Wiki Posts
Search

bump voucher question

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2008, 10:32 pm
Original Poster

bump voucher question

[Sorry if this is a repeat question, I did a search but didn't find anything.]

When does a voucher need to be used by? I assume the base expiration date is 1 year from date of issue, but is that when:

- travel needs to be started by?
- travel needs to be completed by?
- ticket needs to be purchased by (which actually gives you 1yr + ~11 months).

Also, is it correct that you can only use 1 travel voucher per purchase? Is so, I assume this is certainly true for online purchase (maybe only one field for voucher information), what about if you ticket in person?

Thanks.

Jeff
Old Oct 23, 2008, 11:16 pm

Programs: UA Aluminum 0.6MM, Bonvoy Life Sentence, Hyatt Eliteist, AA Super Plutonium
Originally Posted by jwhite4

When does a voucher need to be used by? I assume the base expiration date is 1 year from date of issue, but is that when:

Also, is it correct that you can only use 1 travel voucher per purchase? Is so, I assume this is certainly true for online purchase (maybe only one field for voucher information), what about if you ticket in person?

Thanks.

Jeff
You just have to buy the ticket before expiration.

And yes, I believe you may only use one travel voucher per purchase.
If you have more than one voucher, you could try booking each leg as a different flight as long as it doesn't mess up the pricing.
Old Oct 24, 2008, 5:38 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. Good to know I have until Sep 2010 to fly, since my travel plans for 2009 are close to booked up.
Old Oct 24, 2008, 10:07 am

Programs: CO Plat, Priority Club Plat
I've gotten quite a few of these over the past year, and on a recent trip to Miami, I used two of them to pay for my entire trip, so don't think it only allows one per booking... it is basically like applying a credit of that amount to the ticket, and if you need more, you apply more...

I did purchase tickets for my wife and myself, so not sure if buying for two people is why I was able to use two certificates, but just my experience...
Old Oct 24, 2008, 10:10 am

buyinf for 2 allowed you to to use 2 certs
Old Oct 24, 2008, 5:51 pm

Programs: UA nothing (former multi-year CO Platinum), AA 1M Gold, HH Diamond, National Executive
Originally Posted by sweetsue
buyinf for 2 allowed you to to use 2 certs
I just tried a "dummy" booking of 2 people on one PNR and CO.com would not allow me to use two travel certificates. It also would not allow me to use funds from my travel bank along with a single travel cert. If somebody has different experience, please post the details for how you made this work.
Old Oct 24, 2008, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Under the Liberty Visual to 27L at PHL. Stranger in a strange land - a Devils fan in Flyers country.
Programs: PWP Le Chancelier des Clefs d'Or || Sarcasm, Anti-Stupidity, Obscure References top tier member.
Not being allowed to use multiple certs is in the T&C's that are printed on the pages attached to the cert. Not gonna happen.
Old Oct 24, 2008, 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by jwhite4

Thanks.

Jeff
I ran into the same issue with having to use up my voucher. So, I just purchased a ticket a few days before it expired and then canceled it that night. I now have a NEW credit that's good for another year
Old Oct 24, 2008, 9:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, AA, B6, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG, SPG
Originally Posted by ConciergeMike
Not being allowed to use multiple certs is in the T&C's that are printed on the pages attached to the cert. Not gonna happen.
The exact wording for peoples reference is"5. ..This certificate is non-transferrable and cannot be combined with other travel certificates with promational code TCVA or other travel certficates that represent a form of pavement."
Old Oct 24, 2008, 9:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Under the Liberty Visual to 27L at PHL. Stranger in a strange land - a Devils fan in Flyers country.
Programs: PWP Le Chancelier des Clefs d'Or || Sarcasm, Anti-Stupidity, Obscure References top tier member.
So I can't hand CO a slab of concrete?
Old Oct 24, 2008, 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by ConciergeMike
So I can't hand CO a slab of concrete?
lmao. awww leave the guy alone lol
Old Oct 24, 2008, 10:30 pm
Original Poster

Well at least for now I don't have to worry about multiple vouchers. My return flight yesterday, which was oversold +6 at checkin ~3 hrs before the flight, went out needing no volunteers.

Jeff
Old Oct 25, 2008, 8:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

FWIW, there have been reports of the kind folks at CO combining certs to make it possible to buy a more expensive ticket with a couple certs that have been issued, but that is not the norm. You have to ask nicely and get the right person to do it. But it has happened.
Old Oct 25, 2008, 8:24 am

Programs: UA nothing (former multi-year CO Platinum), AA 1M Gold, HH Diamond, National Executive
Originally Posted by sbm12
FWIW, there have been reports of the kind folks at CO combining certs to make it possible to buy a more expensive ticket with a couple certs that have been issued, but that is not the norm. You have to ask nicely and get the right person to do it. But it has happened.
My issue was caused by booking a flight, then realizing within 24 hours that I would prefer a different return flight time. There was no way to change without the $150 penalty, but cancel/rebook was an option. Unfortunately, the cancellation credit was in the form of a new travel cert when I would have preferred it be returned to the "original form of payment", which was a much larger travel cert. Now I am left with two travel certs that will be harder to fully utilize the value without combining too much of my own $. Oh well, I guess I could have worse problems and not have any vouchers at all!
Old Oct 25, 2008, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by Flyer737
My issue was caused by booking a flight, then realizing within 24 hours that I would prefer a different return flight time. There was no way to change without the $150 penalty, but cancel/rebook was an option. Unfortunately, the cancellation credit was in the form of a new travel cert when I would have preferred it be returned to the "original form of payment", which was a much larger travel cert. Now I am left with two travel certs that will be harder to fully utilize the value without combining too much of my own $. Oh well, I guess I could have worse problems and not have any vouchers at all!

This one is a trade-off. DL returns it to the original cert, but it also carries the original cert's terms (e.g., expiration date, etc.). CO issues a new cert, so you get a new date, but as you've pointed out, you can end up dividing a larger cert.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.