Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CO introduces new BusinessFirst seat

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2008, 7:26 am

Programs: nada
Originally Posted by From NYC
I think it's great that the new seat has finally been announced. It's long overdue. However, I don't get why CO is waiting so long to start installing them. Why not start the process now whenever there are enough of the seats to retrofit a plane that's being serviced, and start catching up to the other airlines that have started doing so? Perhaps because CO's fleet size is so small that the extra time it would take doesn't allow for it?
True. It would be very smart of CO to try to roll out some of the new seats while the rest of the 772 fleet goes through AVOD and nose to tail power upgrades....though I am not sure the pace this is moving at or when the seats will be ready.
Old Jul 23, 2008, 7:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Interesting way of introducing the seat. I would have expected something with a little more fanfare. When will we see the seat on display at EWR and/or IAH?

I like that they went with a true lay-flat seat and a much larger video display! I agree with the poster that commented that window seats are going to be a pain to get out of, but I think CO had to go this way so they didn't have to reduce the number of seats. Does anyone think the padding on the seat looks a bit thin (like DL's herringbone seats)? I hope this is not a problem when sitting upright in the seat.

It's interesting that they make no mention of putting these seats on to the 767s. I suppose this means they will all be retired a few years after the 787s start to come online.
Old Jul 23, 2008, 7:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A festering pit; a pustule of a fistula set athwart the miasmic swamps of the armpit of the Gulf of Mexico - a Godforsaken wart upon a dark crevasse of the World. (IAH)
Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by semantic
Nah. CO isn't UA. It won't be overnight, but I'd bet they get the 772s and 764s re-fitted rather quickly once the rollout starts. They were rather speedy with the Wingletting of the 752s and AVOD upgrades to 772s and 752s.
Old Jul 23, 2008, 7:39 am

Programs: HH Silver, MR Plat Prem & LT Plat, Hyatt Plat,SPG Plat, Hertz PC, National EE, UA 1K
Originally Posted by vsop
I wish they would be speeding this up. A date goal like 2010 is a bit far off.
To bad they won't be doing mini suites..
2010 for the START date!

No talk of when the refurb/completion of existing aircraft will be!?

With the pace of other projects (AVOD), expect these new seats to be installed VERY slowly!
Old Jul 23, 2008, 7:45 am

Programs: AA GLD .25MM, CO, UA, US, DL, HH, SPG (all cardboard)
So many new seats. Has anybody created a chart of airlines, their seat timelines, and which ones are identical/slightly modified versions of each other?
Old Jul 23, 2008, 7:52 am

Programs: UA Premier Silver, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver
It looks very nice but I just don't wan't to wait two years for it.
Old Jul 23, 2008, 7:55 am

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Thumbs down FlyerTalk

It's a shame CO didn't tap into this community more for feedback on the seats.
Old Jul 23, 2008, 8:03 am

Programs: Active: AA, UA, DL
Originally Posted by rkkwan
Thanks for the links!

1. Not surprising they choose this one, similar to DL's. This is simply the best design out there now for CO's needs, as it's the flat bed that takes up the least room and don't require seats that face backwards. In fact, they take up less room then the current BF seats in the 767/777, so you may see more than 50 seats in a 772, for example.
How do you get more room and yet increase capacity for a given area? Is the pitch the same?
Old Jul 23, 2008, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Originally Posted by Wiirachay
How do you get more room and yet increase capacity for a given area? Is the pitch the same?
Because the feet of a passenger goes into the a well that's under the armrest - and the "Tower of Power" - between two passengers in front of you.

The current layout waste a lot of space, and CO had previously opted to go for the extra width on the 772 - not only the seats, but also the aisle - for its BusinessFirst product. 10 years ago, that put it ahead of other regular business class offerings.
Old Jul 23, 2008, 8:14 am

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Originally Posted by Wiirachay
It's hard to tell from the picture but it seems like the seats are kinda offset, almost angled even, from the ones in front of them.

That said it's good to see CO upping BF2 in light of the 787 delays. I wonder which aircraft are scheduled for the update (787, 777, 757(?) 767(?)).
Old Jul 23, 2008, 8:47 am

Programs: Active: AA, UA, DL
Looks like CO will be getting my business again. I'll be flying to Asia in 2010 and 2011. Hopefully, It'll be on the 787. I love their service; however, I found that their seat has falling behind the times.

Thanks for the great explanations about staggered BF seats. I wonder how the anti-social seats will work on the B767 then.

- Pat
Old Jul 23, 2008, 9:19 am

Programs: Priority Pass, DL SM, UA G, VA GM, SPG GM, HHonors GM, Marriott PM
Originally Posted by semantic
Guess I will have to stick to Emirates for my suites
Old Jul 23, 2008, 9:33 am
Suspended

Programs: Continental Gold Elite, United Premier Executive
An excellent (soft) announcement by CO! The seat looks like it will do everything CO will need it to do -- offer a true lie-flat experience, maintain adequate seating density, and closely complement the new United Business seat so as to offer a "common" longhaul premium product for the joint venture.

I think CO is acting very, VERY smartly by having such a long lag time between announcement and installation. Numerous carriers have had their refurbishment programs turn into exercises in frustration by using overly optimistic schedules that the suppliers could not adhere to. And in the meantime, the current 777 BF seat won't kill any of us -- it's lie-flat enough until the installations begin.

I also think it's smart for CO to avoid installing that lie-flat in the 767s. Years ago, a major airline exec said it best in an industry publication -- "The economics of a lie-flat product in a 767 are rather poor," and that's something that holds almost as true today as it did during the roaring 1990s when lie-flat products first began to make an appearance. I'm sure those more fully in the know can explain it better, but thus far, virtually every airline that has done a true lie-flat seat on a 767 either: 1) has alot of underutilized space; 2) takes a massive hit in seating density; or 3) has installed an extremely narrow seat, barely wider than a normal economy seat. True, there may be some more wiggle room in the possibilities for the 764s, but Delta has exlcusive rights to the Thompson seat that will be used in its 764s, so CO will have to await another solution. Unless, it follows through with installing the existing 777 seat design on the 767 fleet, which was the original intention in the early 2000s.
Old Jul 23, 2008, 9:42 am

Programs: CO Gold, Marriott silver
I cant get either of these two links to work, did they change? Any others having the same issue? Thanks.
Old Jul 23, 2008, 9:42 am
Suspended

Programs: Continental Gold Elite, United Premier Executive
Uh-oh...the content for those links has been removed. Did CO just tease us?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.