Inconsistent Catering

Old Feb 11, 08, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: CO Platinum 1K, United 1K, SPG LT Platinum, National Executive Elite, Platinum TSA Hater
Inconsistent Catering

Not to nitpick, but I noticed an odd inconsistency with lunch catering IAH/SFO between last month and today...

January -

choice of entree, hot (burrito) or salad
cholesterol...err California vegetable soup
fruit cup
cookies
plastic salt/pepper shaker
fresh baked cookies prior to arrival

February (today) -

choice of entree, cold (chicken wrap) or salad (no hot choice)
broccoli cheese soup
fruit cup
dentists delight candy
paper salt/pepper packet
no fresh baked cookies

Was there a catering change of some kind?
Old Feb 11, 08, 6:44 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat,Priority Club Plat
Menu changes every month. I would have enjoyed the chicken wrap. I had one today at banjos at CLE. At least that is better than that vegetarian lasagna they severed 12 years ago, and to top it off 1 almond delight as well.
Old Feb 11, 08, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: CO Platinum 1K, United 1K, SPG LT Platinum, National Executive Elite, Platinum TSA Hater
I can see the entree and soup choice changing, but it was odd to put out the paper salt/pepper packet, not serve the cookies (part of the mid-con lunch menu) and just offer the dentist's delight for dessert.

The service itself was a bit odd - instead of coming around with a bed basket, the FA just put a random roll on each tray, so everyone got different rolls rather than being able to choose.

Not a complaint here, just an observation; I've found the meal service and supplies on CO to be pretty consistent.
Old Feb 11, 08, 7:50 pm
Suspended

i would say yawn...but, i would get yelled out.

so, hmmm....how do i put this......

you say you don't want to nitpick but isn't that what you are doing (i.e., nitpicking)? i mean, you do know that you spent a paragraph on bread basket observations, right?

Last edited by fly co to see the yanks; Feb 11, 08 at 11:04 pm
Old Feb 11, 08, 7:59 pm

Programs: UA lifetime gold; Hilton Gold; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by fly co to see the yanks View Post

you say you don't want to nitpick but isn't that what you are doing (i.e., nitpicking)? i mean, you do know that you spent a paragraph on break basket observations, right?
You should have just yawned.
Old Feb 12, 08, 12:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Diamond, B6 Mosaic, AS MPV Gold, UA Gold MM, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by bocastephen View Post
The service itself was a bit odd - instead of coming around with a bed basket, the FA just put a random roll on each tray, so everyone got different rolls rather than being able to choose.
I've had one flight attendant who did that, and it's annoying. It's pretty lazy too, and wasn't such a big deal back when the rolls were all the same on non-transcon domestic flights. But now that even the single-choice salad only flights (like IAH-ATL) get a bread basket with a nice variety of rolls, they should be served from the basket.

I've had the paper salt and pepper packets a couple of times, but it's usually the shakers. That doesn't really bother me much, although the shakers are a nice touch. The lack of cookies might have been a catering mistake. I've been on flights that were supposed to have them where catering forgot to load them before.

As for the Russell Stover almond delight candy, it's back at the moment. However, it has been alternating with the Pepperidge Farm cookies, so I doubt it's back as an exclusive dessert for lunch/snack flights.
Old Feb 12, 08, 12:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
As for the Russell Stover almond delight candy, it's back at the moment. However, it has been alternating with the Pepperidge Farm cookies, so I doubt it's back as an exclusive dessert for lunch/snack flights.
that dentist's delight is gross. I'm very glad they started adding the pepperidge farm cookies.
Old Feb 12, 08, 12:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

you say you don't want to nitpick but isn't that what you are doing (i.e., nitpicking)? i mean, you do know that you spent a paragraph on bread basket observations, right?
This is Flyertalk...we all observe things and report on what we see and experience. I don't think there is anything wrong with posting my experience today - but since it's a matter of 'victuals', I guess that caught your ire
Old Feb 12, 08, 5:22 am
Suspended

This is Flyertalk...we all observe things and report on what we see and experience. I don't think there is anything wrong with posting my experience today - but since it's a matter of 'victuals', I guess that caught your ire
it didn't catch my "ire"...but it did catch my attention.

i (begrudgingly) agree with this statement. that wasn't my point. my point was that you start off your post saying: "not to nitpick" and then you basically nitpick, no? i mean, say "not to nitpick" if it makes you feel better. but, a paragraph on bread presentation is nitpicking, no?

and, does the salt/pepper taste differently whether it comes from the paper packets versus the tiny faux shakers? and, if it doesn't, would this be nitpicking?
Old Feb 12, 08, 9:48 am

Programs: United 1K,Marriott Platinum Premier,IHC Platinum Ambassador,Hilton Gold
I dont like the dentist delight (Stover candy) the Milano cookies are a better option for me..and as for the FA putting a roll on my tray I could care less..its just a roll for crying outloud..
Old Feb 12, 08, 10:04 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by CAL PHL FLYER View Post
I dont like the dentist delight (Stover candy) the Milano cookies are a better option for me..and as for the FA putting a roll on my tray I could care less..its just a roll for crying outloud..
1) i'd love to see some milanos, biscotti, and/or doritos in the presidents club.

2) regarding the roll presentation: nail, head.
Old Feb 12, 08, 11:01 am

The roll thing may seem trivial but good service is built upon consistency. When you consistently have your choice of your favorite roll then suddenly don't, you notice it (as is evidenced by this post). That shouldn't happen.

It's one of those things that a first time CO flier might consciously or subconsciously take notice of. All of the little things do matter.

In defense of the FA though, the bread basket and/or tongs may have been left out of the catering supplies. This happens from time to time.
Old Feb 12, 08, 11:05 am

Programs: Amtrak Select Plus, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hilton Silver
I have veneers and wouldn't dare touch that Delight thing. If they need to do just candy, at least make it a truffle or something.
Old Feb 12, 08, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

and, does the salt/pepper taste differently whether it comes from the paper packets versus the tiny faux shakers? and, if it doesn't, would this be nitpicking?
It's hard to tell, since the packets contain about 8 grains of both. The shakers have more quantity, and are a nicer presentation. Again, not nitpicking - just observing that packets made a sudden appearance when shakers have been the standard for as long as I can remember.
Old Feb 12, 08, 1:20 pm
Suspended

It's hard to tell, since the packets contain about 8 grains of both.
maybe the continental (CO) chefs get offended if you do too much self-seasoning.

Search this Thread