Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

If CO still enforcing DCA 30 minute rule - Wash Post published TSA complaint number

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

If CO still enforcing DCA 30 minute rule - Wash Post published TSA complaint number

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2006, 10:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by AEpilot76
...Whether it's paranoia or not, the captain can still do it. IF the captain plays the safety/security card, the company, his employer most likely will not have an issue with it. ...
CO is already on the record stating these requirements and announcements are not within company guidelines and should be stopped. I doubt CO is not going to have an issue with any employee going outside company guideliness without a valid reason - and the valid reason has to be something that occurred during the operation in question, not just "I feel safer knowing the passengers are all being forced to remain seated whenever I fly to DCA".

A pilot in command must still answer on the ground for what he does in the air.
Old Sep 12, 2006, 10:55 am

Programs: CO Gold, UA Premier Exec
Originally Posted by cova
I agree - Captain is in charge and can make what ever rules he wants. The announcement should come from the captain - not the FA.

The situation I quoted was a 1 hour annoucement from the FA - not even 30 minutes. I was seated in F with 11 other passengers. Coach was nearly empty with say no more than 30 passengers.

When annoucement made 1 hour out without warning - half of the FC got up and waited in line to use the rest room.

Movie halted due to security reasons - did you ever have the movie shut down when the 30 minute rule was in effect. Why bother to sell $5 headsets in coach for a 2:45 minute flight if you are going to stop the movie half way through.
I've never heard of flight attendants taking it upon themselves to take such a drastic measure, especially when that rule is no longer policy. Maybe the captain said something to them and wanted them to make the PA....I don't get the movie thing, makes no sense what-so-ever
Old Sep 12, 2006, 10:59 am

Programs: CO Gold, UA Premier Exec
Originally Posted by bocastephen
CO is already on the record stating these requirements and announcements are not within company guidelines and should be stopped. I doubt CO is not going to have an issue with any employee going outside company guideliness without a valid reason - and the valid reason has to be something that occurred during the operation in question, not just "I feel safer knowing the passengers are all being forced to remain seated whenever I fly to DCA".

A pilot in command must still answer on the ground for what he does in the air.
Maybe something did occur which is unknown to the rest of us and therefore they enforced this rule which is no longer policy. I've flown with very few captains who would enforce a rule such as this one if it's no longer policy. If the captain requested the flight attendants to enforce this rule, he may have very well had a good reason
Old Sep 12, 2006, 11:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by bocastephen
There were no issues on the flight. The FA's went to the Flight Manual - and then turned the movie back on. The FA's never said anything after that - and even a window FC passenger got up to get his bag - near the end of the flight - without issue. I think the FA's called the Pilot - and the pilot likely told them about the elimination of the DCA rules (ie no special rules for DCA). The FA were very quiet after that and all but one stayed in the back during deplaning.

The in flight food service was excellent in FC - so no issue with service.

Last edited by cova; Sep 12, 2006 at 12:49 pm
Old Sep 12, 2006, 11:30 am

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Maybe something did occur which is unknown to the rest of us and therefore they enforced this rule which is no longer policy. I've flown with very few captains who would enforce a rule such as this one if it's no longer policy. If the captain requested the flight attendants to enforce this rule, he may have very well had a good reason
I doubt it...this occurs frequently on EWR|IAH-->DCA - especially on EWR/DCA flights operated by Expressjet, which is why COInsider wants us to notify him of these occurances for correction. If CO's policy was to let the PIC have his/her say independantly on these security matters, they would just tell us so.
Old Sep 12, 2006, 12:48 pm
Original Poster

error
Old Sep 12, 2006, 2:36 pm

It really bothers me as well that my co-workers are still making this annoucement. FYI, we are required to remind pax that they are to remain seated while the seat belt sign is on. BTW, is there someone we can report pax to for not following instructions and/or lighted info signs???
Old Sep 12, 2006, 2:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CALflyboi
FYI, we are required to remind pax that they are to remain seated while the seat belt sign is on. BTW, is there someone we can report pax to for not following instructions and/or lighted info signs???
Please continue to do so. If a passenger gets up when the seat belt is on, FA's should keep track of those folks. If there is a sudden drop in the aircraft - I have experienced this a few times - when FA goes to the ceiling - then any injury becomes the responsibility of the passenger and not CO. My view - CO is not legally responsible if the passenger violated the seat belt sign - and FA should be prepared to go to court to defend CO if necessary.

Just like someone jay walking - they are responsible - not the driver that hit them.
Old Sep 12, 2006, 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by cova
....and FA should be prepared to go to court to defend CO if necessary.

Shouldn't it be a two way street?
Old Sep 12, 2006, 6:42 pm

Once in the air, the Captain (PIC) is in command, period. No, he/she can not force you to pray, but he can enforce security related measures if he/she feels it is necessary. Whether it's paranoia or not, the captain can still do it. IF the captain plays the safety/security card, the company, his employer most likely will not have an issue with it. I may not agree with someone enforcing this rule, but asking people to remain seated for 30 minutes out of DCA is hardly comparable to making up checklists.

On AA, captains will often make a pre-flight PA saying that due to a TSA requirement passengers must use the lavatory in their ticketed cabin. That rule only applies to international flights, whats the difference between that and asking people to remain seated 30 minutes outside of DCA? Captains discretion
Really...I'd love to see the "Pilot" enforce it.
Old Sep 12, 2006, 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by CO Insider
Thanks Cova. I've received your PM and will be following up. The specifics you provided are very helpful.
If you both are PMing each other, why the need to make public announcements. While I don't like to hear that F/A's are still handling this incorrectly, I would think it would be more tactful if this was all conducted via PM. Just my .02
Old Dec 18, 2006, 11:08 am

Programs: CO Plat
Sorry to bump an old thread, but it came up again today on COEX 2167 CLE-DCA this morning. The flight attendant made the annoucement prior to the safety demonstration.

During the drink service I mentioned that the rule was repealed some time ago and was told that the requirement was explicitly stated on the pilot's flight information "So it must be a new rule. And the old rule was one hour anyway."

No mention of it was made by the pilot, in fact they didn't even make their "initial decent" annoucement until we were about 15 minutes from touchdown.
Old Dec 18, 2006, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kommissar Giga-Posting Direktor, PWP; Fasano Nouveau Aristocrat; CO Platinum; BD Gold; MR Gold
Last Friday (12/15), DCA-EWR on an ERJ, captain announced that the seatbelt sign would remain on due to "operational requirements" of DCA and EWR (??). Last night (12/17), EWR-DCA on a 735, seat belt sign was turned of after ascent and turned on again about 15 minutes before landing.
Old Feb 3, 2007, 3:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: CO Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by CO 1E
Last Friday (12/15), DCA-EWR on an ERJ, captain announced that the seatbelt sign would remain on due to "operational requirements" of DCA and EWR (??). Last night (12/17), EWR-DCA on a 735, seat belt sign was turned of after ascent and turned on again about 15 minutes before landing.
Today (2/3/07) EWR-DCA flight 1103, the 30 minute rule was announced by the pilot. curious as to the collective wisdom here -- is it worth my sending an email to customer service just so they are aware such things still occur.
Old Feb 3, 2007, 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by gawhite411
Today (2/3/07) EWR-DCA flight 1103, the 30 minute rule was announced by the pilot. curious as to the collective wisdom here -- is it worth my sending an email to customer service just so they are aware such things still occur.
Must be something in the air - my flight this morning, EWR-DCA CO1205, had the "the FAA rule requires everyone to remain seated while the seatbelt is fastened" rule announced by the female pilot. She added that she would be leaving the sign on for the duration of the flight, which had about 40 minutes of cruise time from top-of-climb in relatively smooth air.

Nevertheless, about 4 pax on my flight ignored her to use the lav during cruise.

I think COInsider is still interested in these reports, but he will probably get the info he needs from our posts here today.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.