-Mileage Purchase Option
-Reward Upgrade Certificates
-Waived fees for Plats
and...
mileage segments as points
towards earning status!

[This message has been edited by ClassicalGal (edited 05-08-2001).]
Old May 8, 2001, 2:32 am

Thank you for the good CO News, ClassicalGal!
Old May 8, 2001, 2:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
Well, no more redeposit fee for plats, but didn't they recently raise it to $75 for everyone else?

They sure don't miss a trick in the miles-for-money game, either. $25 fee for retroactive crediting for new accounts and now you can buy up to 12,000 miles at $25 per 1,000.

In that vein, how's this for an idea for a promo: for a limited time, pets and lap children earn miles, and, for a $50 administrative fee, you can transfer those earnings to your OnePass account if you're the accompanying adult (and the fare was anything other than T or Q).

I'm concerned they'll push this miles-for-money thing too far and make it too easy to add new taxes that would cause the whole house of cards to come down. The IRS and most companies don't speak the language of "miles" well, but "money" is something they understand all too well.

I see there's still plenty of award seats between Atlanta and Cleveland (Does anyone actually use the reward travel forecasts?)
Old May 8, 2001, 3:30 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G
Originally posted by ClassicalGal:
mileage segments as points
towards earning status!
I don't understand what a "mileage segment" is. Miles earn elite status and segments earn elite status... so what's a mileage segment?

[This message has been edited by dbaker (edited 05-08-2001).]
Old May 8, 2001, 6:03 am

I just wonder what NJDavid will have to say about this....
Old May 8, 2001, 6:51 am
Original Member

Location: In protest of Flyertalk's uncalledfor censoring of my point of view, I cancelled my InsideFlyer subscription. So long, and thanks for everything.
I say, "just wait for the other shoe to drop."

They're making it easier to re-use your international upgrade certificates that have not cleared. Wonder why?
Old May 8, 2001, 7:25 am

Location: Alexandria, VA, USA NW Platinum Elite Since 1999, United GoldMM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz #1 Gold, IC Ambassador, Avis Chairman's
NJ David... Me thinks ALOT of people, including me, are waiting for rev. management to move seats from J & D to Z ... but I dont think it's been happening. I'm on an Int'l flight, 11 days out, 18 seats open in BF and no visible "releases" yet. Crossing my fingers!
Old May 8, 2001, 8:47 am
Original Member

Location: In protest of Flyertalk's uncalledfor censoring of my point of view, I cancelled my InsideFlyer subscription. So long, and thanks for everything.
From the one pass site...

I know this was mentioned here before, but was not aware it was on the website.

BF will go with empty seats if you don't clear 72 hours out.

Priority Waitlisting For Reward Travel
We'll help you get the reward you want. If reward seating is unavailable on Continental Airlines at the time of booking, you may ask to be placed on a reward wait list.

As additional reward seats become available, they will be allocated to Elite members first according to Elite status: Platinum Elite members receive top priority; Gold Elite members, next priority; and Silver Elite members, final priority over non-Elite members.

Waitlists are not permitted within 72 hours prior to departure for BusinessFirst upgrade rewards. Waitlisted segments not cleared on BusinessFirst flights 72 hours prior to departure are automatically cancelled.
Old May 8, 2001, 10:42 am

Programs: BA Gold, BMI Gold, LH Senator, Hyatt Diamond
Well, let me see if I understand why upgrading is so difficult. If say CO saves 7% of its seats for reward travel, what percentage is allowed for mileage upgrades or is this part of the 7%?

Imagine there are 24 BF on a 757 EWR-AMS. If only 7% of seats are reserved for mileage upgrades, this is only 1.68 seats available at all for award travel. Does this sound right? Disappointing?

Is there anywhere we can find out which airlines have larger percentages for mileage upgrades?

------------------
"Fly me to the moon and let me earn alot of miles."
Old May 8, 2001, 12:51 pm

Location: Alexandria, VA, USA NW Platinum Elite Since 1999, United GoldMM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz #1 Gold, IC Ambassador, Avis Chairman's
For what it's worth, I'm still waitlisted for BF on my outbound to HKG, but for my return from TPE on NW, I was confirmed in WBC at the time of the reservation, which was 3 weeks ago. I'd have thought some of the BF seats would have been released by now.
Old May 8, 2001, 1:28 pm

Waived fees for Platinum Elites
For a second I got excited that Platinum Elites would not have to pay change fees for changes to a discount economy ticket, but unfortunately not...

Old May 8, 2001, 4:47 pm
Original Member

From the OnePass Website on Mileage segments:

A new way to earn Elite status
Because we recognize our members’ growing interest in getting the most out of OnePass, we are introducing an exciting new way to achieve Elite status. Mileage segments are now counted as Elite points, which allow you to participate in offers that accelerate your ability to earn Elite status. Watch future issues of Update for details.
Old May 8, 2001, 5:18 pm

Originally posted by worldbanker:
Imagine there are 24 BF on a 757 EWR-AMS. If only 7% of seats are reserved for mileage upgrades, this is only 1.68 seats available at all for award travel. Does this sound right? Disappointing?
CO's international 757's with BF have only 16 BF seats, not 24. So I guess the chances for upgrades are even worse!
Old May 8, 2001, 5:29 pm

Location: Smoke filled room, TPA and FLL/MIA :UAL 1K and 2MM,AA EX PLAT and 2MM,Lifetime Plat Starwood
worldbanker, No the 7% is mearly an average. The reality is they allocate only what they think they can't sell. I fly to Hong Kong this week. Empty bizfirst seats, very easy upgrade. Hawaii... very difficult. All depends on the time of year and the route. Sometimes there might be zero seats or dozens. Remember, "lies, dam n lies and statistics..."

Zipper, at 30,21,14 and 7 days they seem to release. I think your likely to get it at day 7. OR you could pay the $100 change fee and go possibly a day earlier and immediatly confirm (if available). Just a possibility for you to consider.

NjDavid, Last week your promised negative changes to the one pass program this week. Turns out you're incorrect. All the changes are neutral or beneficial. Does your winery only produce vinegar? Now you again say that bad things are still coming... a broken clock is right twice a day. I'm sure enventually there will be a negative change somewhere down the road. But, that does not mean we have to keep crying the sky is falling... how about the old saying, "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all." Just a thought.
Old May 8, 2001, 5:33 pm

Nicely said Sir Cigar!! NJDavid's time has come....and gone!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.