Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

recieved fancy invitation today for a $375 a year-"Pres Co/Chase

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

recieved fancy invitation today for a $375 a year-"Pres Co/Chase

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2006, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yup, the fancy packaging definitely grabs your attention, but the product itself fails to close the deal.

I'm a little surprised that they aren't offering bonus miles with this one. So I could get a regular CO Chase card now and get 20,000 miles, or get this one (for a $300 fee) and get zero miles?

The Presidents Club membership would be an appealing benefit for me, since I don't have one. As a OnePass platinum, though, I only "need" that card for certain domestic trips. Does anyone know of another promotion thru the SkyTeam alliance (perhaps DL AMEX?) that could accomplish the same thing for, like, $100? $300 is too rich for my needs.
Old Dec 6, 2006, 12:23 pm

Programs: CO Plat
Originally Posted by JetAway
CO and Chase will have to bump up the benefits on this cards to compete with AmEx Plat, which seems to be the target user. Silver Elite status would probably do it .

Received and answered an extensive online survey about a year ago, about a potential charge card with upgraded benefits. Seemed to indicate that it would be in $300-400 range and asked many what if questions...what would you want in a card for $400 etc. Most of the offerings pointed to elite status, PC membership and benefits similar to AMEX Plat. I indicated that it would take a lot (i.e. elite status at least) to entice me to pay that much for the CO card. Surprised they offered only PC membership. Amex Plat for me right now.
Old Dec 6, 2006, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, AA, B6, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG, SPG
Originally Posted by CO Insider
Hi Rawhide, invitations for the Presidental Plus card were sent to a very limited audience,...
I feel honored then. I didn't give any thought to this thread until I received it today. Beautiful packaging. I'm a bit on the fence as others. I gave up on Amex years ago so I don't have that issue. Being that next year I'll either be Plat by March or struggling for Silver in December, the concept of not losing elite access for 2008 with MC PC is a thought if the latter happens. Bonus miles for signing up would be very nice.
Old Dec 6, 2006, 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by CO Insider
Hi Rawhide, invitations for the Presidental Plus card were sent to a very limited audience, but for now we'll also be honoring applications from customers who didn't receive the mailing.
Seriously? I've flown CO exactly once this year, and I got one. And I earned my CO Plat status for the prior two years by flying almost exclusively on NW!

CO must have some pretty bizarre criteria for selecting their audience . . .
Old Dec 6, 2006, 5:49 pm

I still haven't gotten one....I guess I didn't make Larry's short list!
Old Dec 6, 2006, 6:15 pm

Programs: Delta SkyTeam, Marriott Bonvoy
I received the fancy direct-mail piece this evening, and I agree with iahphx

Originally Posted by iahphx
Yup, the fancy packaging definitely grabs your attention, but the product itself fails to close the deal.
I carry a plat AMEX and use it extensively for all the additional benefits, above and beyond just PC access. I do also carry a CO World MC and agree too with Weatherboy.

Originally Posted by Weatherboy
I wish CO would dump Chase all together and just pick a better bank partner that could provide a better overall customer experience.
I have had experienced dreadful customer service from Chase, and only carry this card for the option of earning additional OnePass Miles.

So, no - I won't be following-up with this offer. Also, how much do you think Chase/Continental paid to produce and mass mail these? I am sure they spent $$$ on this project.

Here's another thought to consider - with the introduction of this card I wonder if CO will phase out AMEX plat membership/entrance to the PC and using this new card instead?
Old Dec 6, 2006, 6:16 pm
xFF

Programs: UA lifetime 1K
Originally Posted by Rawhide
I still haven't gotten one....I guess I didn't make Larry's short list!
FWIW, my theory is it uses a combination of recent affinity card acquisition, unused credit on existing cards, and credit score. I never got targeted for any of these things, and then I broke down and got a (free) FL card via a hawker at ATL, mainly to get the come-on, a little bear in a pilot costume, for exogenous reasons. Now, AA keeps upping the signup miles ante, F9 wants in, and then this CO, which would have made a wonderful "Seasons Greetings" mailing instead.
Old Dec 6, 2006, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kommissar Giga-Posting Direktor, PWP; Fasano Nouveau Aristocrat; CO Platinum; BD Gold; MR Gold
Originally Posted by iahphx

I'm a little surprised that they aren't offering bonus miles with this one. So I could get a regular CO Chase card now and get 20,000 miles, or get this one (for a $300 fee) and get zero miles?

The Presidents Club membership would be an appealing benefit for me, since I don't have one. As a OnePass platinum, though, I only "need" that card for certain domestic trips. Does anyone know of another promotion thru the SkyTeam alliance (perhaps DL AMEX?) that could accomplish the same thing for, like, $100? $300 is too rich for my needs.
Agreed. CO should have included 20k bonus miles with this card.
Old Dec 6, 2006, 6:40 pm

How many that received the invitations are current Chase CO cardholders?
Old Dec 6, 2006, 6:49 pm
xFF

Programs: UA lifetime 1K
Few, I would bet. If those cards are securitized, I doubt the holders would be too happy about double-dipping cannibalization.
Old Dec 6, 2006, 6:55 pm

Programs: Delta SkyTeam, Marriott Bonvoy
I am a Chase CO Cardholder. - the invitation is now in the shredder
Old Dec 6, 2006, 9:20 pm

Oops. I need to read more carefully.

Last edited by Dodge DeBoulet; Dec 6, 2006 at 9:21 pm Reason: Missed the "CO" in the question
Old Dec 7, 2006, 12:11 pm

Programs: CO Gold; SPG Gold***; AvisFirst;
I received one. I'll stick with Amex Plat. Overall, more value for the $$. Took advantage of return protection today for the first time.
Old Dec 7, 2006, 12:15 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by mbreuer
I received one. I'll stick with Amex Plat. Overall, more value for the $$. Took advantage of return protection today for the first time.
The return and lost item protections on the amex plat are awesome,
Those protections, DL/NW/CO club access, the avis preffered select status, spg gold status, and all of the other benefits make the business plat card easily worth the $300/yr. charge, and puts this CO card to absolute shame...
Old Dec 7, 2006, 1:49 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Lifetime United Gold and 1K, Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Marriott and SPG Platinum , AA, Hilton
Thumbs down New Card Worthless

This entire card program should be viewed as a GREEDY emabarrassment. If they spent a little less money on the invitation they might be able to put back the 5% discount. When is the last time you got a Seasons Greeting card thanking you for your business?

Not only is the card WORTHLESS, especially for Elites since it dilutes the entire elite program. Have you ever been on a flight where almost EVERYONE lines up on the blue carpet, which is actually a DARK, dirty blue from being overused and never cleaned. How about those security lines that are longer than the non-elite ones, where the people that you KNOW rarely fly buy the elite statue and don't even know what they need to do to get thru security. Now people that NEVER fly will be able to get on those lines and make it even worse.

CO Miles are also worthless as you will find out whenever you try to use your miles for an upgrade to a sem-popular destination(forget a popular one).

I would not even fly Continental if I didn't live near a hub that they monopolize. I am planning on giving up my existing WC card this year as soon as the renewal time hits the books. The 5% made it worthwhile but now that it is gone earning double miles on the ticket purchases doesn't mean a whole lot.

Do I sound pissed?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.