Wiki Posts
Search

Finally a Code Share to CAI

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2008, 5:56 pm
RNE
Original Poster

Finally a Code Share to CAI

Many moons ago I came to FlyerTalk ostensibly to question and complain about CO having no code shares flights to CAI. Lo and behold! Now CO does!

Ata'boy, Lar' Baby! Now, if you could just get me there on your metal. Delta can.*

This post of course is of no interest to anyone but me--and the millions who love me.

*Get the pun? Metal. Can. Har, har! I'm so good!
Old Jan 7, 2008, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA-2MM; GalacticXpress-Irridium
Originally Posted by RNE
Stick to the topless DO stories, they're more interesting.

Kidding
Old Jan 7, 2008, 6:18 pm
RNE
Original Poster

I thought you'd never ask!

Originally Posted by kingalien
Stick to the topless DO stories, they're more interesting.
Only about a month away now! Can't wait! This is a very exclusive Do, of course. One of the expected attendees is a Mr. Karry Lellner. Not sure who that could be. Hmmm.
Old Jan 7, 2008, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA-2MM; GalacticXpress-Irridium
So Kar' Baby is attending a topless DO

Old Jan 8, 2008, 11:49 am

Location: EWR, USA, AA 1MM Gold, United Premier Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Emerald Club Executive
Originally Posted by RNE
Many moons ago I came to FlyerTalk ostensibly to question and complain about CO having no code shares flights to CAI. Lo and behold! Now CO does!

Ata'boy, Lar' Baby! Now, if you could just get me there on your metal. Delta can.*

This post of course is of no interest to anyone but me--and the millions who love me.

YYYAAAAAYYYYY!!! Aside from you RNE, I too am probably one of the only ones who would be psyched about this. I travel to and from CAI quite a bit as does most of my family and friends. I finally convinced my mother to stop flying the "bus" to and from CAI (aka Egyptair) and got her hooked to Skyteam.

Now if they can only get us a true CO metal EWR-CAI nonstop.....

BTW - who is operating the codeshare?

Last edited by eagle92; Jan 8, 2008 at 12:04 pm
Old Jan 8, 2008, 12:46 pm

Programs: CO
Delta is operating it. I don't see any award flights up on CO's site, are these flights not yet bookable ?
Old Jan 8, 2008, 1:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I don't see it on the co.com timetable nor the downloadable one (CAI isn't a viable destination).

Operated by DL means it is probably the JFK-CAI flight, and CO generally doesn't allow for code-shares without a connecting flight, so trying to book the non-stop on the CO code probably won't work, which isn't so good for all the NYC folks.
Old Jan 8, 2008, 1:35 pm

I believe that I have seen it available via CDG on AF, though that may have just been a reward ticket.
Old Jan 8, 2008, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kommissar Giga-Posting Direktor, PWP; Fasano Nouveau Aristocrat; CO Platinum; BD Gold; MR Gold
Does it even matter whether a particular destination that already is served by one of CO's partners is a codeshare? From a mileage-earing potential, the EQM's and RDM's earned flying AF via CDG, for example, would be the same whether one booked the ticket through CO or AF. Same for DL. In fact, when it comes to KL, it might be better to book directly with KL rather than booking the flights as CO codeshares because low KL fare classes earn 100% EQM's.

From a reward redemption perspective, I do not see why it would make any difference whether the route was a codeshare; there still must be reward availability in the passenger's desired class of service and reward type. That is, unless routes that are codeshared with CO somehow have more reward availability, which they do not, to my knowledge.

So, why would it matter whether the new DL flight is a CO codeshare? If you purchase a ticket on the flight, you will earn the same amount of EQM's and RDM's that you would if it were not a codeshare. If you redeem a reward on the flight, it will cost the same as non-codeshared flights to CAI.

The same analysis applies to AF and KL, except that if purchasing a low coach fare on KL, it is better not to purchase the ticket directly from CO in order to fly on a 100% EQM-earning KL fare class.

Am I missing something? What substantial benefits are there to booking already existing flights as codeshares as opposed to non-codeshares? Is it just to be able to book such flights on a single ticket?

Last edited by CO 1E; Jan 8, 2008 at 5:58 pm Reason: confusing language
Old Jan 8, 2008, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A festering pit; a pustule of a fistula set athwart the miasmic swamps of the armpit of the Gulf of Mexico - a Godforsaken wart upon a dark crevasse of the World. (IAH)
Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by sbm12
I don't see it on the co.com timetable nor the downloadable one (CAI isn't a viable destination).

Operated by DL means it is probably the JFK-CAI flight, and CO generally doesn't allow for code-shares without a connecting flight, so trying to book the non-stop on the CO code probably won't work, which isn't so good for all the NYC folks.
What about a connecting U.S. Helicopter segment (they service DL at JFK). I wonder if it would be possible to string such an itin together...
Old Jan 8, 2008, 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by sbm12

You can book a codeshare DL/AF combination via Paris, but not via CO. I flew AZ to Cairo via MXP in late 2006... got my OnePass miles, but it was an AZ ticket and a combination of AZ/DL metal.
Old Jan 8, 2008, 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by cptlflyer
You can book a codeshare DL/AF combination via Paris, but not via CO. I flew AZ to Cairo via MXP in late 2006... got my OnePass miles, but it was an AZ ticket and a combination of AZ/DL metal.
I could also just book one of the many itineraries that involve connecting to AF 508 which is CDG-CAI service and which shows up on co.com when I do a search.

I tend to agree with CO 1E that it doesn't matter too much to have the code-share except to facilitate booking on co.com. If it isn't a code-share and not on a partner that CO makes available online then you'd have to book with a 3rd party site or on the phone which could affect 50% EQM numbers unless you know to reserve the first segment and then call the co.com helpdesk to have them add the other segment(s), which is not a skill that many other than those on here probably know about.

Putting in TSS-CAI results in EWR & CDG connections. I believe that in some cases the code-share require connecting to/from a CO-operated flight, though that may just be the AA Eagle flights in southern California.
Old Jan 8, 2008, 5:18 pm
RNE
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MBM3
I believe that I have seen it available via CDG on AF, though that may have just been a reward ticket.
Right you are, MBM3. The code share I saw was with AF.

Separately, I was checking Delta's site and discovered their JFK-CAI, but it is awaiting governmental approval. I happened to stray from continental.com to book flights on Delta to BCN for the Statuesque Mrs. RNE and me. Delta has 767 service, which we prefer to CO's 757. I booked the Delta ticket in K class to get full EQMs, and the fare was still substantially cheaper than CO on this Thanksgiving trip. Sorry, Lar' Baby. You've got too much narrow metal and your beloved Boeing is falling behind on deliveries. Bummer.
Old Jan 8, 2008, 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by RNE
Right you are, MBM3. The code share I saw was with AF.
Is it actually a code-share or just the AF flight number showing up on co.com? I get AF508 on the search results but not a CO number on the same flight. CO is getting much better about adding partner flights as add-ons to CO service, and AF came online back in September '07.
Old Jan 9, 2008, 1:48 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by CO 1E
Am I missing something? What substantial benefits are there to booking already existing flights as codeshares as opposed to non-codeshares? Is it just to be able to book such flights on a single ticket?
I was wondering the exact same thing. Perhaps if it meant that you might see some discount for booking a single ticket, but I haven't found CO to offer especially attractive pricing on the codeshares I have seen (usually AF or KL connections), and they often have flat-out ridiculous pricing that means unbundling the flights is the way to go anyway.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.