Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

CO Denied Me Boarding Because I Had No Pants On

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2007, 9:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond

Another woman has come forward to say she was asked to "cover up" because of "inappropriate" attire she had on when trying to board a Southwest flight. The media is having a frenzy over this, with ettiquite people coming out of the wordwork giving recommendations and tips for proper in-flight attire.

I wrote the title in 'jest (...although once as a non-rev, I was asked to change my shoes or I'd be denied boarding.) Outdated non-rev dress code rules aside, have you ever had a problem with your attire on a CO flight --or did you see other passengers wearing questionable things that made you blush (with either excitement or dismay)?

Maybe it's just the type of crowd/demographic that Southwest attracts, but I just don't remember any passenger in the hundreds of thousands of miles I've flown on CO wearing anything too revealing or something so horrific that it warranted a change in dress.

There have been times when I saw a bit too much flesh in times of umm "passion" on some flights, and I've seen people wear hilarious t-shirts that I wouldn't be caught dead in, but for the most part I think CO passengers are fairly well dressed and can't imagine this being an issue for CO.

Your experiences?
Old Sep 13, 2007, 9:04 am

Programs: SPG LT Plat/P100, UA 1K 1MM
I saw the video, she didn't look like she was wearing anything too crazy. What else do you expect on these LAS->LA area runs?
Old Sep 13, 2007, 9:07 am
Suspended

Programs: UA just 8800 mi short of Silver
It certainly keeps the screening process to a minimum, although I'd prefer they profile the people they should be profiling, instead of hassling fluzzies. If she gets on a plane looking like that, can you imagine what she dresses her daughter like to go to 9th grade?

Last edited by chasbondy; Sep 13, 2007 at 9:12 am
Old Sep 13, 2007, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kommissar Giga-Posting Direktor, PWP; Fasano Nouveau Aristocrat; CO Platinum; BD Gold; MR Gold
I frequently see people wearing cheap/tacky shirts, ties, jackets, and suits on CO, and I definitely take offense to such behavior.
Old Sep 13, 2007, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A festering pit; a pustule of a fistula set athwart the miasmic swamps of the armpit of the Gulf of Mexico - a Godforsaken wart upon a dark crevasse of the World. (IAH)
Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by Weatherboy
Another woman has come forward to say she was asked to "cover up" because of "inappropriate" attire she had on when trying to board a Southwest flight. The media is having a frenzy over this, with ettiquite people coming out of the wordwork giving recommendations and tips for proper in-flight attire.

I wrote the title in 'jest (...although once as a non-rev, I was asked to change my shoes or I'd be denied boarding.) Outdated non-rev dress code rules aside, have you ever had a problem with your attire on a CO flight --or did you see other passengers wearing questionable things that made you blush (with either excitement or dismay)?

Maybe it's just the type of crowd/demographic that Southwest attracts, but I just don't remember any passenger in the hundreds of thousands of miles I've flown on CO wearing anything too revealing or something so horrific that it warranted a change in dress.

There have been times when I saw a bit too much flesh in times of umm "passion" on some flights, and I've seen people wear hilarious t-shirts that I wouldn't be caught dead in, but for the most part I think CO passengers are fairly well dressed and can't imagine this being an issue for CO.

Your experiences?
It seems a fair share of the WN crowd has discovered that IAH-MSY on CO is regularly as cheap as HOU-MSY on WN. On that particular route, I have seen more than my fair share of man-hippos clad in spandex, incredibly trampy fishnet get-ups with bad makeup, Juicy "couture," and grizzled rednecks with mud on their boots that look like they just came from a tractor-pull (thankfully, I've not encountered one with a spit-cup, yet).

They all file past the front cabin rather quickly, but that route does demonstrate an intriguing parade of humanity, though...
Old Sep 13, 2007, 9:14 am
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

I'd rather sit next to someone flashing their panties vs. someone well-dressed that doesn't wear deodorant.
Old Sep 13, 2007, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Weatherboy

Your experiences?
I have had large, sweaty guys in gym attire next to me in FC (wholly inappropriate, IMO), as well as a toe-picker across the aisle in 1E. YUCK.

What are these people thinking of? I'm all in favor of some kind of stated policy regarding at least a minimum level of decorum so that at least the level of awareness could be raised..
Old Sep 13, 2007, 9:15 am
Suspended

Programs: UA just 8800 mi short of Silver
>>fair share of man-hippos clad in spandex,>>> Many haven't figured out that spandex is a privilige, not a right
Old Sep 13, 2007, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kommissar Giga-Posting Direktor, PWP; Fasano Nouveau Aristocrat; CO Platinum; BD Gold; MR Gold
Originally Posted by Anglo Large Clawed Otter
It seems a fair share of the WN crowd has discovered that IAH-MSY on CO is regularly as cheap as HOU-MSY on WN. On that particular route, I have seen more than my fair share of man-hippos clad in spandex, incredibly trampy fishnet get-ups with bad makeup, Juicy "couture," ...
One must adore the tacky sweatsuits many people wear (velour or otherwise), with something like "Juicy" or the name of a univeristy emblazoned accross the buttocks. This phenomenon is especially prevalent on redeyes ex-LAS.
Old Sep 13, 2007, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A festering pit; a pustule of a fistula set athwart the miasmic swamps of the armpit of the Gulf of Mexico - a Godforsaken wart upon a dark crevasse of the World. (IAH)
Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by CO 1E
One must adore the tacky sweatsuits many people wear (velour or otherwise), with something like "Juicy" or the name of a univeristy emblazoned accross the buttocks. This phenomenon is especially prevalent on redeyes ex-LAS.
I'm so upset that I was too young to cash-in on the track-suit and gold-chain mafioso in Miami look from the 80's. That would have been such a good look for me
Old Sep 13, 2007, 9:21 am

Programs: CO Plat; Marriott Silver; Hilton Gold
It seems a fair share of the WN crowd has discovered that IAH-MSY on CO is regularly as cheap as HOU-MSY on WN. On that particular route, I have seen more than my fair share of man-hippos clad in spandex, incredibly trampy fishnet get-ups with bad makeup, Juicy "couture," and grizzled rednecks with mud on their boots that look like they just came from a tractor-pull (thankfully, I've not encountered one with a spit-cup, yet).

They all file past the front cabin rather quickly, but that route does demonstrate an intriguing parade of humanity, though...
These are the only flights I have found that to be true too.... unfortunately I've had "spit-cup" people across the aisle from me on 2 different flights - one from MSY and one from YYT.....

I've seen CO deny boarding to people in MSY several times - some for dress (or lack thereof) and some because they were way too intoxicated - go figure!
Old Sep 13, 2007, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Bonehead
What are these people thinking of? I'm all in favor of some kind of stated policy regarding at least a minimum level of decorum so that at least the level of awareness could be raised..
American culture espouses the concept of being "laid back." Since corporations adopted the "business casual" model, people have taken the "casual" aspect to the extreme. This concept has transcended not only dress, but behavior. The toe-picking example is a bit extreme and a bit bizzare. But with respect to the sweaty gym clothing guy, I would bet that many people would accuse you of attempting to impose some sort of overly burdensome dress or decorum requirement on the sweaty guy had you complained about his appearance and odors on this forum or elsewhere.
Old Sep 13, 2007, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm so upset that I was too young to cash-in on the track-suit and gold-chain mafioso in Miami look from the 80's. That would have been such a good look for me
That look is alive and well in certain parts of the US, my friend.
Old Sep 13, 2007, 9:29 am

I find this IDB for "inappropriate" attire to be sad in so many ways. I certainly did not seeing anything wrong with what she was wearing - at least it was appropriate for her figure, the clothes were clean, and she was not revealing too much skin. If anything, this does focus the spotlight on how sad "appropriate clothing" has become when travelling (or even in public). Call me old fashioned, but I long for the days when people dressed up to fly. It is almost embarassing to see what comes on board these days! Dirty, smelly, revealing, too tight, too loose.... does anyone look in the mirror before they leave the house? Back to the point, I think Southwest needs to be very careful with this issue as it could open a door that can not be closed once opened. What is next? A guy with his big gut hanging out? A guy wearing both a hair shirt and tank top? An overweight woman in spandex?

But, I will admit, I get a huge kick out of the flights to/from LAS. It is almost like feeding time at the zoo!
Old Sep 13, 2007, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CO 1E
That look is alive and well in certain parts of the US, my friend.
No one wants to visit Pittsburgh

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.