Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Who declares a medical emergency?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2007, 6:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Frankly, it sounds like the crew on the OP's flights were just plain disorganized. If nobody called the paramedics, then why the heck were they in the jetway trying to board the freaking flight!?!

A simple announcement is usually made: "Passengers, please stay seated until the paramedics have boarded the aircraft and we give the okay for you to move about the cabin. Once again, please remain seated while the paramedics board the aircraft. Thank you for your cooperation."

I had a wonderful flight where the word "Seattle Police" was substituted for "paramedics", but that's another story...
Old Oct 31, 2007, 7:53 pm

CO contracts with MEDLINK to advise its crews on medical issues (including whether a diversion is warranted). While it is the "Captain's Ship", I can't imagine any flight deck member willing to risk a lawsuit by continuing on to a destination when MEDLINK advises to divert.
Old Oct 31, 2007, 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by formeraa
If nobody called the paramedics, then why the heck were they in the jetway...
I'd say they wouldn't be there unless someone called them sooo...someone must have called them - doesn't have to be the pilot (see my theory above).
Old Oct 31, 2007, 8:49 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum; Harrah's Diamond; Hilton Diamond
As a Physician who loves to travel, I have been called on several times to help out in a medical emergency. I always carry a wallet copy of my medical license (for verification so I can get into the medical kit if needed without hassles). Twice, on my advice, we ended up diverting; once on CO (ANC-IAH, diverted to AMA) and once on NW (HNL-MSP, diverted to SFO). I found both crews to be very appreciative of my efforts. Medlink was interesting to deal with...they were very nice, but essentially functioned to assure the Captain that I knew what I was talking about. Overall interesting experiences, but in the future I hope to avoid being half-way between HNL and SFO sitting next to a woman who is probably having a heart attack. (I had to go back to coach to take of her, no less ).
Old Oct 31, 2007, 8:50 pm

Programs: CO Platinum(x8), CO Million Miler Charter Member
Treatmen is definitely an option

Originally Posted by sfogate
Treatment by the SFO Fire Department is provided by our tax dollars.

Response by Channa:
"Treatment" would tend to imply they do something. I don't think they do much other than call an ambulance."

My response:
There is most certainly the ability to do treatment at various levels in flight depending on the certification and abilities of the onboard medical personnel. The medical bag contains numerous drugs for patient stabilization.

MedCom is an invaluable resource in flight but the call to divert is usually up to the onboard medical personnel.

As far as liability is concerned, the "Good Samatitan" laws in every state protect not just medical personnel but all who render aid without compensation within the limits of their abilities and training as long as they are not grossly negligent.

I personally have had to call two diverts and CO did so without question.

To land from almost 40000 feet in less than 15 minutes while keeping the plane essentially horizontal was a true testament to the skill of the crew.

Smokey REMT (35 years)
Old Oct 31, 2007, 9:53 pm

Programs: Former COA Silver; AVIS Chairmans Club; AOPA
EnRoute Medical Emergencies

I have to echo the prior poster's response to channa. In many jurisdictions throughout the US, the EMTs (Emergency Medical Technicians) are under the auspices of the Fire Department. EMTs are qualified and certified to evaluate and treat on scene emergencies --- including starting IVs, reading EKG (cardiac) rhythms, using electroconversion to correct certain arrhythmias --- and essentially function as an in-the-field Intensive/Cardiac Care Unit. In most jurisdictions, the EMT truck (which is fully equipped) does not transport patients. They stabilize the patient, communicate by radio with the Emergency Room Physician (at times getting addtional help from that doctor) at their local hospital, and then follow the separate ambulance which actually transports the patient to the hospital.

My opinion of MedLink is rather "limp" since an onboard traveller/physician can render a much more accurate opinion as to the level of acuity (seriousness) of the problem and the action to be taken (with whatever is available on the aircraft) while enroute to the destination airport.

I am a Gastroenterologist, so one could make a case that I am not qualified to evaluate medical/cardiac emergencies. But actually, many specialties (Internal Medicine, Cardiology, Gastroenterology, Anesthesia, etc.) are required to take an 8 hour annual course to maintain our ACLS (Advanced Cardiac Life Support) accreditation in order to keep our hospital admitting privileges. I'm up to date!

As stated earlier, the Universal Good Samaritan Act is law in every state in the US --- protecting licensed medical & nursing personal from law suits unless there is overwhelming proof of gross incompetence during the rendering of care.

Two additional comments:
(1) I have been asked by the Captain to show a copy of my NJ Medical License (a miniature copy of which I carry in my wallet) each time I have been called upon to render medical assistance.
(2) On one occasion I was called from the FC cabin to Coach to evaluate an elderly woman with an acute onset of a focal pain in the midline of the upper abdomen, just below the sternum. Her vital signs (BP & Pulse & Respirations) were normal and the pain disappeared within minutes of a good "belch" -- indicating that she just had an air bubble trapped in the stomach. Keep in mind that, like a balloon, the stomach and intestine and urinary bladder distend at cabin altitude (around 8,000 feet pressurization when the plane is at 36,000 feet) -- causing discomfort in those areas, sometimes painful. In this case the Newark police, EMTs and ambulance squad met us at the gate --- but the patient and her family refused the trip to the hospital, as is her prerogative. For my services the FA & Captain thanked me and presented me with a bottle of their finest Champagne (Vintage: Tuesday).

Last edited by N9MD; Oct 31, 2007 at 10:31 pm
Old Oct 31, 2007, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by smokey
My response:
There is most certainly the ability to do treatment at various levels in flight depending on the certification and abilities of the onboard medical personnel. The medical bag contains numerous drugs for patient stabilization.
Thank you for your post, and for helping on board.

My reference to inability to treat was regarding the airport paramedics, not the in-flight crew and volunteer doctors (who were great).

In my experience, the airport paramedics only interested in calling an ambulance or getting you to sign a release form. In our case, had they not met the plane, we would've been out of there more quickly, so they were a detriment in that regard.
Old Nov 1, 2007, 3:38 am

Originally Posted by smokey
MedCom is an invaluable resource in flight but the call to divert is usually up to the onboard medical personnel.
This is not a correct statement on CO metal and who is "MedCom"? We use MEDLINK.

I personally have had to call two diverts and CO did so without question.
Dates (including year)? Flights? Diversion City?
Old Nov 1, 2007, 8:07 am

Originally Posted by CO757
CO contracts with MEDLINK to advise its crews on medical issues (including whether a diversion is warranted). While it is the "Captain's Ship", I can't imagine any flight deck member willing to risk a lawsuit by continuing on to a destination when MEDLINK advises to divert.
Could it become a safety issue for having to divert with a full load of fuel? Such as having to make a heavy landing.
Old Nov 1, 2007, 8:11 am

It depends a lot on who is actually on board to provide treatment. If there are no medical personnel (rare but possible), MedLink will have full control of the situation. If there are qualified medical personnel then the call would probably be coordinated between them AND MedLink.

MedLink doctors are trained in medical air emergencies and may have a little more insight/experience in a particular condition, maybe not.
Old Nov 1, 2007, 8:13 am

Originally Posted by delpreston
Could it become a safety issue for having to divert with a full load of fuel? Such as having to make a heavy landing.
Sure. This would be one case where the Captain would have reason to influence the decision.
Old Nov 1, 2007, 1:32 pm

Location: various cities in the USofA: NYC, BWI, IAH, ORD, CVG, NYC
Programs: Former UA 1K, National Exec. Elite
Originally Posted by N9MD
(1) I have been asked by the Captain to show a copy of my NJ Medical License (a miniature copy of which I carry in my wallet) each time I have been called upon to render medical assistance.
I should remind the better half to carry her hospital ID when we travel.

What is done when someone claims to be a doctor but cannot prove it? I can see calling in for verification when the "emergency" is not critical, or if there are multiple physicians on board. However, if the patient needs immediate attention/action that delay might cause some serious harm.

On a related note, would CO/the pilot allow a foreign doctor to assist on a domestic flight? How about an international flight?
Old Nov 1, 2007, 2:25 pm

FA screwed up announcement

I was on the same flight in the front of the plane. Before landing, the FAs were discussing the need to tell passengers to remain seated while the paramedics boarded. On touchdown, the FA making the landing announcement read the landing script from his cheat sheet and forgot the part about telling passengers to remain seated. Because the woman's vitals were stable upon landing, and because of the PA screw up, they let people deplane before the paramedics boarded.
Old Nov 1, 2007, 4:57 pm

Programs: Premier 1K, 1 mm
Two years ago returning from BRS (UK) to EWR, my wife passed out, She was attended by a nephrologist (kidney) doctor/passenger, and was on the galley floor for 1.5 hours She was then moved to the one empty B/F seat, with IV, for the last 2 hours. Initially, the captain tried to contact someone on the ground but a F/A told us he could get no one.

In any event, we went on to EWR and EMTs arrived at the galley door using an old fashioned and very tall set of tall rolling stairs. We were given the choice of her being carried down or walking the 30 or 40 narrow stairs. She chose to walk. At the bottom, she was given the choice of getting in an ambulance and going to a hospital or walking back up the stairs to exit via the jetway, We chose to go back up and exit via the jeyway.

When we were waiting to pick up bags, the doctor saw us and chastised us for not going directly to the hospital. We did go to our own doctor, who admitted us to the hospital. Two days of tests with nothing bad detected, but a few months later she was found to have advanced ovarian cancer. Now two years later she looks and feels great but is undergoing a third round of chemo to clean up a return of some cancer spots.

I cannot praise the Continental crew of that flight more. They were beside the doctor and my wife the whole time. We sent the doctor a note of thanks with flowers.

Jack
Old Nov 1, 2007, 6:16 pm

Over the water is a 'dead zone' and difficult to contact anyone.

Hope Mrs. Jsmcnabb gets well soon.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.