Wiki Posts
Search

When checking-in doesn't check you in

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2012, 1:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
When checking-in doesn't check you in

Just went through the check-in process on CO for two itineraries and had the boarding passes sent to my email. Email says that BPs need to be obtained at the airport. Checked the upgrade waitlist and neither of our names is on the waitlist (I even gave it time to update).

Called CO ELITE and was told that I didn't check-in. I read the specific wording from the site to the agent "Thank you for checking-in at continental.com .... We look forward to seeing you at the airport.... yadda yadda" and she told me she was sorry but I did not check-in.

I asked her if she could check me in, and she said I should do that on the website. We went back and forth a few times with me explaining that I checked in online and her telling me that I was not checked-in but I could check-in online.

Escalated to online support. He says I'm not checked-in. He takes my info, says okay, you're checked-in. Looks at the upgrade list, I'm not there. Then he says I'm not checked-in. Tells me that my upgrade will not take place unless I check-in.

What gives? Why would the website tell me I'm checked-in if I'm not checked-in? Looking more and more like .bomb every day.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 1:51 am
Original Poster

I tried the mobile site as well... similar issue. Getting the following message:

Travelers Requiring Travel Documents
*Document must be verified at the airport to complete check-in and obtain a boarding pass.
Odd... site tells you that you've checked-in when you haven't checked-in.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 3:17 am

Programs: MP 1K
Is it something like this? (Passport check affect swu-chances.html)

Is this an international flight?
Old Jan 12, 2012, 7:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JasperVal
Is it something like this? (Passport check affect swu-chances.html)

Is this an international flight?
Yes international (Mexico). Similar, but no SWU used, and flight is wholly on CO.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 8:20 am

Programs: UA 1K, MM, AMEX Plat, Hertz 1, SPG Plat
Yup.

You have to swipe your passport. Once it's saved in the system, you will only have to check in like once a year.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 8:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WBrinegar
Yup.

You have to swipe your passport. Once it's saved in the system, you will only have to check in like once a year.
Seriously? That's pretty unfriendly... I've never needed to do that on UA, you can just enter your information and it's stored for you.

Ugh... so much for getting an upgrade.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 10:40 am

Originally Posted by WBrinegar
That's the theory. In practice, some of us end up having to do it EVERY TIME and putting up with all the problems of not being able to check in on-line that the OP mentioned.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 11:13 am

Programs: CO PresPlat, UA GS, Marriott Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Fairmont Premier, BA Silver, AVIS PresCircle
Originally Posted by spagiola
That's the theory. In practice, some of us end up having to do it EVERY TIME and putting up with all the problems of not being able to check in on-line that the OP mentioned.
ON CO I thought check-in time is the last and final criteria for assigning upgrades, that is all other things equal, first checked in gets the upgrade?

So basically unless OP has exact low status, low fare type on this reservation versus the person ahead of him in upgrade line, this would be the only instance his upgrade wqoudl be spoiled by not being able to check in?

Basically on CO, if a Plat checks in last minute on a full fare, he'll sweep ahead of the person who checked in number one on the flight 24 hours in advance anyway.

This is why peopels names slip down the upgrade list a the day gets closer to departure...

Never undersstood why so many get soo out of joiunt because OLCI fails.

I understand it could affect seat assignments to some degree (such as if bulkhead had to be taken away for a special needs or something along those lines), but even those swaps are not common.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.