Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Additional Elite Mileage Bonus for Presidential Plus Cardmembers – Eff. Mar. 1

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Additional Elite Mileage Bonus for Presidential Plus Cardmembers – Eff. Mar. 1

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2009, 10:42 am

Programs: AS MVPG75, UA 1K, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Gold, Starwood Gold, Hilton Platinum
Card Upgrade Question

Hey Scott,

I'm going to pull the trigger and upgrade to the Pres Plus card (and dump my Amex Platinum). One question, I got the Mileathon promotion and can get 60 points for getting the PP card. Do I need a whole new card or will upgrading my current account work? Thanks.
peejayemm
Old Jan 29, 2009, 11:28 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Lifetime UA Club, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Nat'l Executive Elite, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by CO Insider
Hi tabTX, you'll get the extra Elite bonus miles even if don't use the card to buy your ticket.

To clarify, cova, we do have a discounted annual fee for our customers who have lifetime Presidents Club memberships. The annual fee in these cases is only $100, and includes all the other benefits that come with the card, including Hyatt Platinum status. Avis Presidents Club, $3 discount off Presidents Club Premium Wine & Spirits, Flex Elite Qualification Miles (EQMs), plus OnePass miles for every dollar you spend. To qualify for this discounted annual membership fee, lifetime Presidents Club members should call 800-346-0123 to apply. Just say you're a lifetime Presidents Club member and provide your membership details for verification.
I had no idea about this. It would have been nice if Lifetime PC members were notified of this when the marketing blitz for the card occurred. I have simply dismissed the card given the high annual fee for, in my case, very little in return. Thanks for the clarification, Scott.
Old Jan 29, 2009, 11:42 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Lifetime UA Club, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Nat'l Executive Elite, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by Syzygies

I have one of the original "Speedy Turtle" (how's that for an obscure reference to a funny chapter here?) Continental Chase Mastercards. It supposedly comes with two PC passes per year, but they haven't sent me any since the first year.
I had one of the Chase Continental Visa Signature cards, which later became World Mastercards. In neither case did I receive the promised benefits. The first year they said it was because they discontinued the Visa program in favour of Mastercard. The second year they said it was because I joined (by virtue of the Visa conversion) mid-year and so would not receive them. The third year, they fed me some line about Continental not fulfilling their request. I finally gave up and walked away from their fee-based cards. I have the Freedom card and I love it. I get back roughly $1500 per year from them -- this year I have started putting my business expenses on it... can't wait 'til those checks start rolling in.

Last edited by Xyzzy; Feb 3, 2009 at 2:52 pm Reason: Fixed UBB code
Old Jan 30, 2009, 1:04 am
rln

The Presidential Plus Card, even before the bonus premium, offered opportunities to score miles. For each of the last six months, if you used the card a minimum of 30 times, you earned 1000 miles - a total of 6000 miles just for using the card for normal purchases. Folks were fairly skeptical of the card's benefits when it was introduced but the opportunities to earn extra miles - on top of PC membership - has, in my opinion, proven its worth.
Old Jan 30, 2009, 11:49 am

Programs: UA Silv; Hyatt Plat, Priority Club, SPG G, HHonors G, Marriott S; Hertz 5*; AA, WN, Pan Am!
Originally Posted by CO Insider
Hi ATB, as nbs2 mentions, the best way to upgrade your existing Continental Chase account to the Presidential Plus card is to call the number on the back of your card. That's the best way to ensure your account is upgraded properly.
Perhaps someone knows the answer to this one:

I'm a lifetime PC member and currently have World Mastercard and want to upgrade. My anniversary date for World MC is April of this year, so I was thinking of waiting until then, so that I got the PC passes (for Mrs. texd) before I upgrade.

I have two areas of concern regarding my plan:
(1) I'm assuming that the PC passes from being a World MC member are useable by anyone, correct? If not, there's no point in me waiting for them.

(2) The plan also relies on the PPMC upgrade pro-rating the annual fee based on the fact that I will have just been charged an annual fee by the World MC... otherwise I should just tell Mrs texd to buy a day pass when she needs to (or finally add a spouse membership to my membership). Does anybody know if they pro-rate the annual fee on upgrades?
Old Jan 30, 2009, 11:57 am

Location: EWR, USA, AA 1MM Gold, United Premier Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Emerald Club Executive
Originally Posted by texd
Perhaps someone knows the answer to this one:

I'm a lifetime PC member and currently have World Mastercard and want to upgrade. My anniversary date for World MC is April of this year, so I was thinking of waiting until then, so that I got the PC passes (for Mrs. texd) before I upgrade.

I have two areas of concern regarding my plan:
(1) I'm assuming that the PC passes from being a World MC member are useable by anyone, correct? If not, there's no point in me waiting for them.

(2) The plan also relies on the PPMC upgrade pro-rating the annual fee based on the fact that I will have just been charged an annual fee by the World MC... otherwise I should just tell Mrs texd to buy a day pass when she needs to (or finally add a spouse membership to my membership). Does anybody know if they pro-rate the annual fee on upgrades?
(1) Yes
(2) Not sure about that one
Old Jan 30, 2009, 1:45 pm

Programs: CO Gold, US Plat, ICH Plat/RA
Pres Plus without Pres Club membership

I already have Pres Club access through Centurion - is there possibility of either designating different person (secondary cardholder) for Presidents Club mebership, or reduced fee?

I just love to get those EQMs, see
Old Jan 30, 2009, 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by texd
Yes.

They charge you X*(Y-85)/12, where X is the number of months remaining until your anniversary date and Y is your PPC fee. I left PPC fee as a variable as I suspect they would use the same calculation if you were a lifetime PC member and eligible for the $100 fee.
Old Jan 30, 2009, 4:20 pm

Programs: Airline FF: UA 1K, DL, US, AA, NW,
World Card to Presdential Plus Card

Originally Posted by ATB
Is there a way/# for us World Mastercard holders to call to have our cards upgraded? I would prefer a conversion rather than having to get a new card and cancel the old one to avoid any impacts on tmy credit rating.
I called the number on my Presidential Plus Offer sheet that came in the mail due to my upcoming renewal on the President's Club. I was told that I couldn't directly get my World Master card number rolled over. They did activate the Presidential Plus card to the same account and the old card number will expire after 2 months.

This will allow me to change all my automatic billings and have charges continue as planned. I also didn't need to change any logins. They credited my recent World mastercard fee by discounting the Presidential fee. I also just got a credit on my President's club membership for the remaining portion.

hope that helps!
Old Feb 3, 2009, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
I tried to change my free Chase CO MC into the PP card and they made me apply again
Old Feb 3, 2009, 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by xyzzy
I tried to change my free Chase CO MC into the PP card and they made me apply again
Call again? Both reps I spoke with (I called the day before I switched to ask some questions about switching, and specifically about the roll over since I plan getting a mortgage in the next few months) told me I would be rolled over.
Old Feb 4, 2009, 11:10 pm
Company Representative, United Airlines
Original Poster

Originally Posted by peejayemm
Hey Scott,

I'm going to pull the trigger and upgrade to the Pres Plus card (and dump my Amex Platinum). One question, I got the Mileathon promotion and can get 60 points for getting the PP card. Do I need a whole new card or will upgrading my current account work? Thanks.
peejayemm
Hi peejayemm, you'll get the Mileathon credits even if your upgrading your existing Continental Chase WorldCard.
Old Feb 25, 2009, 8:44 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Just applied for this card as a lifetime PC member.
No fee for first year, $100 thereafter.
Old Mar 9, 2009, 5:27 pm
Suspended

Location: Was living in WAS now DFW, at least closer to IAH!;)
Programs: UA:1K SPG:PLT MR:GLD AVIS-HERTZ:PREZ and AA is for quitters!
Originally Posted by ctownflyer
Well damn. I called the 800-346-0123 number and ID'd myself at LT PC and current CW MC holder and all they would do is put me in for a new PPMC. It was only 5pm CST but the person was far far away(dot not feather) and would not go off script no matter how hard I tried to explain that I just wanted WMC -----> PPMC. They suggested I call the number on the back of the WMC and stopped processing my application.

I called the WMC number, got a great lady who knew exactly what I wanted to do, flipped my card to a PPMC but ......wait for it.......she would not relent on the annual fee being lower for LT PC members. Said it would be 375 like anyone else and actually skewed Continental a bit for communicating anything else as Chase sets the numbers. Understood her point but not thrilled and certainly don't feel like calling 800-346-0123 back to have them rectify the situation. Wish I knew the "GG" code for the Chase folks to look this one up. Hopefully the adding machines on the interweb will figure it out before I have to pick up the phone.
Old Mar 10, 2009, 12:56 pm

Programs: CO Silver
Originally Posted by ctownflyer
please explain further (if possible). as i have an amex plat, 375 isnt worth it. 100 is.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.