Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Continental Takes off for Heathrow Tonight! [29 March 08]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2008, 6:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: British Airways Executive Club, United Mileage Plus & bmi Diamond Club

This evening, CO28 departs Newark/Liberty International for London/Heathrows Terminal 4 becoming the first Continental Airlines flight to land at the worlds busiest international airport. 2 hours later CO4, another B777 operated flight will touch down from Houston/George Bush Intercontinental. CO32, another flight from Houston will touch down as a B767-200ER.
Old Mar 29, 2008, 7:14 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Rewards Platinum, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Great! And Terminal 4! Eat your hearts out BA passengers!
Old Mar 29, 2008, 7:17 am

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
Just be aware Heathrow has been having major problems with the opening of the new terminal 5:

British Airways Cancels Flights for a Third Day at Terminal 5

By Steve Rothwell

March 29 (Bloomberg) -- British Airways Plc canceled 54 flights today as the chaos at London Heathrow airport's new Terminal 5 stretched into a third day.

Europe's third-largest carrier plans to operate 293 of 347 flights, or about 85 percent of its services, from Terminal 5, according to an e-mailed statement. The London-based company pulled more than 100 flights during the first two days of the terminal's operation, after computer log-on failures for baggage handlers and delays at staff car parks sparked turmoil.

``This will clearly go on for days,'' said Howard Wheeldon, an analyst at BGC Partners LP in London. ``The potential for lasting damage to British Airways is far greater than anything that has gone before.''

I understand CO is using Terminal 4, but there could be some issues if anyone is connecting.
Old Mar 29, 2008, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
well, good luck to them, but I highly doubt that LHR will live up to their expectations.
Old Mar 29, 2008, 9:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by mauld
Just be aware Heathrow has been having major problems with the opening of the new terminal 5:
<snip>
I understand CO is using Terminal 4, but there could be some issues if anyone is connecting.
The issues will only be for onward connections. The cancellations from T5 will likely improve chances of on-time flights for everyone else, as the taxiways and takeoff slots will be slightly less used. At least that's the positive spin I'm putting on things.

I'm pretty amazed that they can't get the baggage thing figured out. This is like the opening of the new DEN all over again.
Old Mar 29, 2008, 9:48 am

Programs: Flying Nut
Well if BA keeps up this bad PR, CO might gain enough international BF passengers to pay for their slots at LHR.

I sure CO will do fine although I did hear at the Do in september that they did anticipate hicups on COs end as BA was to move out the night before the CO flights start coming in. Will have to wait and see how that trip report comes out later on this weekend.
Old Mar 29, 2008, 11:56 am

Programs: CO Elite Platinum
I am at EWR presently waiting for my flight to Tel Aviv and they appear to be setting up for a big celebration at the gate for this maiden voyage. I find this very strange/coincidental as the only other time I have ever flown overseas was CO's maiden flight to Amsterdam.

I guess I am the unspoken ambassador!
Old Mar 29, 2008, 1:48 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Rewards Platinum, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by DSA-IAH
I am at EWR presently waiting for my flight to Tel Aviv and they appear to be setting up for a big celebration at the gate for this maiden voyage. I find this very strange/coincidental as the only other time I have ever flown overseas was CO's maiden flight to Amsterdam.
I believe CO did a very nice celebration with Indian style and decor to inaugurate the New Delhi flight.

And I won't even speculate on what was done to inaugurate the AMS flight!
Old Mar 29, 2008, 1:56 pm

Location: Smoke filled room, TPA and FLL/MIA :UAL 1K and 2MM,AA EX PLAT and 2MM,Lifetime Plat Starwood
I think CO will find to LHR is a pain in the rump. I much prefer gatwick, and use both every month.
Old Mar 29, 2008, 3:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hilton, Marriott Rewards,SPG
Im on my way to EWR now. Stuck in nasty traffic heading into the Lincoln Tunnel.
Im flying in BF on CO28 this evening (I'm in seat 3L). From the sounds of it looks like its going to be a big deal at the gate.
I PM'd CO Insider and he said Jeff will be there to send off the flight. Dont know if its Jeff Misner or Jeff Smisek.

Any other FT'ers onboard???
Old Mar 29, 2008, 3:32 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by spainflyer
And I won't even speculate on what was done to inaugurate the AMS flight!
I'll speculate: women behind red-lighted glass doors and a fug of blue smoke in the air.
Old Mar 29, 2008, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: AA Plat / UA NOTHING / Alaska 75K / Hyatt Diamond / SPG LT Plat / Marriott Gold / Priority Club Plat / Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by RNE
I'll speculate: women behind red-lighted glass doors and a fug of blue smoke in the air.
Nice.^
Old Mar 29, 2008, 5:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hilton, Marriott Rewards,SPG
OK quick report on CO 28. Apologize in advance for the misspellings. Going fast here before the door closes. Dont want to forget anything.

Number of dignitaries spoke:
Jeff Smizek
Congressmen from Newark and Albio Sirios.
Chairman of PA/NY-NJ
Visit Britan spokesperson

They had a ribbon cutting ceremony with confettee and a live band (Shabby Road). Two palace guards were setup near the gate. Kinda looked cool.
Champagne served.

Also once I boarded we were each presented with a wood tea box with Continental Airlines Inaugral EWR-LHR flight with the date. Pretty nice actually.
Jeff walked through the cabin and I had a chance to talk to him. Mentioned that I was Platinum and he gave me the Waynes World "Im not worthy".
When I mentioned I was on flyertalk he lit up and smiled.
Also seems like the flight is REALLY over staffed (at least 2 concierges from what I can see) and flight attendants are all over us in BF. Fun time to say the least.
Signed up for the arrivals lounge and the concerge said someone would meet me in Heathrow.
Took pictures and will upload (if someone can give me a place to put them) when I land.

Only the downside, woman next to me spilled my scotch seconds after getting to her seat. Obviously a newbie.

Looks like they put a newer 777 on this route (at least this flight). We have AVOD and 110 without enpower adapters. Same amenity kit as before.
Old Mar 29, 2008, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by joebeenyc
Also once I boarded we were each presented with a wood tea box with Continental Airlines Inaugral EWR-LHR flight with the date. Pretty nice actually.
I'm guessing this was for BF pax only?

Originally Posted by joebeenyc
Looks like they put a newer 777 on this route (at least this flight). We have AVOD and 110 without enpower adapters. Same amenity kit as before.
N76010 for those who are interested.
Old Mar 29, 2008, 10:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
Originally Posted by entropy
well, good luck to them, but I highly doubt that LHR will live up to their expectations.
You're right about that!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.