Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

CO Denied Me Boarding Because I Had No Pants On

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CO Denied Me Boarding Because I Had No Pants On

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2007, 9:28 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, ex-AA EXP, ex-UA 1K
Originally Posted by skipie
To be honest, when I was younger, I loved dressing up for air travel, as it was a rare experience. Now that it is a regular thing, I try to do it as comfortably as possible (while being considerate of others). But, if anyone has any reasonable suggestions, please pass them on...
Although I'm not female, I do know from female friends and family members (those who fly regularly) that there are plenty of comfortable types of attire aside from tracksuits. My mom wears loose Eileen Fisher knits. My stepmom wears a lightweight cashmere cardigan over a thin cotton tee. My best friend wears dark jeans with some stretch to them, and a casual blazer over a silk tee.

Btw I think the problem some people have with your outfit -- aside from the fact that tracksuits cross the border into too casual -- is that ... well, the Juicy Couture thing peaked about five years ago, and these days it's the type of thing one generally associates with Carmela Soprano types (as in stereotypical shellacked-haired, four-inch-nailed North Jersey woman, not Mafia wife!).

But, then again, I can't complain given that I can't even remember the last time I flew not wearing either jeans or shorts -- which I imagine some of you would find horrific -- and I'm usually in FC or BF. I think it's silly to scold someone for wearing shorts flying between, say, Austin and Washington in mid-August, to use a real-life recent example. I'd be sweating like a pig in denim or anything heavier than a t-shirt the instant I stepped out into DC's 90-degree-plus, 90-percent-humidity air.
Old Sep 23, 2007, 10:59 am

Talking

The dream of every airline employee is to buy a real ticket, get a reserved seat and dress in shorts, a holey t-shirt and flip flops and order a special meal.
Old Sep 23, 2007, 11:08 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, ex-AA EXP, ex-UA 1K
Originally Posted by sfogate
The dream of every airline employee is to buy a real ticket, get a reserved seat and dress in shorts, a holey t-shirt and flip flops and order a special meal.
I might wear shorts, but holey t-shirts and flip-flops? No freakin' way!
Old Sep 23, 2007, 12:51 pm

That's because you haven't spent your whole airline career watching paying passengers dress how ever they want, while you travel as an airline employee in "formal banking attire".....it's a pipe dream to dress as crappy as you can on a real ticket and no one can tell you that you can't board because of the way you are dressed! I have denied many an airline staff (on passes) a seat on the plane due to the manner of which they are dressed.
Old Sep 24, 2007, 11:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Old Days

Originally Posted by sfogate
I think this was from the old days of non-rev travel though... when the airlines enforced a strict dresscode, domestic first class privledges were abundant, and meals were served... let alone special ones
Old Sep 24, 2007, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
If you want to wear it fine. Just please do not smell, show off your junk, bring a spit cup or throw up sitting next to me. The last two happend to me both on my MR.

If you are wearing a pair of juicy pants and you are actually juicy expect an appreciative glance from me, if you are not juicy expect a WTH look from me.
Old Sep 24, 2007, 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by Weatherboy
I think this was from the old days of non-rev travel though... when the airlines enforced a strict dresscode, domestic first class privledges were abundant, and meals were served... let alone special ones
We still have a dress code although it has been relaxed somewhat. Still can't wear sweats, shorts, t-shirts, flesh baring clothes nor flip-flops. Jeans are finally allowed but only in coach.
Old Sep 24, 2007, 5:41 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, United Plat
As long as your attire is legal, I don't care what you wear and can't imagine why anyone would.

Sometimes I travel in a suit, sometimes I travel biz casual, sometimes I travel in flip-flops/jeans/tshirt. I hope I haven't offended any of your delicate sensibilities.
Old Sep 25, 2007, 5:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Dress Codes

While the non-rev dress code continues to evolve over time, has CO ever had a dress code for passengers ....even back in the regulated "old days" when they had an international F cabin?
Old Jan 31, 2008, 2:28 pm

Programs: UA 3.6MM, AF/KL Lifetime Plat, BA Gold, AA 1MM, IC Spire RA, Kimpton IC, Marriott Plat, et alia
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
that SWN is offended about that gorgeous young woman wearing a mini-shorts and a skin-tight string top w/ that even-tighter crop sweater over those artificial....just a sec....
It's not the gorgeous ones that offend.

It's the fashion victims who should legally be estopped from wearing what they're wearing, for the sake of innocent people who have to look at this.

Muffin-top (or muffin-top girl) is a generally pejorative, slang term used for a person, usually female, whose flabby midsection spills over the waistline of his or her pants in a manner that resembles the top of a muffin spilling over its paper casing.

This generally occurs when an individual wears low-rise, hip-hugger pants, or midriff-baring tops that are too small.
Some photos with varying levels of muffin tops (rate them to see more):
www.muffintop.org

Last edited by vsevolod4; Jan 31, 2008 at 2:34 pm
Old Jan 31, 2008, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
Originally Posted by vsevolod4;9169126
[url
www.muffintop.org[/url]
Is that what I think...yeah it really is.
Old Jan 31, 2008, 2:39 pm

Programs: UA 3.6MM, AF/KL Lifetime Plat, BA Gold, AA 1MM, IC Spire RA, Kimpton IC, Marriott Plat, et alia
Simple Solution: Segregate the cabins!

I actually have a simple solution to this: Planes used to be configured with separate Smoking and Non-Smoking sections. Let's use this infrastructure to create "Stylish" and "Non-Stylish" sections. And if you have children, are not properly dressed, have open-ear headphones blaring rap "music" at 140 decibels, are prone to chatting to your seatmate, use your cellphone for anything other than text messaging/email, or otherwise are liable to disturb anyone, you're "Non-Stylish." (Or reverse the letters and have "Screaming" and "Non-Screaming")

Aah, the dream of having a cabin where people remember the days when "First Class" meant "Elegant" ... I don't buy any of the "you paid the price; you can wear anything you want" or "hey, half the companies are 'business casual' so this allows me to dress like a Greyhound Bus or WN traveler" argument. After all, the vast majority of Michelin Three-Star Restaurants either have a jacket-and-tie dress code, or at least a "no jeans, no shorts, don't dress like a slob, and for Fudd's sake, no Juicy Couture or track suits!" policy. Doesn't matter how much you pay, or how "comfortable" you want to be.

But for the people who do not look forward to an elegant experience, there is always T.G.I. Friday's. So my solution of having "S" and "NS" sections accommodates both the classy and the Casual crowd, in fact enhances each of their experiences!
Old Jan 31, 2008, 3:12 pm

Programs: BA GLD for LIfe, AA PLT 2 MM miler, B6 Mosaic, Star GLD; HH Diamond; Marriott PLT, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by rapopoda
The whole thing is utterly moronic. I say its far more appropriate to ban those with halitosis, body odor and the obese: There, the flying public is genuinely subject to offensive behaviour. Clothing??? So long as the clothing doesn't have racist text on it or it doesn't stink, then who gives a f*ck really?
I agree. But, this thread made me laugh and then made me recall a time when I was on the offensive side of things. I had spent a year of grad school at Stanford and then took a job in New York and flew back to Stanford for a week of vacation. This thread brought back a memory -- I spent the last afternoon, evening and night of that trip with a very stimulating young woman and we were too engaged with each other to sleep. At 6 AM, I desperately needed a shower before heading off to SFO to catch my plane. I can't remember whether the shower was not working or didn't have any warm water, but in any case, I just threw on my clothes, headed to the airport and flew back. I was not such a happy camper (well, actually I was pretty happy but really needed a shower) and I suspect that the people around me wished that CO was enforcing the policy rapopoda proposed.

Last edited by shawbridge; Jan 31, 2008 at 3:17 pm
Old Jan 31, 2008, 4:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA just 8800 mi short of Silver
I see. Hardly anyone wears pants these days. People are obsessed with being politically correct for fear they might offend someone, especially on CO flights (how that for staying on topic). They've gone completely bonkers in California. Under SB777, kids in the public schools must declare what gender they want to be. So, if Johnny wants to be Johnine, all he has to do is check a box on his "Declaration of Gender", and zappo a he become a sheila. And Ahnuld has ordered the words mom and dad stricken from the public school textbooks for fear of offending certain types.
Old Jan 31, 2008, 4:16 pm

Ol' MacDonald's Farm Aloft . . .

Originally Posted by chasbondy
>>fair share of man-hippos clad in spandex,>>> Many haven't figured out that spandex is a privilige, not a right
Bad enough across the aisle in F, but worst is a 400 pound female blankety-blank-blank in spandex and ten pound earrings and no deodrant trying to fit in the F seat next to YOU ....

Fortunately these cows and other assorted farm animals fly in coach-sty generally with the rest of the unwashed masses....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.