Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Continental Takes off for Heathrow Tonight! [29 March 08]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Continental Takes off for Heathrow Tonight! [29 March 08]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2008, 12:46 am

That'll be the first and last time it ever shows, "Status: Arrived Gate On Time"
Old Mar 30, 2008, 3:15 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hilton, Marriott Rewards,SPG
Just got to the hotel. Of course my room isn't ready yet. ARGH!

Some initial thoughts on Flight CO 28 EWR-LHR

Jeff Smizek and Richard Quest from CNN were on the flight. Both were seated in BF and Jeff did an on board interview during the flight. Jeff was flying back to Houston today on the first CO flight from Heathrow. Never met him before but he seemed like a great fellow. Very personable and customer focused. Lots of PR people were on the flight including Susanna Thurston who had the pleasure of releasing the statement on the 737 tire blow out in IAH earlier in the week. Upon arrival there was press at the gate and dignitaries from BAA and British tourism authority. Also some local politicians and substantial press.

To the best of my knowledge only the BF passengers recieved the wood tea box. Service was exceptional on this flight. Probably the best I have ever recieved on a Continental flight in BF. They really wanted to shine on this launch and succeeded with flying colors. The service was terrific.

Heathrow is a zoo to say the least. We landed at 7:05am and had to wait on the tarmac for 30 mins for a BA 777 to be moved. Apparently it was occupying our assigned gate. No doubt with the T5 issues BA is having issues coordinating its gates. I was able to get through security in 8 mins which was a pleasant surprise.

The concierges at Heathrow were very accomidating but weren't organized to say the least. I asked for arrivals lounge access so I could shower and freshen up. Apparently I was the only passenger who asked for this service. They ran around with thier cell phones making calls and in the end were not able to provide access to any lounge. I stood there waiting for almost an hour for some traction before I just gave up.
On the plus side, they arraigned for a limo to take me from Heathrow to my hotel. This was paid for by Continental despite the fact I wasnt booked in F (I used a rewardone certificate for the booking).

All in all the service was great onboard and before the flight. However ops at the new station were rather disorganized. Obviously teething pains from setting up the new operation. One concierge I spoke to was just hired yesterday and hadn't been properly trained on procedures. Give it time and I am sure they will get this straightened out.
Old Mar 30, 2008, 8:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by joebeenyc
On the plus side, they arraigned for a limo to take me from Heathrow to my hotel. This was paid for by Continental despite the fact I wasnt booked in F (I used a rewardone certificate for the booking).
Will CO be offering limo service in general for paid J seats? That would be a nice perk but certainly not consistent with other J TATL routes.
Old Mar 30, 2008, 10:38 am
formerly bLuJaay

Here is the link to CNN's piece on the flight:

http://www.yahoo.com/s/845556
Old Mar 30, 2008, 10:46 am

Programs: LH, AB, SPG, CC, Sixt, EC
Thanks to the co-pilot for waving the US flag arriving at the gate in LHR That's basically all that CNN is showing in Europe.
Old Mar 30, 2008, 12:09 pm

Programs: Demoted to gold, Cats protection
Originally Posted by Scott6067
Well if BA keeps up this bad PR, CO might gain enough international BF passengers to pay for their slots at LHR.

I sure CO will do fine although I did hear at the Do in september that they did anticipate hicups on COs end as BA was to move out the night before the CO flights start coming in. Will have to wait and see how that trip report comes out later on this weekend.

curiously you're not wrong, despite being a "BA person" and occasionally *A, I am on this side of the fence looking at replacements for LHR-PHL, I have found BRS-EWR which appeals to me as BRS is a nice little airport close to where I live and my final destination is NJ anyway. Can anyone offer any comments on this route ???
For the moment my PHL flights are still at LHR T4 which has been a nightmare for years but should be better once BA move out alltogether,
Old Mar 30, 2008, 6:23 pm

Programs: HH Silver, MR Plat Prem & LT Plat, Hyatt Plat,SPG Plat, Hertz PC, National EE, UA 1K
Originally Posted by joebeenyc
Just got to the hotel. Of course my room isn't ready yet. ARGH!

Some initial thoughts on Flight CO 28 EWR-LHR

Wonder if you are one of the "geeks" Richard refered to as wanting to get on the first flight?
Old Mar 30, 2008, 6:30 pm

ABSOLUTELY! Guilty as charged.
Old Mar 31, 2008, 6:00 am

Link to EWR-LHR pics
http://community.webshots.com/album/562950781enawQE
Old Mar 31, 2008, 9:12 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold
I arrived at Heathrow this morning on CO 28 on its second day of operation. There was still some confusion regarding lounge access, but I eventually got access. The lounge facilities are the changing rooms in the LivingWell health club, downstairs in the Hilton attached to terminal 4. Pretty basic, but got the job done.

The concierge in EWR told me to ask the LHR concierge for a voucher for the Hilton. When I arrived at LHR and inquired with the concierge, she first told me that shower access had not yet been worked out, and then after consulting with her colleague, told me to go to the Yotel pod hotel in T4 rather than the Hilton. When I arrived at the Yotel, the staff there told me I actually needed to go to the Hilton after all. After confirming this with the staff at the CO ticket desk, I headed over to the Hilton and waited in a long line at reception (I had incorrectly assumed the arrangement was for a day room), where I was finally told where I really needed to go.

One other thing I noticed is that several other passengers in BF asked the flight attendants whether CO was handing out Fast Track immigration passes. I know that CO used to do this for BF passengers flying into LGW when LGW still had Fast Track immigration. The flight attendants didn't seem to know why they weren't being given out for LHR and whether this was policy or an oversight.
Old Mar 31, 2008, 2:01 pm

Programs: CO gold
I returned yesterday (March 30) on CO19 (LHR-EWR, 767 afternoon flight, 16L). Check-in and security (<5 min) remarkably smooth, much better than at recent LGW visits, but then, CO still use extra staffers (I chatted with my visa control guy, he normally works in Germany) and LHR might have done the same. Got some "welcome offers" vouchers, of which only the free Starbuck's cappuccino was remotely enticing.

Minor glitches at boarding: GA didn't at first know that elite status + coach fare entitles me to early boarding. This was resolved very quickly though. Other GA didn't let me take aforementioned cappuccino on board; after I'd sat down for a few minutes sipping it, a CO employee approached me and explained they had used the wrong airline's policy. (I had taken it to be an LHR thing.)

There were some bigger glitches in flight. AV broke down repeatedly, and they had already placed the April magazine in seat pockets, but of course AV was still programmed for March; it took the crew some research to figure out what was actually being shown. "Slightly embarrassing," to use the crew's own words. Something also went wrong regarding duty free.

Nonetheless, no big news overall. To repeat, the LHR experience was actually very good. Is this typical for T4 (which I've never used before) or dumb luck/special efforts? If it was representative, I'd actually choose LHR over Gatwick (which was a disaster on 3 out of the last 4 legs I travelled there), since it's also more convenient for my terminal destination.
Old Mar 31, 2008, 3:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K Million Miler, Marriott Ambassador (lifetime Platinum), Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by JonIND
I arrived at Heathrow this morning on CO 28 on its second day of operation. There was still some confusion regarding lounge access, but I eventually got access. The lounge facilities are the changing rooms in the LivingWell health club, downstairs in the Hilton attached to terminal 4. Pretty basic, but got the job done.

The concierge in EWR told me to ask the LHR concierge for a voucher for the Hilton. When I arrived at LHR and inquired with the concierge, she first told me that shower access had not yet been worked out, and then after consulting with her colleague, told me to go to the Yotel pod hotel in T4 rather than the Hilton. When I arrived at the Yotel, the staff there told me I actually needed to go to the Hilton after all. After confirming this with the staff at the CO ticket desk, I headed over to the Hilton and waited in a long line at reception (I had incorrectly assumed the arrangement was for a day room), where I was finally told where I really needed to go.

One other thing I noticed is that several other passengers in BF asked the flight attendants whether CO was handing out Fast Track immigration passes. I know that CO used to do this for BF passengers flying into LGW when LGW still had Fast Track immigration. The flight attendants didn't seem to know why they weren't being given out for LHR and whether this was policy or an oversight.
Where were you sitting? I was in 2D on this flight. Luckily, I have IrisScan, so I don't fret too much about the fast track, but the person in the row in front of me was really peeved about it. The ISM kept telling him (very nicely and professionally) that he's really sorry, but he can't give him the FastTrack because he doesn't have it and the guy just kept trying to get it from him! The ISM finally offered him a comment card and very respectfully recommended the guy fill it out, but the guy just said forget it. I experienced the same thing as you with Yotel, and even challenged the concierge on it when we landed but he insisted. I was probably the first one through due to the IrisScan (and judging by the fact I was the first at the Hilton and out before the next person I recognised was walking in) and was met at Yotel by a Continental employee that explained due to some problems on day 1 they used Yotel. I didn't think the Hilton was all that bad, but I hope that they get showers in a lounge that's not the long walk. They also need to do something with the lockers (who has pound coins just after landing!) I live here and didn't . . . Coming into T4 isn't too bad, except that you have to get to the T123 train station for Heathrow Express. Its simple enough, but when you land you just want to move on.

The flight wasn't anything special--standard BF service, although the flight crew was decent.

All things considered, I'd prefer LHR to LGW any day as long as I'm not connecting! so I'm happy this service is being offered. I do sort of wish this flight left an hour earlier from Newark, because in a perfect world, I can't be at work until 9:30/10:00 AM.
Old Apr 1, 2008, 5:12 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by EWR ATC Hold
Where were you sitting? I was in 2D on this flight.
Hey, I was almost right behind you, in 3E. Agreed about the service - fine, but nothing special. Many more people ordered the executive meal option than on previous BF flights I've taken into LGW and other European destinations, which seemed to substantially delay the start of the regular meal service.

I also observed, somewhat amusedly, the interaction between the ISM and the guy in 1E regarding Fast Track. I agree that the ISM was incredibly patient and respectful the whole time. The passenger seemed like he just wanted to argue - not sure what he wanted the ISM to actually do about the situation.
Old Apr 1, 2008, 7:23 am
Suspended

Programs: United 1K, HHonors Gold, MR Gold
Considering Co into LGW out of LHR in late April

The group that is organizing my trip to speak at a conference in London in April won't let me book my preferred airline (BA) in J because it's too expensive, and have recommended Continental, Delta, Icelandair or Air France instead. I can find a decent, direct fare in J on Continental EWR-LGW, LHR-EWR in late April, returning May 1. I've got Gold status with Flying Blue.

By May 1, will Continental have arranged lounge access and Fast Track security clearance for its J passengers at Heathrow? Would I be better off trying to get a flight departing from Gatwick instead? I'll probably be in the City during the early part of the day.

I note also that I'm going to have to fly on May 1 and I recall that, when I used to live in London, it used to be a bit of a zoo on that day, due to protesters in the streets. Has this calmed down in the past few years?
Old Apr 1, 2008, 7:51 am

Programs: United GS, lifetime Starwood Plat, Marroitt Gold,
Originally Posted by JonIND

I am traveling Flt 28 tonight in BF....I have a connection in T4 onward to Venice and curious whether the arrivals shower facility access has been worked out. Any help would be great. Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.