to cut the line) and as I started walking quickly to the gate (C94) I heard the last call being made and the GA saying all remaining passengers needed to be at the podium within 1 minute or they would be denied boarding. This was at 4:20pm

I pretty much killed myself running to the gate, and boarded, only to sit there and wait as people continued boarding up until about 5 minutes before departure time.

Man was I ticked off. Especially as I am doing a pretty good impression of Typhoid Mary today (heavy cold, yuck!) and I just about gave myself a ruptured lung trying to breathe and run at the same time.

Oh yes! I send my sincerest apologies to the unlucky flyer sitting next to me in 4A. Sorry you had to sit next to Typhoid Mary, but at least I had the courtesy to sniffle, cough and sneeze under cover of my blankie in an attempt not to spread the bug!
Old Feb 15, 2009, 8:23 pm

Programs: UA 1k MM;*A Lifetime Gold; Marriott Lifetime Platinum; HiltonHonors Gold. Hyatt Globalist
addendum to above

by the way, I had an upgrade into First and didn't want to lose it either ...!!!

3/3 upgrades so far this year!
Old Feb 16, 2009, 7:17 am

Programs: UA AU MM,HH Diamond,Hyatt Globalist , Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by sushibear
What grade are you in? Tenth? That would explain the sophomoric post.
That made me laugh.
Old Feb 16, 2009, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Under the Liberty Visual to 27L at PHL. Stranger in a strange land - a Devils fan in Flyers country.
Programs: PWP Le Chancelier des Clefs d'Or || Sarcasm, Anti-Stupidity, Obscure References top tier member.
Originally Posted by glcarter
No need - I am already tender enough...
^^^
Old Feb 16, 2009, 8:01 am

Programs: AA Gold, Alaska MVP; Free Agent Super Duper Diamond Treasure Chest ;)
END OF DISCUSSION.
Brilliannt. Hope thats the end of this discussion from your side.

Old Feb 16, 2009, 8:52 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, United LT Silver
Originally Posted by J-FLyer
+1

This isn't something a customer should have to prove with independent evidence. The OP is a Plat and as such likely provides CO with a steady revenue stream. What ever happened to "the customer is always right"? In any event, there is a notation that supports the OP's assertion about timing and that the GA did not follow S.O.P. and closed out the flight too early. To the extent CO wants independent evidence or verification of the OP's story, that's about as close as it will get. I'm sure this will be resolved, but it might take a little more time and effort.
+2

No matter if this whole thing seems trivial to some people, the bottom line is the customer, a seemingly top customer, was there on time with 2 minutes to spare. The customer's word should be taken and a supervisor should have called him long ago to discuss the situation and negotiate an offer. It's not that hard.

In these unsettling times for the airlines, CO should be doing everything they can to provide world-class customer service. There are so many little things they can do that do not cost much (or anything) that can go a long way to making your customers happier. The promise of a callback that never comes is one of my biggest pet peeves. And it happens so frequently (not just with CO). It's a surefire way to piss off even more an already upset customer.

Also, going back to COInsider's post, one thing that bothered me that no one else seemed to mention is where they get their time. To use an internal clock that customers do not have access to seems wrong. Is the CO time displayed anywhere, like at the podium for ones that have monitors? If not, then the airport time should be used.

As others have mentioned, 15 minutes is the policy, so CO needs to stick to it. Chiding the passenger for arriving at the last minute is both childish and irrelevant. He was on time. The reason for showing up at the last minute doesn't matter. I can bet that just about everyone here has shown up late at the gate at least once, either from arriving late at the airport or due to a connection.

I would expect more from CO with this case, even if it is not fully what tommy777 wants. Some type of compromise could be made. In general, I tend to agree with Bonehead about letting things like this go and picking your battles. However, given the poor respones from CO, I don't blame him for pushing on. Perhaps CO can learn from other organizations, like zappos.com or others, who have figured out how to provide top notch customer service.
Old Feb 17, 2009, 2:49 pm
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

All,

Thank you so much for all your feedback in this thread.

I was contacted by our friend Mr. Scott O'Leary today who explained closer to me what happened at Continental's end.

I understand how difficult and sensitive this situation has been and as I suspected, this does not happen a lot. I have never experienced anything close to this before.

He gave me an offer, I accepted and we are now one big, happy family again.

PS! We agreed not to post our settlement here.

I'm glad I have Flyertalk and know Scott, if not, this would not have been resolved and ended up with a voucher and 5000 miles
Old Feb 17, 2009, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Under the Liberty Visual to 27L at PHL. Stranger in a strange land - a Devils fan in Flyers country.
Programs: PWP Le Chancelier des Clefs d'Or || Sarcasm, Anti-Stupidity, Obscure References top tier member.
No wonder the LH flights are able to get CO credit.
Old Feb 17, 2009, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by tommy777
...He gave me an offer, I accepted and we are now one big, happy family again. ...
Tommy: Glad that it worked out! Maybe this was an ok battle to pick after all.

By any chance did you and Scott discuss a memo to GAs admonishing them to never close a flight early?
Old Feb 17, 2009, 3:28 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Bonehead
Tommy: Glad that it worked out! Maybe this was an ok battle to pick after all.

By any chance did you and Scott discuss a memo to GAs admonishing them to never close a flight early?
+1 on it working out in Agreement

I for 1 have no problem with a flight closing up early thats if everyone has boarded or its past T-15. Or if ATC told CO you leave lets say 20 mins early or sustain a 3 hr delay. But CO should take of those who were inconvinced by its leaving early

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.