Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Sharing" business class seat

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2007, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
No you wouldn't. I consider it the equivalent of going to the lavatory, except I replaced my husband in the seat. We made sure we were in aisles so not to bother anyone.

I would take the naysayers with a grain of salt. It's allowed whether or not they like it.

As I said, the screaming kid running up & down the aisle in BF is a problem. The kid kicking the back of my seat in BF is a problem. Switching a seat with my husband is a non-issue.
Old May 30, 2007, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: AA Plat / UA NOTHING / Alaska 75K / Hyatt Diamond / SPG LT Plat / Marriott Gold / Priority Club Plat / Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by Mary2e
No you wouldn't. I consider it the equivalent of going to the lavatory, except I replaced my husband in the seat. We made sure we were in aisles so not to bother anyone.

I would take the naysayers with a grain of salt. It's allowed whether or not they like it.

As I said, the screaming kid running up & down the aisle in BF is a problem. The kid kicking the back of my seat in BF is a problem. Switching a seat with my husband is a non-issue.
I agree 100% especially if it only involves aisle seats. At that point, what could possibly be the complaint?
Old May 30, 2007, 2:45 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by fireworksboy
what could possibly be the complaint?
nail. head. it's snobbery, if you ask me.
Old May 30, 2007, 2:47 pm

I would only be annoyed if the seat switchers were in the window seat and climbing over me or making a ruckus when I was trying to sleep. Otherwise, no biggy to me.
Old May 30, 2007, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sherijo
I flew TLV-EWR on Monday. In the second BusinessFirst cabin there was a family that had some people seated in business and some in coach. They were moving between cabins (not sure of frequency) and twice during the flight the pilot announced that people need to stay in their assigned cabin due to FAA (I think that was it) regulations.
Actually, it's a TSA Security Directive that requires flight crews on inbound international flights (to the USA) to announce that federal security rules prohibit movements between cabins. That's been the rule for almost three and a half years - since about Dec 20, 2003.
Old May 30, 2007, 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by fly co to see the yanks
nail. head. it's snobbery, if you ask me.
You assume the complaint is from business class passengers. @:-)

Cabin switching is trouble if you're sitting in coach and your neighbor is constantly getting up around and over you, bumping the aisle, getting in the way of people's bathroom trips. I've seen it happen, never seen a flight crew or neighbor that was pleased with it; although each time it involved two kids.

In BF, you have a drink, put an eyeshade on, go into recline, pull the hood over, and sleep through a mid-air collision. Doesn't matter what your neighbor does.
Old May 30, 2007, 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by senatorgirth
If the "switchers" are on an aisle seat and quietly swap seats without moving carry-on bags, I don't see how changing seats could be considered annoying. Unless they announce to the BF cabin "Hey folks, we're switching over here!" I doubt few would take note. Sounds like a bunch of silly snobbery to me.

I wouldn't be surprised if, after telling the FA that you're giving up your BF seat to your pregnant wife, the FA let you occupy an empty BF seat (if available) for awhile.
Unless your a cheapskate, you would have been able to buy or upgrade to that seat. Not mention a lot of "switchers" are as loud as if they were rearranging the entire seating configuration of a 777. If for security reasons only F or J pax are allowed to use the forward lavatory then only F or J pax should be allowed to sit in F or J. I got yelled at by a NW F/A for going back to coach to give gum to someone, I'm really surprised you were allowed to do this. But if the 235 pax in coach can survive for 10+ hours I'm sure you could too, and you would be able to make your wife more comfortable. You are a good husband, AREN'T YOU?
Old May 30, 2007, 4:55 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Onepass, Marriott Rewards, Priority Club
Originally Posted by airfly56
Appreciate the discussion.
Actually, the one she would be switching with would not be me, rather one of the kids. She might be needed in back to take care of them.
::does double take:: You can't take care of your own kids? Your wife is pregnant. Let her take the BF seat & you switch seats with the kids in coach.
Old May 30, 2007, 5:41 pm

Programs: WN Rapid Rewards, DL SkyMiles, UA MileagePlus, HiltonHonors
Originally Posted by FWAAA
Actually, it's a TSA Security Directive that requires flight crews on inbound international flights (to the USA) to announce that federal security rules prohibit movements between cabins.
News to me. Whenever I'm in J in a long flight, I walk the entire length of the aircraft once or twice just to stretch my legs. I've never encountered any opposition.

I think those who suggest that the OP is a "cheapskate" for not buying a J ticket for his wife are callously out of touch with reality. The fact of the matter is that the price of most J tickets is impossibly expensive for the vast majority of people, exceeding multiple mortgage payments for a typical middle-class family. Heck, just being able to afford discounted TATL tickets in Y is a stretch--or impossibility--for lots and lots of families.
Old May 30, 2007, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL

I think those who suggest that the OP is a "cheapskate" for not buying a J ticket for his wife are callously out of touch with reality. The fact of the matter is that the price of most J tickets is impossibly expensive for the vast majority of people, exceeding multiple mortgage payments for a typical middle-class family. Heck, just being able to afford discounted TATL tickets in Y is a stretch--or impossibility--for lots and lots of families.
Exactly! Well put.

Unless it is specifically forbidden by the FAs, really, who cares if other BF pax find someone switching a seat incosiderate. I can get on a higher horse here, and say, if you want privacy, how about taking a private jet, otherwise, youre still in a public place and have absolutely no control over what others may do (unless not allowed by the crew)
Old May 30, 2007, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

News to me. Whenever I'm in J in a long flight, I walk the entire length of the aircraft once or twice just to stretch my legs. I've never encountered any opposition.
Me, too, although I generally don't go forward - I generally walk toward the back (when in 3-class Biz, I don't go marching up to F). Sometimes the FAs take notice and give me a hard time, but usually it's ok to stroll back (but not forward).

That said, the rule on inbound international flights has been the same since late December, 2003. TSA requires that flight crews tell you to stay in your own cabin. For 3.5 years now.
Old May 30, 2007, 8:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mary2e
You're going to see a lot of people discussing the "integrity" of the BF cabin. Well, both times I did it the small children in BF did more to disrupt the integrity of the cabin than anything my husband or I did when we switched seats.
I think there's a lot of erroneous usage of that term here. When CO talks about protecting the integrity of the BF cabin, they are talking about revenue integrity. If they were really trying to make the BF cabin a sanctuary from screaming children then they'd just ban kids under X years old outright. Of course that does nothing to protect the cabin from drunk obnoxious businessmen who like to defecate on carts.
By allowing two pax to purchase/upgrade into one BF seat and swap (once or repeatedly), they're missing out on the potential for two seat purchases/upgrades. So I can understand why CO might be inclined to disallow it.

Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
I really hope the original poster is being facetious. ...

1. It's inconsiderate to the passengers in both cabins to be getting up unnecessarily.
Are you being facetious??? It's now "inconsiderate" to get up out of your seat?!? I could go so many places with this, but I won't.
Old May 30, 2007, 8:17 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by FWAAA
Actually, it's a TSA Security Directive that requires flight crews on inbound international flights (to the USA) to announce that federal security rules prohibit movements between cabins. That's been the rule for almost three and a half years - since about Dec 20, 2003.
interesting. well, why is american now allowing coach passengers to use the first class lav? they changed about two months ago. how are they getting away with it?
Old May 30, 2007, 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by ijgordon
I think there's a lot of erroneous usage of that term here. When CO talks about protecting the integrity of the BF cabin, they are talking about revenue integrity.
I think you're right, ijgordon. I took my first B/F trip last weekend and can tell you with absolute certainty that if the person in the seat next to me had decided to switch once, twice or ten times with someone from coach, I wouldn't have noticed at all. As long as you're quiet when dancing around the curtain, you might as well just be getting up to use the bathroom.

To the OP, if you can snag an aisle seat then I'd welcome you and your wife next to me any day!
Old May 31, 2007, 12:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fly co to see the yanks
interesting. well, why is american now allowing coach passengers to use the first class lav? they changed about two months ago. how are they getting away with it?
Re-read my posts. Since December, 2003, TSA has required the "no leaving your cabin" announcement on inbound international flights.

Ever the paranoid airline, AA expanded upon the federal rules and prohibited cabin crossing on all flights, domestic or international, inbound or outbound.

The change in policy to which you refer is detailed in this thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=665531

TSA still requires the announcement on inbound international flights. Period.

TSA never required the announcement on domestic flights or outbound international flights. Just inbound international flights. AA is not allowing the use of forward cabin lavs on inbound international flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.