Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Waitlist improvements for OnePass upgrade rewards – coming June 17th

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Waitlist improvements for OnePass upgrade rewards – coming June 17th

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2008, 7:32 pm

Programs: AK, DL,UA
Originally Posted by Bonehead
Where is there a citation for this potential "hole-closing"?
Per CO Insider's post:
EUA within 24 Hours. Currently, our Elite Upgrade Automation (EUA) doesn’t consider waitlisted customers on the day of departure. This is a known issue, and we’re on track to correct this in the next couple months. Fortunately, this only could occur on flight segments that are eligible for Elite upgrades. Our solution for this will involve EUA processing upgrades for customers who had expired reward waitlists.
Old Oct 8, 2008, 7:58 am

Programs: UA GS; DL MM; Hyatt Diamond; Hilton Diamond; Avis First
I am confused and would appreciate some guidance.

The setup is that my wife and I are on CO 1476 tomorrow to PHL. I am a plat and she just missed silver last year. We are on a H fares. I have waitlisted us for mileage upgrades. Currently pda shows capacity 16, booked 8, checked in 1. Also three people upgraded.

My question is not "why haven't we been cleared" although it does seem strange, but rather, when I OLCI at the 24 hour mark and get asked if I want to upgrade what do I do? Does answering yes screw up the waitlist? Does answering no screw it up? Once I am checked in is the system still not automatically adding the waitlists to the EUA list and I will get jumped by all the EUAs?? Sorry for the long list of questions, haven't seen this scenario discussed yet (I think, sorry if it has.)

Thanks in advance.
Old Oct 8, 2008, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by donnyb
Per CO Insider's post:
EUA within 24 Hours. Currently, our Elite Upgrade Automation (EUA) doesn’t consider waitlisted customers on the day of departure. This is a known issue, and we’re on track to correct this in the next couple months. Fortunately, this only could occur on flight segments that are eligible for Elite upgrades. Our solution for this will involve EUA processing upgrades for customers who had expired reward waitlists.
I assume that those who were on the waitlist will be somehow assigned a very high priority, thereby closing the hole. The post that you cite is not clear on methodology...that's what I was looking for.
Old Oct 8, 2008, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by glcarter
The setup is that my wife and I are on CO 1476 tomorrow to PHL. I am a plat and she just missed silver last year. We are on a H fares. I have waitlisted us for mileage upgrades. Currently pda shows capacity 16, booked 8, checked in 1. Also three people upgraded.

My question is not "why haven't we been cleared" although it does seem strange, but rather, when I OLCI at the 24 hour mark and get asked if I want to upgrade what do I do? Does answering yes screw up the waitlist? Does answering no screw it up? Once I am checked in is the system still not automatically adding the waitlists to the EUA list and I will get jumped by all the EUAs?? Sorry for the long list of questions, haven't seen this scenario discussed yet (I think, sorry if it has.)

Thanks in advance.
I have a vague recollection that CO Insider said that that question would be removed from OLCI. Perhaps someone could verify that (and I'll do a search).

The folks already showing as upgraded may have used miles, or purchased "Y" fares. There is no "F" bucket availability at present.
Old Oct 8, 2008, 8:33 am

Location: Homosassa, FL & Ringwood, NJ -UA-G(Lifetime); SPG-Plat (Lifetime)
I assume that those who were on the waitlist will be somehow assigned a very high priority, thereby closing the hole. The post that you cite is not clear on methodology...that's what I was looking for.
I think what should happen at some time in the future is that those people on the waitlist will be categorized as PR1 and go ahead of EUA elligible travellers. What is not clear is exactly what time those people become PR1. Will it be at 24 hours and 1 minute so that they clear BEFORE the 24 hour EUA run, or 23 hours and 59 minutes so that they clear after this run. It makes a huge difference. I guess it all depends on whether CO conisders it more important to take care of people on mileage upgrades than the people wiating for EUAs. Personally, I would take care of the mileage upgraders first, since they spent hard earned miles for the opportunity.
Old Oct 8, 2008, 8:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Vulcan
I think what should happen at some time in the future is that those people on the waitlist will be categorized as PR1 and go ahead of EUA elligible travellers. What is not clear is exactly what time those people become PR1. Will it be at 24 hours and 1 minute so that they clear BEFORE the 24 hour EUA run, or 23 hours and 59 minutes so that they clear after this run. It makes a huge difference. I guess it all depends on whether CO conisders it more important to take care of people on mileage upgrades than the people wiating for EUAs. Personally, I would take care of the mileage upgraders first, since they spent hard earned miles for the opportunity.
My understanding is that right now ONLY the 3-hour EUA window is where there are issues with the miles/EUA priority not being correct. The T-24 is already processing correctly.
Old Oct 8, 2008, 8:53 am

Location: Homosassa, FL & Ringwood, NJ -UA-G(Lifetime); SPG-Plat (Lifetime)
Originally Posted by sbm12
My understanding is that right now ONLY the 3-hour EUA window is where there are issues with the miles/EUA priority not being correct. The T-24 is already processing correctly.
I guess I am still confused. Perhaps someone can tell me what happens if I am on a milage upgrade request at the 24 hour point. It is my understanding that if no seats are available for mileage upgrades, then my mileage upgrade is cancelled at this point. So, am I elligible for EUA at the 24 hour point, or 3 hours, or ????

Thanks
Old Oct 8, 2008, 8:58 am

Programs: UA GS; DL MM; Hyatt Diamond; Hilton Diamond; Avis First
That is another thing I was wondering also, Vulcan

Originally Posted by Vulcan
I guess I am still confused. Perhaps someone can tell me what happens if I am on a milage upgrade request at the 24 hour point. It is my understanding that if no seats are available for mileage upgrades, then my mileage upgrade is cancelled at this point. So, am I elligible for EUA at the 24 hour point, or 3 hours, or ????

Thanks
Thanks for asking the question.
Old Dec 31, 2008, 10:09 am

Programs: CO Gold; SPG Gold***; AvisFirst;
Hi,

Might be some more glitches... I did report this to co.com support, but not sure that was the correct place.

Here's what happened:

We were traveling ewr-cun - 4 people, 2 PNR's. 2 waitlisted upgrades from my account (gold) and 2 from my wife's account (silver). The other individuals (one on my pnr and one on my wife's) are non-elite.

At the 24 hour mark, we all received a co.com error message via email (separate issue that ought to be addressed). I was unable to checkin as not all of us had recently had our passports swiped at the airport. I was asked as to whether I wanted a first class upgrade if one was available, as was my wife. I answered "yes" in both cases, not sure what would happen to the waitlist if I said no. That answer split the PNR's into 4 total.

At the airport, after checkin, I checked the PDA site. As first looked full, I didn't see any possibility of upgrades, however the standby list was odd:

I was not on the list. The other three of us were, with the non-elite waitlisted with my miles at the top, followed by the other two (who have the same initials). There was one person below us.

I asked at the PC about me being missing. The person there said that they couldn't see mileage upgrades, but she put me on the list. I was below the others in my party (seemed odd). She suggested I call the elite desk and ask about it. The elite desk CSR said that there was no more mileage waitlist, and that it was all under, "airport control." I asked if the mileage waitlist was gone, why were the 2 non-elite people on the list. She was deeply perplexed, and suggested co.com support might help. They had no idea.

Note: as we would not have received upgrades in any event, there was no issue, other than perhaps there is a glitch in the system that might affect someone's future upgrades.

Questions:
  1. Why was my name not added to the standby list?
  2. When it was added, why #4?
  3. Why doesn't the onepass elite desk or co.com support know about the new waitlist rules after the 24 hour mark?

Thanks.

P.S.: I can PM the PNR's and co.com tracking number if necessary.
Old Dec 31, 2008, 1:40 pm

Programs: AK, DL,UA
Clearly this problem has not been solved and the hierarchy / procedure still needs to be concisely explained to us. Anyone at CO care to take this on?
Old Apr 10, 2009, 1:14 pm

Programs: PC-RA, HH-Dia, CO-Plat, UA-1K
Upgrade Waitlist with thru' ticket?

I have searched but cannot find information on this situation:

I'm booked in "B" class on CO89 from IAH to PEK, stop and change planes in EWR.

When I was put on the waitlist I was told it was pretty sure I'd clear, etc. but then I remembered afterwards that with a B fare I can upgrade the domestic section at ticketing....

Called and they explained that this cannot be done so I asked if there was availability to upgrade right now on the EWR to PEK section and can we clear this segment. I was told yes there is availability but I can't upgrade since the IAH to EWR section is not available to clear, and it's a thru' ticket?

I probed a little more and was told that I would have to split the ticket into IAH to EWR and EWR to PEK and that I would have to pay a change fee and have my ticket re-issued. Since this is a RTW ticket with many other carriers I told them to leave it alone as I do not want any changes that could impact the rest of the journey.

Anyway, now I'm 4 days from departure and cannot even clear domestically through the EUA system since the ticket is IAH to PEK?

So my question is what do I do when I check in in IAH, if I don't clear will they issue me a bording pass in coach IAH to EWR and keep me on the standby from EWR to PEK, or once they close the doors in IAH am I done for?

Anyone with experience in this issue would be a help!

Originally Posted by CO Insider
Hi Everyone, today we’re pleased to announce that we'll be making some important waitlist improvements for OnePass upgrade rewards. This is an exciting change, and one that we talked about at the last DO (you may also recall some of the more popular threads on the topic from our esteemed ContinentalFan and craz). In short, we agree with you, and we're putting the technology in place to make sure this works seamlessly. Here are details:
“Beginning June 17, 2008, Continental will improve its waitlist policy for upgrade rewards. Specifically, customers who have waitlisted for an upgrade in conjunction with a OnePass upgrade reward will be permitted to stand by on the day of departure whenever their waitlist does not clear in advance. Upon check-in, these customers will automatically be added to the upgrade standby list for any flights that were waitlisted. All day-of-departure standby upgrades will be cleared by a Continental airport representative at the gate once the flight has closed for check-in.
The service fees and mileage deduction for all OnePass upgrade rewards will be assessed at the time of request. For BusinessFirst upgrade rewards, all miles and service fees would be refunded if the BusinessFirst segment of the trip could not be upgraded. For all other upgrade rewards, miles would be refunded only when no segments of the trip could be upgraded. When applicable, service fees and mileage refunds occur 7 to 10 days after the trip.”
This is also posted at continental.com > OnePass > Use Miles > Upgrade Rewards. Here are some important points worth noting:
  1. The current waitlist policy will remain in effect through June 16th – no exceptions!

2. Once this new policy is implemented, service fees will be charged at the time you request the upgrade reward, even when your flights are waitlisted. This is in contrast to our current practice where we charge the service fee upon waitlist clearance. We will, however, allow these service fees to be refunded anytime in advance as long as the waitlist for the BusinessFirst segment has not yet cleared. This particular change won't apply retroactively - meaning if you've redeemed for a mileage upgrade reward prior to June 17th, then you still won't be charged until the upgrade waitlist clears. You will however, still be eligible to standby on the day of departure for the upgrade if your trip departs on or after June 17th.

3. Waitlisted customers will have an upgrade priority that is just below paid First/BusinessFirst customers. When applicable, the waitlist priority (which is driven by the Elite status of the account from which the miles were redeemed), then fare class paid, then the timestamp of the original waitlist will be the tie-breakers.

4. We will be implementing the same “automatic” day of departure upgrade standby for waitlisted free travel rewards, which we expect to launch late this year. In the mean time, this must be handled by one of our airport representatives upon check-in.

5. BusinessFirst upgrade rewards must still be requested at least 24 hours in advance.

6. Waitlist requests still must be handled by calling our contact center.

7. Waitlists for series 0 rewards (travel within or between the 48 contiguous U.S., Alaska and Canada) are still only permitted for OnePass Elite members.

8. For a brief period after this is implemented, we will not be printing "Added to First Class standby list" on our online, kiosk and curbside boarding passes. This will be corrected later this summer. In the mean time, to verify you've been added to the upgrade standby list, be sure to check on pda.continental.com/info or with a Continental airport representative.

9. This will apply to all OnePass upgrade rewards, and will include all flights operated by Continental and Continental Micronesia.
If you have any questions, please post them here. As always, thanks as always for your feedback and great ideas. Please keep it coming.

-----------------
UPDATE 10/2/08 (click here) - Includes answers to frequently asked questions and issue reported, including examples of when complimentary Elite upgrades could trump reward waitlists.
Old Jul 25, 2009, 2:16 am

Programs: UA Gold, CO Plat, CO Million Miler
Forgive me please if I missed something in all the posts on this thread, but I would appreciate it if someone should confirm my understanding of the following:

I am waitlisted for tomorrows flight in BF from FCO to EWR for a miles + fee upgrade. Presently, the flight is showing only 17 booked out of 25 on pda.continental.com, two of whom are my wife and daughter upgraded on a seperate mileage award PNR yesterday. If I don't clear by the 24 hour market, which is in about 3 hours time, I should check in normally for Y and I'll be added to the upgrade standby list automatically. Is that correct? Or should I be calling in to CO?

Thanks, HughW
Old Jul 25, 2009, 4:21 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
Originally Posted by CO Insider
Specifically, customers who have waitlisted for an upgrade in conjunction with a OnePass upgrade reward will be permitted to stand by on the day of departure whenever their waitlist does not clear in advance. Upon check-in, these customers will automatically be added to the upgrade standby list for any flights that were waitlisted. All day-of-departure standby upgrades will be cleared by a Continental airport representative at the gate once the flight has closed for check-in.
Sounds like you'll be ok. But in a separate post, CO Insider stated that if it doesn't clear automatically (but it should), the phone agents won't be able to help you, you will have to take care of it at airport.
Old Jul 25, 2009, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hughw
Forgive me please if I missed something in all the posts on this thread, but I would appreciate it if someone should confirm my understanding of the following:

I am waitlisted for tomorrows flight in BF from FCO to EWR for a miles + fee upgrade. Presently, the flight is showing only 17 booked out of 25 on pda.continental.com, two of whom are my wife and daughter upgraded on a seperate mileage award PNR yesterday. If I don't clear by the 24 hour market, which is in about 3 hours time, I should check in normally for Y and I'll be added to the upgrade standby list automatically. Is that correct? Or should I be calling in to CO?

Thanks, HughW
Looks like you're OK...

Upgrade Standby List *

NAME
1. WEI, H.
Old Dec 29, 2009, 8:10 am

Programs: Commoner... just a onepass (non-elite)
Looks like you're OK...

Upgrade Standby List *

NAME
1. WEI, H.
So to be clear, the miles+$ upgrade to FC, did not clear 24hrs before the flight.. you were then automatically put on the upgrade waitlist?

My question after that is... when are you cleared to FC? When you check in? Does it matter if you check in (and print board pass) online 24hrs before the flight or only when you e-check in at the airport?

I'd like to know if it matters when I get to the airport if I check in online (as far as getting in the front of the upgrade list).

thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.