757 with winglets

Old Jul 6, 2005, 8:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hhonors Gold, DL PM
757 with winglets

So, I'll be flying EWR-TXL on 7/12 and I wanted to know whats going on with the 757s going trans-atlantic. Are they nice to fly on trans-atlantic on CO? What about TVs or anyuthing else that you have experienced? This will also be my first 757 flight, so I'm kinda excited and nervous that it will be a huge suckfest.
Old Jul 6, 2005, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Diamond, B6 Mosaic, AS MPV Gold, UA Gold MM, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite
The longest 757 segment I've flown is IAH-SEA, in both domestic first and coach. So I can't say much about the comfort level on a flight two or three hours longer than that. There are plenty of people on here who will tell you that it's awful; many of whom have probably never actually flown a trans-Atlantic 757 flight. The seats in coach really aren't much different from those on the 767s and 777s, and have the same pitch as the ones on the 777s. Unfortunately the 757s do not have personal entertainment systems in coach, only in BusinessFirst. The 767s and 777s have a television monitor at every seat in both classes.

I personally wouldn't mind trying the 757 for a trans-Atlantic flight, especially if I could get upgraded. But even if I couldn't, sitting on that plane for a flight of that length would probably be no more uncomfortable than a flight of equal length in coach on a 767 or 777. Sure there's less room to get up and walk around, but the 757s do have a nice long aisle, with a couple of areas at the front and back where there's plenty of room to stand up and not block the aisle or other seats.
Old Jul 6, 2005, 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by AviationFreak
So, I'll be flying EWR-TXL on 7/12 and I wanted to know whats going on with the 757s going trans-atlantic. Are they nice to fly on trans-atlantic on CO? What about TVs or anyuthing else that you have experienced? This will also be my first 757 flight, so I'm kinda excited and nervous that it will be a huge suckfest.
There has been a couple of reports in this forum regarding the 752s going across the pond, including my own when I went to BRS in May. They can seem a bit cramped, but overall I did not mind it at all. They have drop down LCDs in coach that play movies and COvision throughout the flight. Definitely try to get one of the exit rows. 16 is the best but 15 still has a lot of legroom (but no recline).

IMHO there are not many major differences across the pond but rather preferences. Enjoy the direct flight and easy logistics of a small plane....
Old Jul 6, 2005, 9:49 pm

Programs: CO Platinum, AA Gold, UA Premier, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Silver
I have done transatlantic segments on the 752 many times, and BF is quite comfortable, but the entertainment selections are not as good as the 67s or 777. The service on the 752s seems much more personal because there are only 16 seats, and the flight attendants seem very efficient. Maybe its just a perception, but most of the 752 flights, there have been three flight attendants in the BF cabin, with on FA manning the galley and the other two having eight seats each to tend. Much smaller passenger:FA ration than on the 67s and 777.

I don't know what it is about the 752 BF seats, but a higher proportion of those seats seem to have problems vs. those seats on their 67-series cousins. On any given flight on a 752 BF to Europe, there has been at least one seat that has malfunctioned or is not working completely. I cannot say the same about the 67s/777s.

The longest segment I have ever done on a 757 personally is EWR to AMS not long after 9/11, and it was very, very cramped for a flight that long. I cannot imagine having to do that for even a half-hour longer, say EWR to Berlin or Hamburg.
Old Jul 7, 2005, 8:10 am

Programs: CO non-elite, Marriott Silver, SPG Gold
Where are you seated?
Old Jul 7, 2005, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
While others may claim pending doom and gloom from even thinking of taking such a flight on a 757, they are really fine. On the interior, the aircraft is just like a long 737. The fuselage is the same width. The seat pitch in Y is the standard CO 31" you find domestically. In Y, the entertainment system is essentially the same as the 737 as well, with fold-down LCD panels every few rows.
Old Jul 7, 2005, 9:28 am

Personally I can't stand them for international routes and will consider other options in the future. I've done about 4-6 Europe flights now in this aircraft and the 757 is by far is worse than a wide body. The worst I had by far was an 8 1/2hr flight to EWR from OSL a few months ago which was 100% full. I had an aisle with a huge guy in the middle (his petite wife had the window!) so I spent the entire flight bent to my right with my shoulder in the aisle getting knocked by everything and everyone who went by. Nice guy who even apologized about his size but it was a miserable flight.

No upgrades so you’re in the back. They are smaller planes so most flights are now full with very little chance of even a middle seat open. Also, even though the seats are basically the same as a coach wide body the single aisle plane feels much more cramped being much narrower. At least a wide body feels more open.

When I fly a CO wide body I’m now elated and feel rewarded, much like the feeling I used to have when I used to get my Platinum upgrades. My apologies for the rant…
Old Jul 7, 2005, 10:39 am
In Memoriam

Programs: CO OnePass Plat and SPG - Plat, Marriott Plat (don't use -it's a comp), AmericaWest CP
Taking a 757 across the pond is like a step back in time to the 707 days as the width and etc are very similiar.

Continental's 752 across the pond are basically like the domestic in coach and the slightly older BF seating.

You'll enjoy the expereince neverthe less. Last year when I went to TXL I flew KLN WBC... I rather have gone in Continental Coach...

Where are you staying? in TXL I'm a fan of the Westin Grande Berlin - its on the east side as it used to be the "best" hotel of east Berlin. They treat G/P SPG very good there. Renting a car is also soo much fun! We rented a lil benz c class CDI with navaigation... (interesting enough my hotel stay ended costing lass than my car rental!) I can't wait to go back again... [wendy I hope you're reading this and taking notes for when you go to TXL ]

-Vincent

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.