Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

CO Denied Me Boarding Because I Had No Pants On

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CO Denied Me Boarding Because I Had No Pants On

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2007, 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by Mile-Hor
But at the same time, perhaps rather than just selling a seat (moreso with the BF than domestic F), CO is trying to sell a whole experience. That being the case, sometimes certain attire is appropriate and sometimes it is not. Restaurants and bars have dress codes that they enforce to maintain a certain level of class...
No,they should just give out Sleeper Suits like VS
Old Sep 14, 2007, 9:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Sleeper Suits

Originally Posted by rapopoda
No,they should just give out Sleeper Suits like VS
I can't see CO ever giving out Sleeper Suits as part of their Business First product.

If they roll out a new premium transoceanic 1st class product for the 787 (which they steadfast say will never happen), perhaps the pajamas will come out. But 'till then, I can't imagine CO invest in onboard "wardrobe" when they keep trimming back their eye shade budget.
Old Sep 14, 2007, 10:48 pm

Programs: DL MM/FC/FO; UA PS; AA GLD
Originally Posted by ErgoTraveler
People on the radio kept talking how whatever channel/network was interviewing one of the girls had to blurr out the crotchal area as apparently her dress was not safe for TV...
Though WN is too polite to officially say it, word is that she had one item of clothing missing on the flight that she made sure to add for her Today Show appearance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ojm1OxWNTI
Old Sep 15, 2007, 12:40 am

Programs: UA 3.6MM, AF/KL Lifetime Plat, BA Gold, AA 1MM, IC Spire RA, Kimpton IC, Marriott Plat, et alia
[QUOTE=MBM3;8397230]how sad "appropriate clothing" has become when travelling (or even in public). Call me old fashioned, but I long for the days when people dressed up to fly. It is almost embarassing to see what comes on board these days! Dirty, smelly, revealing, too tight, too loose.... does anyone look in the mirror before they leave the house? Back to the point, I think Southwest needs to be very careful with this issue as it could open a door that can not be closed once opened. What is next? A guy with his big gut hanging out? A guy wearing both a hair shirt and tank top? An overweight woman in spandex?[QUOTE]

Hear, hear!

I would gladly switch my business to a carrier who enforces a dress code and bans children in F. While coach service and WN have morphed into an airborne facsimile of Greyhound, the integrity and sanctity of the F cabin has similarly degenerated.

Elites on such an airline would begin to behave satrorially, in anticipation of upgrades which could be summarily yanked from fashion victims.
Old Sep 15, 2007, 6:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
So what would be acceptable.

Yesterday I went ATL-IAH-AUS in khakis, brooks brothers shirt, blazer, are SAS leather shoes.

Last week I was MRing in off-white cargo shorts, a tee-shirt with my college plastered on it, and strap-on leather sandals.

Now neither get-up was putting my junk(TM) on display, but is it only ok ride up front if I look like I just closed a deal or can I look like the young guy that I am?
Old Sep 15, 2007, 7:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Neat & Clean

Originally Posted by colpuck
So what would be acceptable.

Yesterday I went ATL-IAH-AUS in khakis, brooks brothers shirt, blazer, are SAS leather shoes.

Last week I was MRing in off-white cargo shorts, a tee-shirt with my college plastered on it, and strap-on leather sandals.

Now neither get-up was putting my junk(TM) on display, but is it only ok ride up front if I look like I just closed a deal or can I look like the young guy that I am?
I think as long as you're within a threshold of "neat", "clean" and "non-offensive" you're fine.

I think the worst thing I've ever worn on an airplane was a wet bathing suit. At the time, Aloha Airlines offered a 7day interisland pass: for some ridiculously low sum of money (like $175?) you could fly as much as you want throughout the islands without any restrictions. And best yet, you could book confirmed seats (although no seat assignments) beforehand... so there was no need to "standby" through the 7-day flying fiasco. I went from Maui to Kauai to swim at Barking Sands beach ...only to fly over to Hilo to hang out at a beach for the second half of that day. I was having a little too much good of a time and lost track of the time.... so not having enough time to change or even dry off, I hopped back in my rental car and raced to the airport. I was still covered in sand and had a wet bathing suit and t-shirt on (along with sneakers)... so I just put the towel in my seat and sat in it for the hop to Lihue to Honolulu to Hilo. (And while I did leave behind a trail of sand wherever I walked, my seat did stay dry... so I didn't leave a wet seat behind for the next traveler.)
Old Sep 15, 2007, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kommissar Giga-Posting Direktor, PWP; Fasano Nouveau Aristocrat; CO Platinum; BD Gold; MR Gold
Originally Posted by Weatherboy
Before a FA or GA gets in trouble for denying boarding to a scantily and/or offensively clad passenger, should they publish a suggested dress code?

Some here seem very offended by poorly dressed "riff raff" in premium cabins. Should a "business casual" dress code be implemented in the BusinessFirst cabin ...and perhaps some other code for domestic F passengers?

I don't know about this. CO needs to protect the integrity of its premium cabin, but I don't think that should mean policing its passengers wardrobes. On the flip side, if CO was known as the carrier for the well dressed, it may be worth paying a small premium to fly on to avoid the "smelly", "horribly dressed" riff-raff described here.
I don't know that a business casual dress code would be appropriate in BF simply because it is not terribly comfortable (at least for me) to sleep or lounge about in a startched shirt and wool slacks. I almost always wear jeans when flying longhaul, unless I have some business to attend to after the flight. In sum, I think it would be difficult to impose a dress code in BF other than to prohibit skimpy outfits such as the one in question on WN or the speedo and t-shirt outfit another poster described.
Old Sep 15, 2007, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kommissar Giga-Posting Direktor, PWP; Fasano Nouveau Aristocrat; CO Platinum; BD Gold; MR Gold
On a related note, I was in Acela First Class yesterday and everyone in first class (myself included) was wearing a suit. That did not stop one well-dressed woman from putting her bare feet on the footrest and seat in front of her, however.

Last edited by CO 1E; Sep 15, 2007 at 9:10 am Reason: added info
Old Sep 15, 2007, 9:09 am

Programs: CO Plat, *A Gold (all peacefully retired)
Originally Posted by Anglo Large Clawed Otter
I'm so upset that I was too young to cash-in on the track-suit and gold-chain mafioso in Miami look from the 80's. That would have been such a good look for me
What are you saying? That's out now?? Dammit!
Old Sep 15, 2007, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
Originally Posted by rbrenton88
What are you saying? That's out now?? Dammit!
If you're in atlanta that look is very in.
Old Sep 15, 2007, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Currently in Bloomington, IN, but Normally NYC, CDG, and even POZ or wherever FT takes me.
Programs: Northwest Airlines. MTA pay-per-ride Metrocard; zero-balance Oyster card.
Originally Posted by colpuck
If you're in atlanta that look is very in.
Over on Mulberry it's actually authentic...
Old Sep 15, 2007, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Currently in Bloomington, IN, but Normally NYC, CDG, and even POZ or wherever FT takes me.
Programs: Northwest Airlines. MTA pay-per-ride Metrocard; zero-balance Oyster card.
Originally Posted by vsevolod4
Elites on such an airline would begin to behave satrorially, in anticipation of upgrades which could be summarily yanked from fashion victims.

Uhm... satrorially? Methinks that spelling sense is somewhat related to fashion sense... and good taste...

Old Sep 15, 2007, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OK, bringing this back to Continental Airlines...

I thought I'd point out (I don't think it's been mentioned yet), that CO's Contract of Carriage does allow refusal to transport for inappropriate dress. Rule 21, Section H:
Safety Whenever refusal or removal of a Passenger may be necessary for the safety of such Passenger or other Passengers or members of the crew, including, but not limited to:
5) Persons who are barefoot or not properly clothed;

And then I'd point out that AA goes a step or two further:

(Acceptance of Passengers)
American may refuse to transport you, or may remove you from your flight at any point, for one or several reasons, including but not limited to the following:
6. Your conduct is disorderly, abusive or violent, or you
e. Have an offensive odor not caused by a disability or illness,
f. Are clothed in a manner that would cause discomfort or offense to other passengers,
Old Sep 15, 2007, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: La Ministreuse de Surréalisme, CO Plat, MR Plat, SPG Plat
A couple of weeks ago at LAS, I heard the GAs discreetly (I have good hearing, what can I say) ask a young man to change his shirt; which he did. I'm not sure what the offending shirt said, but saw his mother throw a shirt at him which he quickly put on.
Old Sep 15, 2007, 10:39 am
Suspended

Programs: UA just 8800 mi short of Silver
>>> had to blurr out the crotchal area as apparently her dress>>>
I dont think thats how Larry Flynt would have reported it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.