Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Waitlist improvements for OnePass upgrade rewards – coming June 17th

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Waitlist improvements for OnePass upgrade rewards – coming June 17th

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2008, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
cova is correct about the reason. In fact, after they started the co-pay, some of us wonder if CO might actually favor the lower fare class for upgrades, because that will generate more co-pay revenue.

[That has not happened, fortunately.]
Old May 16, 2008, 8:12 pm

Programs: Priceline Blood Diamond Elite. Peon on DL, AA, UA, US, and WN.
Originally Posted by ijgordon
How would it have helped you? I assume your upgrade cleared before the 24 hour mark anyway, since you stated that you did in fact use miles to upgrade.
It probably wouldn't have. But, it is nice to have this available in the future.
Old May 16, 2008, 10:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Scott, thanks for this excellent enhancement. I am impressed by how much you work for the customer!
Old May 17, 2008, 2:05 am

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Originally Posted by ContinentalFan
Scott, thanks for this excellent enhancement. I am impressed by how much you work for the customer!
...and could that be the reason CO's no longer rated at "F" ?
Old May 17, 2008, 6:07 am

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Dear Non-Rev'er, I'm Sorry

I think these changes are great ...and as a Platinum revenue flyer, love 'em.

But I also know that the top benefit of their valued employees is the ability to fly around in BF on a space-available basis; just as the Elite system has killed the opportunity for most domestic first class pass travel, I think this change will also significantly reduce if not outright kill the ability for international pass travel in the premium cabin. So for the non-rev'ers, I think this is a sad day... although considering how volatile this industry is, a needed day ...to improve paying customer satisfaction and resulting increased revenue to keep the airline afloat.
Old May 17, 2008, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Weatherboy
I think this change will also significantly reduce if not outright kill the ability for international pass travel in the premium cabin. So for the non-rev'ers, I think this is a sad day...
I wouldn't be so sure. I guess the real question is -- historically, what percentage of BF upgrade-waitlisted elites never clear, and then further the flight goes out with empty seats (or with employees). We hear about those incidents from time to time here and when it happens people scream loudly about it, but I don't know anyone personally who hasn't even had the upgrade clear. I conjecture that the number is smaller than you'd think. CO Insider has hinted, and I've seen it firsthand (well, secondhand as it was my parents) that CO is very good about clearing waitlists at the 24 hour mark even if that means leaving only 1 seat left for sale.
Now of course if even one customer is upgraded at the airport into the last available BF seat, then that clearly comes at the expense of the nonrev who may have been standing by. But I maintain that I believe the impact will be smaller than you think.
A potentially bigger impact could come from people who get to the airport, ask about an upgrade and are allowed to pay the miles and co-pay on the spot. But CO still isn't allowing this; requests still must be made 24 hours in advance, per CO Insider's original post.
Old May 17, 2008, 9:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I do not know how much it will affect the non-revs, though I do tend to agree that it will be less than often. It was discussed in some reasonable depth following the DO in September in this thread, including links to external threads where there is even more "discussion" of the topic.
Old May 17, 2008, 11:51 am

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Originally Posted by Weatherboy
I think this change will also significantly reduce if not outright kill the ability for international pass travel in the premium cabin.
IMHO R fares were/are the knife in the back of pass travel (and upgrades).
Old May 18, 2008, 4:31 am

Programs: CO Plat, Starwood Plat, Hyatt Plat, Hilton Diamond, CO Pres. Plus, Hertz #1 Gold
Originally Posted by dmunz
Ok, here's another possible issue with this. Based on my trip listed above (and the current "rules") I somehow almost lost out on my exit row seat. Basically, I could not check in at the 24 hour mark because I was waitlist as a miles upgrade. When I got to the airport, they told me it it did not clear and gave me seat 20A, not 14D which I had reserved. The lady at the counter said all the exit row seats were taken and there was nothing she could do about it. I was also dumped way to the bottom of the list for a battlefield upgrade.

If this is the case with the new system (i.e., you can not check in until you get to the airport and your chosen Y seat is not protected) I don't think this is an improvement. In all honesty, how many people have gotten mile-use upgrades inside the 24 hour window? That seems like the real change here. I would give that up to protect my 14C/D on a long 737 flight and, probably my 32A/F on a 777.

FWIW
DLM

PS, To close the loop on my POS adventure, I was paged at the gate and given 14C for no apparent reason just prior to boarding and 14B was empty. This is actually a combination I'll take over losing 15K mile on this route.
It would be nice if Scott would clarify this issue for us. If, at OLCI, you cannot hold onto the front or exit row seat you’ve picked when you booked the flight because you are waitlisted, despite the fact that CO has been holding onto your upgrade fee, then this is a bad policy and should be changed.
Old May 18, 2008, 4:39 am

Programs: CO Plat, Starwood Plat, Hyatt Plat, Hilton Diamond, CO Pres. Plus, Hertz #1 Gold
Originally Posted by rlbmorton
This has nothing to do with whether someone has the money or not to pay for the ticket. It has to do with what one chooses to do with their money. Before I could waitlist for a BF seat and only pay when it cleared. The money sat in my bank and I earned interest on it. Now I pay a month or two earlier and CO earns interest on it. I'd rather the money sit in my bank account not CO's so that I earn interest. Even wealthy people care about small amounts, in some cases (watching such issues) this is exactly how they got wealthy.

I find it sort of odd that we can complain about a $25 second bag fee or lack of AVOD on a plane (I bring my own laptop, ipod, and books) but think complaining about losing the interest on one's money somehow implies that the person is not financially entitled to fly BF!

That said, it is nice to be able to waitlist beyond the 24 hour mark for BF rather than see such seats go empty and I appreciate that new perk and thank Scott for it. But it does have a cost and CO will earn interest on not just my money being in their hands for longer, but others as well.
Thank you for putting more eloquently than I did what my original point was about CO taking the upgrade fee upfront and holding onto it.

Although I brought up the possibly rare instances of people stretched financially who would lose their money sooner, I have, to date, always chosen to buy an H fare, in order to take the 50% bump in EQM’s, and to pay a little bit more than I would’ve with a lower fare and upgrade fee.
Old May 18, 2008, 10:29 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by rlbmorton
This has nothing to do with whether someone has the money or not to pay for the ticket. It has to do with what one chooses to do with their money. Before I could waitlist for a BF seat and only pay when it cleared. The money sat in my bank and I earned interest on it. Now I pay a month or two earlier and CO earns interest on it. I'd rather the money sit in my bank account not CO's so that I earn interest. Even wealthy people care about small amounts, in some cases (watching such issues) this is exactly how they got wealthy.

I find it sort of odd that we can complain about a $25 second bag fee or lack of AVOD on a plane (I bring my own laptop, ipod, and books) but think complaining about losing the interest on one's money somehow implies that the person is not financially entitled to fly BF!

That said, it is nice to be able to waitlist beyond the 24 hour mark for BF rather than see such seats go empty and I appreciate that new perk and thank Scott for it. But it does have a cost and CO will earn interest on not just my money being in their hands for longer, but others as well.
I normally would agree with ya. But since my checking and /or savings accts pay so little anyway , no big deal.

I dont even think CO looked at it from that viewpoint. Heck, Ive purchased tkts for a couple of months in advance that cost alot more then $900

Now say you were earning 10% on your $$, then that $900 = $90 for a whole yr , since we are talking about maybe 2 months then its more like $15. I think at most , most people will lose out on maybe $3 in interest, since the % they earn is so low nowadays. I really dont think CO is looking to grab that $3, even times 100 tkts
Old May 18, 2008, 10:57 am

Programs: CO Plat & MP 1K
Originally Posted by craz
Now say you were earning 10% on your $$, then that $900 = $90 for a whole yr , since we are talking about maybe 2 months then its more like $15. I think at most , most people will lose out on maybe $3 in interest, since the % they earn is so low nowadays. I really dont think CO is looking to grab that $3, even times 100 tkts
Yeah I agree this isn't a huge amount of money and not a motivation for making the change in itself unless the numbers who get waitlisted are really much larger than I believe. I suspect they want the money up front so that they don't have to deal with billing issues at the last minute or at the gate. But I suspect that someone at CO did think about or notice the financial benefit, even if small.
Old May 18, 2008, 11:31 am

Originally Posted by craz
I dont even think CO looked at it from that viewpoint. Heck, Ive purchased tkts for a couple of months in advance that cost alot more then $900
Agreed 100%

IMHO this is done to streamline the upgrade process at the airport. Can you imagine what it would be like if the greycoats had to collect the $$$'s as well?
Old May 18, 2008, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
The only time I really ever waitlist for BF is to Hawaii, and that's for the miles + $ upgrade.

I really don't want to float CO the upgrade $$ until it clears. It's not a small amount of money. It's bad enough they take the miles when they put you on the list, but to take all that money is a bit excessive, IMHO.

I would agree paying a refundable fee or have the fee applied toward the upgrade, but to have to shell out about $900 (for 2) months in advance just to be on the list is a bit too much.
Old May 18, 2008, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by Mary2e
I would agree paying a refundable fee or have the fee applied toward the upgrade, but to have to shell out about $900 (for 2) months in advance just to be on the list is a bit too much.
<shrug> I disagree.

On one hand we can now standby at the airport on the day of departure; on the other we have to pony up both the miles (which is industry standard) and the cash. That seems like a fair trade.

The program's better off after the change and if the only issue is the $900 - which would have been an issue anyway if you cleared - than I'm not quite sure what to say.

Finally if you're going to HNL and are netrual to the upgrade you may want to consider a rev-up. It's in the 300's o/w for an elite ($350? IIRC) and there are no miles involved.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.