Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HKG-EWR upgrade question

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2012, 12:01 pm
Original Poster

HKG-EWR upgrade question

I just booked a trip back to the US on April 1 (Sun) from HKG-EWR on CO 116.

My question is: which day is easier to get upgrade to business with SWU certificate, Sun or Mon?

I know this will be a tough upgrade route, giving it is almost 16 hours from HKG-EWR.

Thanks,
Old Feb 2, 2012, 2:05 pm

Programs: UA Aluminum 0.6MM, Bonvoy Life Sentence, Hyatt Eliteist, AA Super Plutonium
In my experience Monday is easier than Sunday but YMMV! are you on the waitlist yet?
Old Feb 2, 2012, 8:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Weekends are always the hardest for either direction, as the business types can get back to work on Monday. And this is not that hard a route for upgrades apart for mid-April to early-May and mid-Oct to early-Nov, with various big trade shows.
Old Feb 3, 2012, 11:14 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I'm waitlisted on EWR-HKG in mid-May and return from PEK in early June.
I booked immediately when the flights became available and the agent told me we were numbers 1 and 2 on the waitlist. But we are lowly Silvers.
I actually went ahead and paid extra for row 16 seats. I figure it's a small amount of $ to lose if I get the upgrade.
Old Feb 3, 2012, 3:44 pm

Programs: UA Aluminum 0.6MM, Bonvoy Life Sentence, Hyatt Eliteist, AA Super Plutonium
Originally Posted by IFlyHarder
I'm waitlisted on EWR-HKG in mid-May and return from PEK in early June.
I booked immediately when the flights became available and the agent told me we were numbers 1 and 2 on the waitlist. But we are lowly Silvers.
I actually went ahead and paid extra for row 16 seats. I figure it's a small amount of $ to lose if I get the upgrade.
How much were they?
Old Feb 3, 2012, 4:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by TommyC80
How much were they?
The Row 16 seats? I think about 150 each.
Old Feb 3, 2012, 10:00 pm

Programs: Hyatt GLOB, Marriott Lifetime PLT, UA 1K 1MM.
i'm not sure what the odds are, but if i had to bet i would guess that monday would be easier. i would assume that both people who are going for personal trips and business travelers would both have to be at work on monday, and seeing as asia->US is same day, sunday would probably be more busy.

take a look at both flights and see what the R/RN availability is. it's no guarantee, but it might give you an idea which one is getting filled faster.
Old Feb 7, 2012, 7:19 am

Programs: UA LT GS 4.2 MM, AA Gold 1MM, HH Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Gold
I have noticed that the upgrade standby list no longer shows for flight 98 & 99 on co.com. Anyone know why?
Old Feb 7, 2012, 9:12 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Gold, Marriott Gold Elite
Originally Posted by IAHMCI
I have noticed that the upgrade standby list no longer shows for flight 98 & 99 on co.com. Anyone know why?
It has something to do with the flight on record is operated by UA, not CO.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.