Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CO Is Uncompetitive with Lifetime Benefits

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2007, 1:35 am

If you are really serious about wanting Platinum for Life, why not just sign up for Flying Blue and let your miles accrue there?

In just 10 years of flying only 47.000 miles in FC/BC or 70.000 in economy you will be Platinum for Life in the entire Skyteam network.

You accrue full EQMs on both CO and NW no matter where you buy your ticket (except for the very cheapest AF, KL & NW economy fares which are 25-50%),

you always get upgraded (90%) on NW and sometimes on CO,

you can book awards in international FC on Air France,

you can book one way awards on KL or AF,

you get free lounge access to NW and CO lounges in the US.

The only thing you miss are the better chances for the domestic FC upgrade crap shoot on CO flights.
Old Aug 7, 2007, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kommissar Giga-Posting Direktor, PWP; Fasano Nouveau Aristocrat; CO Platinum; BD Gold; MR Gold
Originally Posted by CAL PHL FLYER
CO has allready tried this program and it failed..OnePass seems to be filling a record number of seats..Id say the program is working as it is!!
And, how did it fail?
Old Aug 7, 2007, 6:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kommissar Giga-Posting Direktor, PWP; Fasano Nouveau Aristocrat; CO Platinum; BD Gold; MR Gold
Originally Posted by MIA-SAT
WIll UA match Co plat to its highest elite level or is it like AA and require full BIS miles to get there? With at least three carriers not granting an easy route to the equivalent of CO Plat, you may be partially right, but I think that the route to transfer of similar status on another carrier is not an easy one, and will cause many CO elites to stay put, or limit their action to complaining on the boards.
UA will only match a CO Plat to 1P.
Old Aug 7, 2007, 8:20 am
xFF

Programs: UA lifetime 1K
Originally Posted by CAL PHL FLYER
CO has allready tried this program and it failed..
I don't see it as having failed in any sense; in its way, it helped the airline survive, by upping the ante and thereby attracting business travelers in a time when EWR was viewed in the same way that old Imperial terminal was viewed at LAX: as a place that the fly-by-nights used. Those who started to regularly use --and insisted on using-- CO out of EWR during the early 90's played a role in setting the perception that there was a third option to LGA/JFK for business travel.

After the bankruptcies, the decision obviously was made that it (Infinite offer) wasn't needed any longer.
Old Aug 7, 2007, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by Klm is Dead - Long Live KLM
If you are really serious about wanting Platinum for Life, why not just sign up for Flying Blue and let your miles accrue there?

In just 10 years of flying only 47.000 miles in FC/BC or 70.000 in economy you will be Platinum for Life in the entire Skyteam network.

You accrue full EQMs on both CO and NW no matter where you buy your ticket (except for the very cheapest AF, KL & NW economy fares which are 25-50%),

you always get upgraded (90%) on NW and sometimes on CO,

you can book awards in international FC on Air France,

you can book one way awards on KL or AF,

you get free lounge access to NW and CO lounges in the US.

The only thing you miss are the better chances for the domestic FC upgrade crap shoot on CO flights.
Thanks for this information. Once I hit Platinum on Delta, that's where I go next.
Old Aug 7, 2007, 4:50 pm

Sorry, I only read about 4 pages, so this might have been suggested.

I would like at least an "Elite Access" for life level. This way, I wouldn't have to stand in line with the hoi polloi.

Space available upgrades might be the next level, after regular elites, Elite for a day (Y fares), etc.

Then regular Elite status benefits for the next levels from there.
Old Aug 7, 2007, 5:02 pm

Programs: CO non-elite, Marriott Silver, SPG Gold
I do agree that CO could reasonably implement some lifetime Elite level that would be attractive without permanent full-blown regular Elite benefits. ^

Originally Posted by Tummy
I would like at least an "Elite Access" for life level. This way, I wouldn't have to stand in line with the hoi polloi.

Space available upgrades might be the next level, after regular elites, Elite for a day (Y fares), etc.

Then regular Elite status benefits for the next levels from there.
Old Oct 2, 2007, 6:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Woo-hoo!

Originally Posted by Weatherboy
An article ran this week that discusses the lifetime perks other major carriers give their very frequent fliers for their lifetime of commitment. While I completely get CO's business rationale for not wanting to do a lifetime program, I now don't get why they're the only major not doing one now.

http://www.space.com/php/multimedia/...William+Preece

I'm especially impressed by DL's lifetime perks. Compared to the other majors, I'm disappointed that Continental gives you no lifetime perk after flying 4million miles.

I'm glad to see that in less than 3 months, CO has recognized the value of long-term frequent fliers, saw this article / post, and announced a change to their program in which they will roll out a Million Miler effort.
Old Oct 2, 2007, 7:45 pm

Programs: United Premier Gold 1MM
US Air Logical?

Originally Posted by suitcasejockey
You know, every single time I hear someone say the words "lifetime platinum" a LARGE part of me rethinks my travel strategy. I'm doing different routes and lately USAir is becoming the logical choice. The VERY logical choice.
Um - you might want to check out the US Scare seat maps. With two rows of FC on a typical 757, you'll need to be a Diamond Chairman's Preferred Son to get an UG on Y fare.....
Old Oct 2, 2007, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
I'm glad to see that in less than 3 months, CO has recognized the value of long-term frequent fliers, saw this article / post, and announced a change to their program in which they will roll out a Million Miler effort.
I think CO has been looking at this for a lot longer than three months.
Old Oct 2, 2007, 11:57 pm

I was regualrly flying One Pass and Continental since 1981. When Larry Kellner a few years back told me that lifetime status was just "wallet candy" and that he was a lifetime gold on American, I simply stopped flying Continental and switched to Delta so that in my last 10-15 years of business flying I would easily hit the million mark and get lifetime there. I had about 3 million total miles on CO, so I should have well over 1 million BIS on CO now. I flew CO all those years it operated like US Air does now.
Old May 3, 2008, 7:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Now the question is...

How many of us will be million-milers on multiple carriers once CO unveils their program in a few weeks...
Old May 3, 2008, 10:17 am

Programs: UA gold, AA Plat, HHonors diamond, DL DM
million miles in more than one program

I should be one of them. I already have 1.6 mil on AA, and with many years as a CO plat (also a gold when that was the highest level), I should cross the 1 mil threshhold with CO. I had forgotten that I joined OnePass back in 1987 until I saw it on my Plat card.
Old Jul 13, 2008, 1:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
With the newly announced program, including spousal benefits, CO is clearly the industry leader.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.