Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

CO Denied Me Boarding Because I Had No Pants On

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CO Denied Me Boarding Because I Had No Pants On

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2007, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kommissar Giga-Posting Direktor, PWP; Fasano Nouveau Aristocrat; CO Platinum; BD Gold; MR Gold
Originally Posted by breaux124
At what point does an obese person need two seats?
Just asking because my last return flight from IAH I got stuck between a very large lady (no elbow room at all for me) and a nursing mother with a newborn (even though I really had the window seat, but who kicks a nursing mother with a baby out of the window seat?)

The lady next to barely fit in the chair, but her arms/shoulders were mostly resting on me.
Oh, boy. . . .
Old Sep 13, 2007, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A festering pit; a pustule of a fistula set athwart the miasmic swamps of the armpit of the Gulf of Mexico - a Godforsaken wart upon a dark crevasse of the World. (IAH)
Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold
I *heart* this thread. It's climbing the ranks into rare-air, up amongst Stink-shield and ConUniHound (though nothing will likely ever top ConUniHound)
Old Sep 13, 2007, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A festering pit; a pustule of a fistula set athwart the miasmic swamps of the armpit of the Gulf of Mexico - a Godforsaken wart upon a dark crevasse of the World. (IAH)
Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by breaux124
At what point does an obese person need two seats?
Just asking because my last return flight from IAH I got stuck between a very large lady (no elbow room at all for me) and a nursing mother with a newborn (even though I really had the window seat, but who kicks a nursing mother with a baby out of the window seat?)

The lady next to barely fit in the chair, but her arms/shoulders were mostly resting on me.
This situation is easily turned to one's advantage when the cabin gets cold. All you need do is ask your ample, meaty seat-mate if you may nestle amongst their sumptuous folds of blubber for warmth. There's two ways the encounter can go from there...either the person moves to the nearest available empty seat (assuming the flight isn't full), or you just made a new special friend
Old Sep 13, 2007, 4:05 pm
Suspended

Location: Was living in WAS now DFW, at least closer to IAH!;)
Programs: UA:1K SPG:PLT MR:GLD AVIS-HERTZ:PREZ and AA is for quitters!
Rotfl

Originally Posted by Anglo Large Clawed Otter
This situation is easily turned to one's advantage when the cabin gets cold. All you need do is ask your ample, meaty seat-mate if you may nestle amongst their sumptuous folds of blubber for warmth. There's two ways the encounter can go from there...either the person moves to the nearest available empty seat (assuming the flight isn't full), or you just made a new special friend
But where am I going to find a Tauntaun let alone get a light saber past security?
Old Sep 13, 2007, 4:11 pm

Programs: OnePass Platinum, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5 Star
HAHAHAHAHAHAH om my side HURTS. I'll remember that on my next trip to YYC!
Old Sep 13, 2007, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Diamond, B6 Mosaic, AS MPV Gold, UA Gold MM, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite
Sounds like my old boss. The first time I ever flew with her and her husband, they stuck me in a middle seat between them (she booked the tickets). She is of a size that WN would probably enforce it's two seat rule with her. I felt parts of both of them, especially on her, that I never needed to feel. The only consolation was knowing that if the plane went down I would be very well padded and might stand a chance of surviving.

That was in 2000, and I think I'm still scarred by the experience.
Old Sep 13, 2007, 5:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Originally Posted by flying for gold elite
I saw a group of 3 going to Ireland BF dressed in baggie shirts and pants, I felt as though they were insulting the service and the airline as a whole!
Insulting the airline??? Insulting the service??? At what point is your money better than theirs?

I'm assuming here you don't mean their "Baggy" pants were actually around their thighs rather than their waist (you all know what I mean)... Otherwise I'm sure they were quite comfortable. They chose not to wear restrictive, stuffy clothing, and they paid for a far more comfortable seat... who are you to judge?

When I fly (doesn't matter... Coach, BF, Int F), as long as I don't need to hit the ground and go straight to a meeting then I make myself comfortable... I'm certainly not on that plane to impress those around me. You won't see me flying in shorts and flip flops because I get too cold, however I nearly always fly in jeans and tennis shoes because that's what I'm most comfortable wearing.

If the guys on your flight weren't being otherwise offensive then it might be a good time to re-examine the way you're so quick to judge others.
Old Sep 13, 2007, 6:12 pm

Programs: AA Platinum; US Gold; DL Silver
Why don't the people who want elite dress book their own private planes? Obviously, if the riff raff can join them on the airline, the airline isn't good enough for them and they need to move up, up, up in the world!
Old Sep 13, 2007, 9:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Should CO have a dress code?

Before a FA or GA gets in trouble for denying boarding to a scantily and/or offensively clad passenger, should they publish a suggested dress code?

Some here seem very offended by poorly dressed "riff raff" in premium cabins. Should a "business casual" dress code be implemented in the BusinessFirst cabin ...and perhaps some other code for domestic F passengers?

I don't know about this. CO needs to protect the integrity of its premium cabin, but I don't think that should mean policing its passengers wardrobes. On the flip side, if CO was known as the carrier for the well dressed, it may be worth paying a small premium to fly on to avoid the "smelly", "horribly dressed" riff-raff described here.
Old Sep 14, 2007, 11:41 am

Programs: 1K, Hertz Five Star
No one wants to visit Pittsburgh

Heyyyyyyy - that was uncalled for
Old Sep 14, 2007, 11:48 am

Programs: AA : GOLD
Thanks for the suggestion, hopefully I'll never be in the situation again.

Maybe next time I'll just start scratching my arm on that side a bunch and ask if she knows anything about rashes, because this one won't go away. I figure I'll at least get my arm space back.
Old Sep 14, 2007, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bnarayan1511
Heyyyyyyy - that was uncalled for
Of all my posts in this thread, this is the one you take issue with?!

Besides...Houstonians are allowed to poke fun at other craptastic cities. We're the biggest one in the nation.
Old Sep 14, 2007, 12:42 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Weatherboy
Before a FA or GA gets in trouble for denying boarding to a scantily and/or offensively clad passenger, should they publish a suggested dress code?

Some here seem very offended by poorly dressed "riff raff" in premium cabins. Should a "business casual" dress code be implemented in the BusinessFirst cabin ...and perhaps some other code for domestic F passengers?

I don't know about this. CO needs to protect the integrity of its premium cabin, but I don't think that should mean policing its passengers wardrobes. On the flip side, if CO was known as the carrier for the well dressed, it may be worth paying a small premium to fly on to avoid the "smelly", "horribly dressed" riff-raff described here.
But at the same time, perhaps rather than just selling a seat (moreso with the BF than domestic F), CO is trying to sell a whole experience. That being the case, sometimes certain attire is appropriate and sometimes it is not. Restaurants and bars have dress codes that they enforce to maintain a certain level of class...
Old Sep 14, 2007, 1:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Sounds OK To Me

Originally Posted by Mile-Hor
But at the same time, perhaps rather than just selling a seat (moreso with the BF than domestic F), CO is trying to sell a whole experience. That being the case, sometimes certain attire is appropriate and sometimes it is not. Restaurants and bars have dress codes that they enforce to maintain a certain level of class...
This sounds reasonable... so perhaps to pre-empt the undressed masses from making for a bad in-flight experience (or perhaps even a bad President's Club experience), CO should publish suggested dress guidelines for premium cabins ...and then inforce some minimum standards in PC's and BF cabins.
Old Sep 14, 2007, 1:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 2.3 MM
Originally Posted by dmbfan222
I saw the video, she didn't look like she was wearing anything too crazy. What else do you expect on these LAS->LA area runs?

People on the radio kept talking how whatever channel/network was interviewing one of the girls had to blurr out the crotchal area as apparently her dress was not safe for TV...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.