Search

Does CO monitor itin searches...

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2008, 1:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
Does CO monitor itin searches...

...and decide what to make available?

I ask because I logged in to CO.com trying to figure out my next DC - (MEX or TLC) trip; after checking different days and airports the EWR-MEX routing never came up. Had to do a multiple segment search for it to finally come up in H. But after 20 minutes of searching I lost track of all the options so I started completely over and taking notes.

Lo and Behold, DCA-EWR-MEX comes up on the first new search in T.

Sure, someone could have cancelled, but are they savvy enough to monitor searches and adjust fare buckets accordingly?
Old Jan 29, 2008, 2:04 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
I don't think so - but I am not sure. I recently did a couple searches for a flight from DCA-SRQ - and after a few times - a cheaper fare code opened up - and hence purchased the ticket.
Old Jan 29, 2008, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
I doubt it, if they did they'd see everyone trying to book SFO-TLV, or LAX-TLV, or LAX-ATH, in J less than 2 weeks out and abandon their search due to no availability in F on the transcon.
Old Jan 29, 2008, 2:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA just 8800 mi short of Silver
I think it just seems that they do. After I search for what I want, and then check my schedule to see if I can go, by the time I book it, the fare is up $100
Old Jan 29, 2008, 5:38 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by Section 107
...are they savvy enough to monitor searches and adjust fare buckets accordingly?
I hope CO tracks that stuff! If not, they need a new IT director.* I make sure the websites I oversee track that stuff. But we adjust things to our advantage, not yours.

*My salary and benefit demands will be in the mail, Lar' Baby.
Old Jan 29, 2008, 6:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by RNE
I hope CO tracks that stuff! If not, they need a new IT director.*
Sorry. channa is ahead of you on the list
Old Jan 29, 2008, 7:32 pm

I have often wondered about them tracking searches. I agree with RNE, if the don't on some level I would wonder why not. I guess the bigger question is whether they do anything with the data real time. Part of me thinks it would be interesting revenue management, another thinks it would be dirty pool.
Old Jan 29, 2008, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by xyzzy
Sorry. channa is ahead of you on the list
Plus I've never called Larry "Baby." I may not always have agreed with the guy, but not sure how many projects I could get funded by calling the big boss "Baby."
Old Jan 30, 2008, 3:53 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by channa
Plus I've never called Larry "Baby."
That's because you're not as tight with Lar' Baby as I am.
Old Jan 30, 2008, 6:27 pm

I have always wondered this as well, They know so much about their frequent users they could easily adjust fares into a sweetspot they know you'd buy (that could be up or down).

Kind of scary actually.
Old Jan 30, 2008, 6:34 pm

The problem is that you can always use another website to search as an unknown user. Then if you don't get the same price on co.com, there's the low fare guarantee...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.