Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Will Continental Become United Or Vice Versa...Song of the South

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will Continental Become United Or Vice Versa...Song of the South

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2011, 10:13 am
Suspended

Programs: CO Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by dinoscool3

CO has more flights then any other US airline to the UK, Ireland, India, and Japan. Last time I checked UA doesn't even serve India!
Shh. The UA apologists have this view that theirs was a global carrier of the first rate that was world renowned, and that CO was little regional operation run out of Texas. The fact that the opposite is true is not to be mentioned.
Old Feb 9, 2011, 11:48 am

Programs: UA-GS - MM, Hilton-Diamond,SPG-Gold,National-Ex. Elite, Hyatt -Plat.
As I seem to remember, Continental sharholders recieved 1.1 shares of the new company, per share owned, and United shareholders recieved .9 shares of the new company,per share owned. Let me think, that would make the fiscally larger company who? Oh that's right, CO!
Old Feb 9, 2011, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador

CO has more flights then any other US airline to the UK, Ireland, India, and Japan. Last time I checked UA doesn't even serve India!
You mean CO has more flights to Japan than any other US airlines?

How many flights a day CO flies to Japan? Two? IAH-NRT, EWR-NRT?

UA flies to NRT from SFO/ORD/LAX/SEA/IAD, sometimes 2 flights a day (and SFO-KIX too).

DL? DTW/ATL/MSP/LAX/SFO/SEA/PDX to NRT .....

Don't think even creative CO marketing dept could claim that.

India? Yeah. One flight a day to DEL. UA flies to KWI. Does that make a big deal?
Old Feb 9, 2011, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gawhite411
Shh. The UA apologists have this view that theirs was a global carrier of the first rate that was world renowned, and that CO was little regional operation run out of Texas. The fact that the opposite is true is not to be mentioned.
yeah, we all see that

In this thread, someone claimed CO BF is better than UA int'l F.

Then another claimed CO flies to Japan more than any other US carrier, which is way, way off

Sure, the opposite is true
Old Feb 9, 2011, 12:15 pm

Programs: AA (ExPlat).DL,UA Hertz (Pres Circle); Avis (First), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott (Gold)
Originally Posted by robyng
Why do you think CO is better than UA? And in what ways? Only time I ever flew UA more than once in a blue moon was perhaps 30 years ago - and we took trips from MIA to ski country out west at least once a year in the winter. And I do have a vague recollection of my UA miles (not tons - but enough to care about) being orphaned at some point - and having to get a Diner's Club credit card - so I could move the UA miles there - and then move them somewhere else so I could do something with them. Robyn
1. Presidents club generally a bit nicer than the RCC's in most cities, IMHO, although they are a bit closer now. Some RCC's were downright ratty.
2. Up until last fall, CO still had food service in Y.
3. Generally CO personnel have had better morale than UA, and therefore service "seemed" better.
4. Other than that I liked the old United too. All US flag carriers are equally bad on domestic service - it is non existent and they have trained the passengerrs to expect nothing. So that's what you get.
Old Feb 9, 2011, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by PhlyingRPh
Are you sure about this? Many UA 1K's and GS's are a little concerned about the merger's impact on the quality of irops service we receive. Many of us are not happy about the potential of three (actually, four) cabin aircraft becoming two cabin aircraft and the upgrades we are used to receiving decreasing materially. Other UA elites are concerned about E+ being eliminated. I'm sure there are some things that CO excels at over UA but I have not as yet been able to identify them.
+1

As far as the CO/UA crew personalities, I feel as though the UA crews are a lot friendlier. CO MCO-IAH had one of the rudest crews that I've ever flown with. Death stare from the FA, no smiles, etc. Compare that to the UA purser on IAH-DEN that chatted up each pax, offered suggestions for things in DEN, and was overall, very friendly..

I'm pretty worried about the merger, especially the "30-60 days for seating announcement".. $mi$ek would be an idiot to get rid of E+.
Old Feb 9, 2011, 1:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: CO Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by kb1992
yeah, we all see that

In this thread, someone claimed CO BF is better than UA int'l F.

Then another claimed CO flies to Japan more than any other US carrier, which is way, way off

Sure, the opposite is true
CO BF's soft product is better than UA int'l F. The food in UA F is terrible.
Old Feb 9, 2011, 2:32 pm
In memoriam
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
+1

As far as the CO/UA crew personalities, I feel as though the UA crews are a lot friendlier. CO MCO-IAH had one of the rudest crews that I've ever flown with. Death stare from the FA, no smiles, etc. Compare that to the UA purser on IAH-DEN that chatted up each pax, offered suggestions for things in DEN, and was overall, very friendly..

I'm pretty worried about the merger, especially the "30-60 days for seating announcement".. $mi$ek would be an idiot to get rid of E+.
Maybe those CO FAs were just sick of dealing with lots of families with small kids going to visit Mickey Mouse? There are certainly families with young kids who are well behaved - but there are lots of kids who drive me nuts. Robyn
Old Feb 9, 2011, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Maybe those CO FAs were just sick of dealing with lots of families with small kids going to visit Mickey Mouse? There are certainly families with young kids who are well behaved - but there are lots of kids who drive me nuts. Robyn
There were no kids in F on the 753.
Old Feb 9, 2011, 2:41 pm
In memoriam
Original Poster

Originally Posted by star_crazy
I hate to intrude on private grief, but, as an earlier poster said, the problem is that you have become used to pretty sub-standard service both on the ground (truly dreadful at many hubs I'm afraid) and in the air in the US. The experience in Europe (and even more so in Asia) is far better (although sadly heading the same way with reduced catering and in flight charging)

UA, CO (who, without doubt, are superior to UA in most areas) and the other legacy carriers do not come close to comparing with the best European or Asian carriers for service quality and consistency

I make a notable exception though for Virgin America (and I'm no fan of Virgin Atlantic) who have really tried to be innovative and offer a refeshing change from the big boys....clearly not that useful unless you live in SFO though!!
I only flew Virgin Atlantic once. Ironically on an Upper Class reward ticket that I booked through Continental (they were partners then - don't know what the story is now). Wonderful flight from MCO. And the Upper Class lounge at the UK end was fabulous. Best lounge I've ever been in. Robyn
Old Feb 9, 2011, 2:57 pm
In memoriam
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
There were no kids in F on the 753.
Well there goes that excuse .

I guess - overall - having thought about this for a while - is I hope we'll be getting better service out of JAX to the midwest as a result of the merger. I don't mean flight attendants who are happy all the time and great food - I know I'm not going to get that. Just more non-stop flights to more places. And I will miss CO being part of the AMEX MR program. Makes the program a lot less valuable to me. Robyn
Old Feb 9, 2011, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
You mean CO has more flights to Japan than any other US airlines?

How many flights a day CO flies to Japan? Two? IAH-NRT, EWR-NRT?

UA flies to NRT from SFO/ORD/LAX/SEA/IAD, sometimes 2 flights a day (and SFO-KIX too).

DL? DTW/ATL/MSP/LAX/SFO/SEA/PDX to NRT .....

Don't think even creative CO marketing dept could claim that.

India? Yeah. One flight a day to DEL. UA flies to KWI. Does that make a big deal?

To India CO flies to BOM as well. And to Japan, they fly to HIJ, FUK, NGO, KIJ, OKJ, KIX, CTS, and SDJ, as well as NRT. Forgot about CO Micronesia?
Old Feb 9, 2011, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Sin
sgn
bkk
tpe
icn
syd
kix
mel
dxb
kwi
dme
acc
koa
lih

I'd happily trade India and some 2nd tier cities for this kind of true global coverage

Last edited by UA-NYC; Feb 9, 2011 at 6:19 pm
Old Feb 9, 2011, 6:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And I will miss CO being part of the AMEX MR program. Makes the program a lot less valuable to me. Robyn
+1

I transferred a bunch of AMEX MR points to my CO account. I do wish the combined airline would go with AMEX & Chase, but UA has such a strong partnership with Chase...
Old Feb 9, 2011, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Arrow

To India CO flies to BOM as well. And to Japan, they fly to HIJ, FUK, NGO, KIJ, OKJ, KIX, CTS, and SDJ, as well as NRT. Forgot about CO Micronesia?
Ops, CO Micronesia's 737 planes don't count.

These planes are regional planes with no BF seats.

Also, do you have to fly some middle island in Pacific in order to connect CO Micronesia?

As UA-NYC said, I would be happy to trade your India DEL/BOM plus

HIJ
FUK
NGO
KIJ
OKJ
CTS
SDJ

for this kind of true global coverage

SIN
SYD
BKK
TPE
SGN
ICN
KIX
MEL
DXB
KWI
ACC
KOA
LIH
DME

where a true global airlines fly there!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.