Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Downgraded on an award ticket - what to do?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2012, 12:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA:MM 1K HH:Diamond IHG:Plat Marriott:Plat

I redeemed two one way onepass first class saver awards for family YUL-ORD-SAN (all UA metal). Due to a mechanical YUL-ORD was delayed by 4 hrs and they could not make the connection at ORD. They were instead accomodated on Y on AA for ORD-SAN. Is there a possibility that I can get a partial refund of the miles due to not being flown in the ticketed class. If so, how do I go about requesting the refund.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 12:53 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Originally Posted by expressboy
I redeemed two one way onepass first class saver awards for family YUL-ORD-SAN (all UA metal). Due to a mechanical YUL-ORD was delayed by 4 hrs and they could not make the connection at ORD. They were instead accomodated on Y on AA for ORD-SAN. Is there a possibility that I can get a partial refund of the miles due to not being flown in the ticketed class. If so, how do I go about requesting the refund.
Technically the cost is the same for an award ticket YUL-ORD as it is YUL-ORD-SAN... that said they will probably give you a goodwill credit of some miles back or an e-cert. Email 1KVoice.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Was F sold out on AA? UA should have protected them in F if available, as they were on an F ticket.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 2:42 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Have you actually seen that done very much?

(The answer to "has it ever happened" is *always* "yes" - but I am asking whether that is what really happens even "pretty often").

It is my understanding that most airlines will not protect you, with award tickets, in First/Business but will give you a choice: a) stay on our airline until we have a First/Business seat available; b) take a coach seat (on us or on someone else) if you want to get there sooner.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sbrower
Have you actually seen that done very much?

(The answer to "has it ever happened" is *always* "yes" - but I am asking whether that is what really happens even "pretty often").

It is my understanding that most airlines will not protect you, with award tickets, in First/Business but will give you a choice: a) stay on our airline until we have a First/Business seat available; b) take a coach seat (on us or on someone else) if you want to get there sooner.

It absolutely happens, and it's supposed to.

F pax get reaccommodated in F if available.

I think what happens is that there are so many upgraders, GAs assume that F pax are really Y pax with an upgrade unless they look closely.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 3:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If the YUL-ORD flight was not on the CR7 such that the actual travel was entirely in Y then you are definitely due the difference back between the Y and F award points rates.

Originally Posted by channa
I think what happens is that there are so many upgraders, GAs assume that F pax are really Y pax with an upgrade unless they look closely.
Must be that pesky UI that makes it so hard to figure out what's going on.

Last edited by sbm12; Jan 27, 2012 at 3:16 pm
Old Jan 27, 2012, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sbm12
Must be that pesky UI that makes it so hard to figure out what's going on.
Could be. Or AA was full, or the agent missed it, or who knows.
Old Feb 6, 2012, 12:57 pm
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for the useful answers. Some clarifications. YUL-ORD was in F on a CR7. The AA plane did not have any empty seats when they boarded it in ORD, but AA was still selling F when they left YUL, and the GA was not willing to try.
Old Feb 6, 2012, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks to everyone for the useful answers. Some clarifications. YUL-ORD was in F on a CR7. The AA plane did not have any empty seats when they boarded it in ORD, but AA was still selling F when they left YUL, and the GA was not willing to try.
Which GA was not willing to try?

AA is not going to upgrade a Y ticket for free (when UA rebooked you into Y, UA reissued the ticket and is paying AA for a Y seat).

UA's GA should have secured you AA F space and reissued your ticket into F.
Old Feb 6, 2012, 3:09 pm
Original Poster

Which GA was not willing to try?

AA is not going to upgrade a Y ticket for free (when UA rebooked you into Y, UA reissued the ticket and is paying AA for a Y seat).

UA's GA should have secured you AA F space and reissued your ticket into F.
The UA GA in YUL . I did not expect anything from AA.
Old Feb 6, 2012, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The UA GA in YUL . I did not expect anything from AA.
Perfect. Then your beef is 100% with UA, as the UA agent refused to rebook you in the class of service paid for.
Old Feb 7, 2012, 12:56 am
uwr

Programs: AS MVP Gold75K
Perfect. Then your beef is 100% with UA, as the UA agent refused to rebook you in the class of service paid for.
The tickets were award tickets. I didn't know that they were treated the same as paid tickets.

I have been fortunate not to have had IRROPS on an award ticket. My understanding was that award tickets are treated worse than paid tickets in the situation of IRROPS. Am I mistaken?
Old Feb 7, 2012, 7:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by uwr
The tickets were award tickets. I didn't know that they were treated the same as paid tickets.

I have been fortunate not to have had IRROPS on an award ticket. My understanding was that award tickets are treated worse than paid tickets in the situation of IRROPS. Am I mistaken?

Award tickets are treated like paid tickets in IRROPS.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.