Community
Wiki Posts
Search

beeeeeeeeeep

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2012, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by aacharya
Based on last night's SFO-EWR p.s., flight, yes. Family of six all tried to sit
together, but had two boys in the Exit Rows. FA was a bit frantic until two pax
agreed to move (from 10 to 5).

Of course, I couldn't sleep, as there were not one but two wailers and a cranky four-year old behind me.

So it happens...though I am seeing a bigger emphasis on exit-row seating lately.
Is p.s. service now being offered SFO-EWR?

I thought the p.s. flights only operated between SFO/LAX and JFK.......
Old Feb 10, 2012, 8:25 am

Programs: UA GS, AC Elite, Global Entry
Originally Posted by nycboy
Oh yes preventing people for sitting in exit row that are not eligible is really not worth 5-20 seconds per passenger.
More often than not the choke point in the boarding process is not scanning your BP, but rather the ramp and aisle once you are on board and looking for overhead space (all those oversize rollers). I doubt this process has any measurable impact on overall boarding time.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 8:43 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G
Originally Posted by rwsteelers
More often than not the choke point in the boarding process is not scanning your BP, but rather the ramp and aisle once you are on board and looking for overhead space (all those oversize rollers). I doubt this process has any measurable impact on overall boarding time.
Exit row pax tend to board first since they're gold/plat and there aren't jetway delays yet.

You're right about measurable impact, but in general, things that slow down a process tend to...slow down the process.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 9:08 am

Programs: UA GS, AC Elite, Global Entry
Originally Posted by dbaker
Exit row pax tend to board first since they're gold/plat and there aren't jetway delays yet.
Early in the process yes, but not before F, by which point you already have a line forming at the airplane door/galley, so the extra 20 seconds with the GA reduces your time waiting for F to get organized.

The real issue may be added time if GA has to reassign seats - not sure what was "wrong" with the old process of FA's doing their job and worst case scenario asking a few people swap seats. Anybody know what motivated this change from UA's perspective?
Old Feb 10, 2012, 10:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
The person in row 2 who stops, sets his personal item on the seat, puts his bag in the overhead, takes his coat off, folds it neatly, puts it in the overhead, opens his personal bag and takes out headset, paper, etc. ...then finally steps out of the aisle and into his seat - all done at a leisurely pace. Turns out to be my seatmate, has the nerve to comment later on the golden days of flying when 'people weren't in such a rush all the time, life was conducted at a more civilized pace'. Um, yeah, the aisles were wider and the hips were narrower back in those good old days...

Pro-active FAs definitely help here - tactful ways of saying 'please step out of the aisle - yes, Mr./Ms. DYKWIA, this also means you'.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 1:03 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by chollie
The person in row 2 who stops, sets his personal item on the seat, puts his bag in the overhead, takes his coat off, folds it neatly, puts it in the overhead, opens his personal bag and takes out headset, paper, etc. ...then finally steps out of the aisle and into his seat - all done at a leisurely pace. Turns out to be my seatmate, has the nerve to comment later on the golden days of flying when 'people weren't in such a rush all the time, life was conducted at a more civilized pace'. Um, yeah, the aisles were wider and the hips were narrower back in those good old days...

Pro-active FAs definitely help here - tactful ways of saying 'please step out of the aisle - yes, Mr./Ms. DYKWIA, this also means you'.
Doesn't stop me...I'll just say to the aisle lice "Excuse me...." and he/she will nearly always step into their row. Exception if the delay is caused by the person being unable to lift the bag - then I'll help, of course.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jlemon
Is p.s. service now being offered SFO-EWR?

I thought the p.s. flights only operated between SFO/LAX and JFK.......
Oops. JFK of course
Old Feb 10, 2012, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Early in the process yes, but not before F, by which point you already have a line forming at the airplane door/galley, so the extra 20 seconds with the GA reduces your time waiting for F to get organized.

The real issue may be added time if GA has to reassign seats - not sure what was "wrong" with the old process of FA's doing their job and worst case scenario asking a few people swap seats. Anybody know what motivated this change from UA's perspective?
More and more people buying the seats, but who aren't eligible. I've been
sitting there at least twice near folks who didn't speak English well at all...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.